Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
When is drug use okay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcedyourmom  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them. Even the addict should be allowed to use drugs as he pleases.

Hobo111  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this is that it's OK in most cases, as long as it isn't hurting anyone else, like smoking.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: inadvertent strawman
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
fcedyourmom  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
fcedyourmom wrote:
All of them. Even the addict should be allowed to use drugs as he pleases.

Would you let a mentally ill man jump in front of a speeding train because it's "his choice"?

induringstrawman
Actually, yes, I would, since this man is only mentally ill by the decision of the majority. Not that it's an apt comparison, seeing as there's a major difference between legally prosecuting someone who chooses unhealthy behavior and stopping someone from committing suicide.

Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright - I may as well respond to that, because there's some interesting points.

Would you, then, let someone who you personally believe is mentally ill - to the point where they are unaware of the danger into which they're entering - jump in front of a train? Or run into a main road? Operate heavy machinery, even? Hold your newborn baby? A person with a drug addiction is situationally analogous to someone who is severely mentally/emotionally/psychosocially handicapped, in that their choices, priorities and logical pathways consistently appear irrational, in the same ways and to the same degrees, to the majority of people. They may know they're addicted, and they may know that their habit is self-destructive on a conscious level - but be ill-equipped to apply that knowledge to their actions.

I'm a caffeine addict, like most people in the Western world. I know that if I go a few weeks without touching the stuff, I'll feel more awake and alert, and generally happier. Will I, knowing this, go without my five or six daily cups of coffee? Hell no. It's a fundamental flaw in the human psyche - I know I'm being ridiculous by not quitting, but I simply don't care. I'll invent excuse after excuse to rationalise it to myself, too: I can't quit now, I need caffeine to revise for my exams in May! I can't quit now, I don't want to be a grumpy fucker for my friend's birthday on Thursday! I can't quit now, I can't have a bacon sandwich without a coffee!

I'll lie to myself day and night if it'll let me carry on drinking coffee and feeling good about it, and so will anyone. Sounds ridiculous, really, because it is. Humans are deeply and fundamentally psychologically flawed. Things which feel like choices often (arguably, always) aren't. And sometimes, people can benefit in the long run from seemingly arbitrary prohibition.

Another example: a hypochondriac who refuses to see a doctor out of fear of confirmation of his suspicions of colon cancer, ALS/MS, lymphoma, whatever. Better yet, a child afraid of the dentist. Every child benefits from being dragged along for a dental procedure against her will. It builds their character and reassures them that their fear is ill-founded. Likewise, a drug addict scared to face a day without their drug of choice will (far more often than not) benefit from being forcibly removed from it by factors outside their control and corrupted willpower.

Bear in mind the above post is largely just me playing devil's advocate, and you by no means should feel you have to respond. I just use SH as a sounding board for my own ideas now, really.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
jdamillio  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
I simply don't care. I'll invent excuse after excuse to rationalise it to myself, too: I can't quit now, I need caffeine to revise for my exams in May! I can't quit now, I don't want to be a grumpy fucker for my friend's birthday on Thursday! I can't quit now, I can't have a bacon sandwich without a coffee

wow you hit this RIGHT on target with me and cigarettes. i obviously know it's better to quit but i don't have any care in me to do it. i know it's physically addicting, but you can't quit if you don't care enough to do it. a cig after breakfast, lunch, dinner; after any food really, kind of "completes the meal." you smokers know exactly what i mean. especially with coffee... oh my god

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
fcedyourmom  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
snip
Again, there's a major difference between someone who is insane to the point of not knowing that jumping in front of a train is dangerous and someone who is severely addicted to any substance. Continuing use of a dangerous substance seems irrational from a distance, but not if you know severe opiate withdrawals will occur if you do so. Drug addicts aren't as mentally unstable as they are desperate to stave off the cravings and withdrawals of their favorite poison. You don't forgo sleeping, even though the extra 8 hours a day would be nice to have, because sleep deprivation will occur and you'll be miserable without sleep for too long, a being who doesn't need sleep might look at those who sleep as irrational, because they waste a solid third of their lives doing nothing, but since humans need sleep to function properly, as a drug addict needs their fix, it's perfectly rational.

Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see exactly where you're coming from and to a large extent I agree. It was just food for thought, an attempt to feed the discussion that ended up as a train-of-thought rant/extended argument by analogy. Largely just a form of procrastination for me, really; I'd much rather type poorly-thought-out arguments on SH than actually do any Human Metabolism revision, after all
JOE2210 wrote:
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done LSD 3 times a year for the past 2 years during the summer months. During my trips I go out into a nature reserve in my city walk around, meditate, write in a notebook, or play guitar. Then I go home and contemplate how i will use the insight gained from my trips to better my life.

I can not fathom a way how that would not be "okay" drug use.

I also smoke weed about once a day before I go to bed. I have always had trouble falling asleep at night. Normally it would take me about 30 minute to fall asleep. If I smoke about 20 minutes before I go to bed, and it takes me about 5 minutes.

I am on a tolerance break right now, and haven't smoked in 17 days now. It takes me about 30 minutes to fall asleep these past 17 days.

I consider all of my drug use to be just fine.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
Gobor  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont anyone using drugs as long as it isnt affecting me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: