SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
When is drug use okay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbert  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
You also have to keep breathing to continue being alive. Guess we should shitcan the idea of breathing then.

You can't compare a basic requirement like breathing because you have to in order to live to taking drugs because you're addicted.

Squirrel wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
I've got a very simple view on drug use: if you want to use the drug, go for it. Don't harm anyone else in the process.

I agree with this 100%.

That's what I think. I've known enough people who use it for recreational ends who haven't gotten into any trouble whatsoever.
It's the "don't harm others in the process" part which is hard to do.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: When is drug use okay? Reply with quote

Fhdra's post is so laughably meaningless that I'm not even going to waste my time addressing it properly.

directshot999 wrote:

I meant in terms of drug use. Music, girls, good movies, guitar hero, funny videos, speeding, and making jokes don't involve physical needs. Marijuana, of all drugs, is the best one to go for IMO because it's least addictive, and there really is no physical withdrawal possible except in extreme cases.

You can't say "fun = addiction" and then continue by saying "yes, but only drugs count". Bringing the "physical" or physiological aspect into play is redundant too - you enjoy drugs every time you experience fun. Hell, cocaine is pretty much a dopamine/serotonin overdose. Pretty much the same can be said for amphetamines, to an extent. Many prescription drugs work in similar ways, as well.

Drugs are fun, fun is drugs; does it really matter in which order they come?

Also, your post implies that people say "I want to try drugs! Which one should I take?", which is only true of an (admittedly vocal) small minority of users.

On-topic: as long as you're not hurting anyone, do what you like. Of course, that brings up the issue that you can never be sure (or even remotely confident) that in the drugs' path from their manufacturer to you - and even before that point - nothing violent or damaging has been perpetrated by the people you're paying, the people they're paying and so on. It's a little small-minded to assume that just because you buy your weed from a friendly guy down the street who just sells an ounce a week for a little extra cash that you're not funding a dangerous and organised drug-dealing syndicate. In fact, chances are pretty good that you are, even with weed. This is not alarmism - it's completely true.

However, it's not the reason that I don't take illicit drugs. I don't even take licit drugs most of the time*. You can say the same about damn near any industry. Hell, I eat beef without the consent of the cow. I wear Primark clothes. Sooner or later, someone down the line has been hurt by the things I buy and eat. The same can be said for the vast majority of people in the USA and Europe. It gets a lot more press when it's drugs, but should it?

* I can't be bothered to look up the antonym of "illicit". EDIT: Holy shit it actually is "licit"
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
Drug use is never okay. End of story. We can thank modern drugs for the increase in human population to the point where we are going to start waring over food and water...

AAAAAAAAAA-

OpenYourEyes wrote:
I've got a very simple view on drug use: if you want to use the drug, go for it. Don't harm anyone else in the process.

Yup, pretty much this. I don't care what people do, just as long as they're not being a dick about it. It's none of my business unless they decide to make it my business. I might offer an opinion at that point, but my overall view is still gonna be "do what the hell you like".

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: When is drug use okay? Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
I've seen what drugs do to people firsthand, and the drug I blame is marijuana because it was the bridge to the stronger drugs that ruined their life.

This is personal experience, and I personally do not blame you for having this viewpoint, as I think alcohol is pretty much the worst thing ever (given my personal experience and seeing what it did to my parents), but this is not the case all the time. In fact, weed can either be a bridge, or not addictive or people not wanting to go harder than that, or people directly jumping to harder stuff.

Fhdra wrote:
Drug use is never okay. End of story. We can thank modern drugs for the increase in human population to the point where we are going to start waring over food and water...

I honestly do not know how to reply to this, you need to back up this up or I'm going to point like Nelson and laugh.

sukergod wrote:
I know for the most part, people who uses drugs as a recreation are best kind but in terms of crime its not unheard of to hear about how some crime to a family of murder, theft or battery is due in part to drug use. The fact is we all know that gut/ girl who gets loaded or high and wants to take on the world. Someone gets addicted to meth or yes even weed and they take away resources that could go to their family instead or worse, they take from someone else. This is not unheard off. Unfortunately for some percentage of people the drug's cause them to do harm to others in the process and will continue so. Whether it be stealing money from your grandmother to taking money from your sons college fund it happens.

Then it's simple; it stops being OK and that's when you get help and try to stop, since it crossed over into the realm of harming others.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbert wrote:
You can't compare a basic requirement like breathing because you have to in order to live to taking drugs because you're addicted.

You can't compare a dependency on a drug because of an illness to a chemical or psychological addiction to something like alcohol, either, but you seem to be fine doing that.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drug gateway is a fallacy.

I'm assuming the drug gateway argument is "Most people who smoke harder drugs started with softer drugs such as marijuana. Thus, smoking marijuana has a good chance of introducing you to harder drugs."

Wrong. Wrongwrongwrong. Just because people who use, say, heroin have used, say, marijuana in the past does not mean that people who use marijuana will use heroin. Correlation does not imply causation.

The most this theory has going for it is a hypothetical situation where someone tries a drug that's illegal for poor reasons, such as marijuana, and suffers no ill effects, and then assumes that all drugs are illegal for poor reasons and won't harm him. As long as you're not an idiot like this, using certain drugs does not lead to using other drugs.
sukergod  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: When is drug use okay? Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
Then it's simple; it stops being OK and that's when you get help and try to stop, since it crossed over into the realm of harming others.

In a perfect world yes it would be that simple, but think about how many people don't think they have a problem or don't want to stop when they are doing these things and harming others. Until they themselves realize they have the problem and want to stop, the percentage of them asking for help is quite small.

Like don't get me wrong, im not in any boat about taking them or not taking them, i just think there is more to be aware of then stopping if you are addicted or not. For me, running or eating chips is an addiction. Unless you physically tear your ACL or try and figure out what you are figuratively speaking "running from" then you will think its fine.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not harming anyone else by running and eating chips.

Also they're called interventions.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
sukergod  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:
You're not harming anyone else by running and eating chips.

Also they're called interventions.

ahhh but that depends on your definition of harming someone. If I have a family that im suppose to support and take care of but im to concerned about eating fatty foods, thus gain weight and have heart problems, does that not affect your family. If I was an athlete who was more concerned about being in shape then anything (make because im anorexic) and i was constantly running to get thinner and thinner then how does that not affect everyone around me. It might not be physical harm but its still emotional none the less.

And yes interventions are great, but think of the people who dont want the help. they dont see a problem to fix, so whats the issue.

Last edited by sukergod on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addiction harms the user; the overuse harms his friends.

Also, what sukergod said.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Chat wrote:
When is drug use okay?

General Chat wrote:
Drunk Thread

3926 0220 0199 1364
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joekickass1234 wrote:
General Chat wrote:
When is drug use okay?

General Chat wrote:
Drunk Thread

That pretty much fits my post when I first posted here a page back.
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
Okay everyone, enjoy the world in 80 years when we have Russia or India or China pointing nukes at us because they don't have enough food for their population...

There's always going to be world hunger.

There's also going to be laws, I'm very sure, for people limiting the amount of children they have. You'd be better off blaming the people who have 5 or 6 children (or 20) than medicine.

The population of Russia is only 141,850,000, compared to the US's 307,006,550.

There's no point in arguing with you because you are absolutely wrong. Your view is wrong, your logic is wrong (but logic is an opinion right?), and the way you're going about it is wrong. Overpopulation will always be there regardless or not of how advanced the medicine is. The whole reason why you're alive now is because of medicine, but I'm sure a hypocrite like you doesn't go to the hospital when you're sick, to curb overpopulation right?

Are you also really close minded and sadistic enough that you believe it's best for sick people to die from common sicknesses that would otherwise be gone in an instant from medicine?

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

That list would be a lot higher up if it wasn't for the advancements in medicine.

I'm sure you're only doing this for the attention though, because it seems like your only objective is to troll. If not, then you're either 10 or you have no knowledge of anything we're talking about and can not contribute in a positive way to this thread. After this post, I am done giving you attention because you do not deserve any of it. Go study up on this subject, go ask a doctor, oh wait you won't, or go leave this thread now. Stop being wrong. Stop making my blood boil. Get smarter or leave.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
Smoke weed erryday.
jdamillio  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: When is drug use okay? Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
I suffer from chronic nausea. I drink ginger ale every morning to help keep symptoms down. However, occasionally I will use marijuana to divert the nausea while also enjoying its effects. This would be both medical and recreational.

(potental post to save thread hopefully?) this this this this this. i smoke weed mainly to help me sleep, eat (especially in the morning), focus, and it really increases my sense of rhythm (i'd smoke before i played GH everytime). Like you, I also enjoy the effects. i'm still 100% in control of myself, my speech isn't altered when i'm high, and i can still live my everyday life just as i would if i didn't smoke. with sleep, there was one night in the last couple years that i didn't smoke before i went to bed. that's the only night in those years that i stayed up longer than 24 hours only because i litterally could not sleep. i can't eat in the mornings, or after school if i don't smoke before, because i get nautious after just a couple bites. when i do smoke, i eat just like anyone else. i can only eat in the morning if i wait about 4 - 5 hours, if i don't smoke. if i do, i can eat right after. i can focus pretty good when i don't smoke but i'm just better when i smoke, but that might be the same with other things. in the last year and a couple months, i've played drums sober twice maybe. my rhythm really isn't the best when i don't smoke. and when i do, i can just "go with it," you know. so if it helps for your nausea, then there is no reason to not use it. it isn't killing you, despite what everyone thinks (with the amount i, and certainly many people smoke, we'd all be dead long ago) and it's doing what a medicine is SUPPOSED to do; cure. other drugs only cure you in the way of that your body needs that drug only. weed does the opposite; it can help for daily life needs. your body doesn't withdrawl and start to break down when it's not there like other drugs. sure you may be depressed for a bit, but compare that to the withdrawl of other drugs. yea...

edit: also, it has helped keep me out of trouble. before i started smoking (8th grade, i know, young), there was about a 8 month span, where i was arrested 3 times. 8th grade comes by, i start smoking, i haven't been arrested since. it's helped me make better decisions in my life and i know i would not nearly be as smart and intelligent as i am now without it. i'd most likely be sitting in real jail right now since i just turned 18 two days ago lol

sorry this post turned out so long, thought you'd want some opinions though

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio

Last edited by jdamillio on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When is drug use okay? Reply with quote

jdamillio wrote:
that's the only night in those years that i stayed up longer than 24 hours only because i litterally could not sleep.

Have you tried any other alternatives, like buying Melatonin and taking one of those every night before you go to sleep? I'm not against smoking weed every night if it helps you, just thought I'd throw something else in. I can't go to sleep very well either, and someone on this forum (I think it was fugitive?) suggested that I look into Melatonin, and it works wonders for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: