ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal subgenre argument thread!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: The Metal subgenre argument thread! Reply with quote

Everyone who listens to metal has argued over what subgenre a metal band belongs to. Everyone who has argued over what a subgenre of metal is has researched it on Wikipedia for hours on end. This topic is to argue over the characteristics of each subgenre, along with examples (Well not argue, but I hope to create some sort of archive or reference of the different subgenres and what gives them their characteristics.) Mostly, the point of this thread is to expose yourself to different genres of music, and discover new bands that appeal to your tastes. I'll start off with a couple which I have a general knowledge of defining (I welcome corrections and suggestions. I'd love to gather up as much knowledge as possible.)

Metalcore: (Sometimes categorized as Hardcore)
Generally, metalcore consists of tons of breakdowns and 808 bass drops. For those who don't know, an 808 bass drop is when a band either uses a sampling pad or a studio mixer to add in an extremely low frequency sound. Depending on your sound system or equalizer settings, some may be able to hear them better than others. This is also why subwoofers come in handy; to shake the living shit out of anything within a mile's radius. These normally go at the beginning of a breakdown. Anyway, back to metalcore. A lot of metalcore bands use "chugging" riffs and are in dropped guitar tunings (drop C, most frequently). They also include singers who are able to both scream, and sing clean. This subgenre mostly appeals to teenagers for some reason, and often have lyrical themes about Christianity. In fact, a very good amount of metalcore bands consider themselves Christian metalcore bands. That's not what gives it the genre of course, but it's just a little bit of irony. Some examples of metalcore bands are:
For Today - Seraphim
The Word Alive - The Wretched (You know them from RBN)
August Burns Red - Crusades

Also see:
The Devil Wears Prada
Dr. Acula
Bring Me the Horizon
Asking Alexandria
Old Avenged Sevenfold

(I don't listen to much metalcore bands so I only listed a couple popular ones, but add to the list if you wish and I'll edit the OP.)

Deathcore:
This is where it gets complicated. Deathcore is a mix of metalcore and death metal, resulting in the name. Deathcore is very similar to metalcore in ways, but very different. Both deathcore and metalcore have a good amount of breakdowns, but deathcore songs are often faster and more technical (with exceptions of course). Usually, deathcore drummers will use more blast beats and straight-up bass patterns than metalcore drummers, who prefer to follow the chugging riff of the guitarist. Deathcore lyrical themes tend to be darker, and less often are there clean vocals. Like metalcore, many bands used dropped guitar tunings, or they tune to a lower standard tuning (Black Dahlia Murder plays in D Standard, for example.) Examples of deathcore bands are as follows:

Job For A Cowboy - Entombment of a Machine
As Blood Runs Black - My Fears Have Become Phobias
The Black Dahlia Murder - Moonlight Equilibrium

Also see:
Whitechapel
As I Lay Dying
After the Burial
Born of Osiris

Progressive Metal:
Progressive metal is, in a nutshell, progressive rock, but heavier. Progressive metal bands have philosophical, well-thought out lyrical themes. They often use complex song structures and odd time signatures. Bands like Dream Theater have been known to include parts of their other songs in their music, such as Octavarium using the melody from The Answer Lies Within. Progressive metal bands often consist of a keyboardist, alongside a guitarist, bassist, and a drummer with an unnecessarily large drum set. They're usually extremely experienced at their instruments and are able to write complex parts and rhythms. Examples of Progressive Metal bands are:
Between the Buried and Me - Ants of the Sky
Mastodon - Crystal Skull
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain

Also see:
Dream Theater
Opeth
Symphony X

This is all I'll be writing for now. Again, feel free to add to my descriptions and write your own.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

Last edited by RustyWaffle on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinion's an opinion. Personally I like Progressive Metal more than anything else. I don't like metalcore that much and only a couple deathcore bands appeal to me. Mathcore has always appealed to me though.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamo is distinct from metalcore. Sounds more like this. Don't add that to your list though, because it's emo/punk, not metal.
EmoArbiter  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Asking Alexandria is more Post-Hardcore then Metalcore, but that might just be me. Imo Metalcore doesn't have many breakdowns and has more clean singing then screaming. Bands like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, old A7X are what I consider Metalcore. Post-Hardcore has a lot more unclean vocals, breakdowns, and generally the clean singing is very high-pitched. Post-Hardcore is also faster than Metalcore. Bands like A Day To Remember, Asking Alexandria, Enter Shikari, Chiodos, etc. are Post-Hardcore

also inb4slipknot

My accomplishments|Season 11 GHM Division 2 Winner
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Emo Arbiter Wii Friend Code: 2162307103708276
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread will be very helpful, thank you, as it all ready is :p

can anyone define what genre(s) Mastodon and Tool are? ive never listened to Tool, but everyone compares their drummer to Brann Dailor, so i might give them a listen and it would be beneficial for future reference what to classify them as [correctly]
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeXBird wrote:
this thread will be very helpful, thank you, as it all ready is :p

can anyone define what genre(s) Mastodon and Tool are? ive never listened to Tool, but everyone compares their drummer to Brann Dailor, so i might give them a listen and it would be beneficial for future reference what to classify them as [correctly]

It's really hard to classify Mastodon and Tool into just one genre. Mastodon, for example, uses Progressive Metal, Sludge and a bit of some other genres like groove metal.

There are a lot of bands that define their own genre like this. Macabre is one of those bands as well. They use a lot of thrash metal, death metal and grindcore in their music but it's hard to tell which one sticks out the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHYhG805eKA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmoArbiter wrote:
I think Asking Alexandria is more Post-Hardcore then Metalcore, but that might just be me. Imo Metalcore doesn't have many breakdowns and has more clean singing then screaming. Bands like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, old A7X are what I consider Metalcore. Post-Hardcore has a lot more unclean vocals, breakdowns, and generally the clean singing is very high-pitched. Post-Hardcore is also faster than Metalcore. Bands like A Day To Remember, Asking Alexandria, Enter Shikari, Chiodos, etc. are Post-Hardcore

I believe the objective stand-point would disagree with you. Asking Alexandria is definitely metalcore, and the OP's description of the current metalcore scene would be practically spot on. Modern metalcore is definitely characterized by an over-abundance of breakdowns. Also, A Day to Remember is anything but post-hardcore, as they belong to the silly pop-punk mosh(metal)core scene.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waffle - great idea!

My only worries are going to be:

* The "definition" of each type of genre and subgenre
* Bands that evolve or have a lot of songs with different styles (ie A7X)

It's pretty easy to classify something once you have solid definitions. Either the band/song fits that definition or it doesn't... the problem is going to be having the definitions crystal clear. A lot of these subgenres are so similar that only minor differences separate them and thus one person might say band A is subgenre A but another says they fit more closely to subgenre B...

The other thing is for bands that don't put out the same type of music on every cd. You have some that vary their styles up a little bit, but overall have the same "motif" each time, while others have drastic differences (see a7x unholy confessions, beast and the harlot, sidewinder, a little piece of heaven, dear god, fiction, and save me). How do you classify a group like that? Do you take the whatever category the majority of their songs fits into? Do you go cd by cd? song by song? Or do you just say they are mostly subgenre A with some songs in subgenres B, D, & F?

Sorry to question so much - just curious.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bands that encompass a variety of genres throughout their carrier should have those genres tagged to them with respect to chronological order. But if your referring to a band in its current state, make it easier on yourself and just say their current genre.

And A7X is Alternative Metal. Imho, their stylistic changes aren't large enough to constitute a genre change
toddles822  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudFuel wrote:
Waffle - great idea!

My only worries are going to be:

* The "definition" of each type of genre and subgenre
* Bands that evolve or have a lot of songs with different styles (ie A7X)

It's pretty easy to classify something once you have solid definitions. Either the band/song fits that definition or it doesn't... the problem is going to be having the definitions crystal clear. A lot of these subgenres are so similar that only minor differences separate them and thus one person might say band A is subgenre A but another says they fit more closely to subgenre B...

The other thing is for bands that don't put out the same type of music on every cd. You have some that vary their styles up a little bit, but overall have the same "motif" each time, while others have drastic differences (see a7x unholy confessions, beast and the harlot, sidewinder, a little piece of heaven, dear god, fiction, and save me). How do you classify a group like that? Do you take the whatever category the majority of their songs fits into? Do you go cd by cd? song by song? Or do you just say they are mostly subgenre A with some songs in subgenres B, D, & F?

Sorry to question so much - just curious.

This is just a personal preference, but I have always tried my best to stay away from classifying a band as more than one or two genres. I feel that if I classify a band like Mastodon as "progressive metal", and I tell someone that, they might conjure an image of Dream Theater or Pain of Salvation as to what Mastodon sounds like, which do not sound like Mastodon. I've never really told anyone something like "Well, Mastodon is progressive-sludge-stoner-whatever-metal", or really talked about the different styles that they employ because I have this nagging feeling that this would lead to confusion. This is basically why I've always hated categorizing a band such as A7X, their later music is in my iTunes as heavy metal.

To answer your question, for example if I were talking about Between the Buried and Me, I tend to say that they are progressive metal, with influences in death metal, metalcore, thrash metal, progressive rock, alternative rock, and some other genres, and some songs such as "Desert of Song" are pure alternative/progressive rock. It's still uncomfortable for me to describe almost any band as just one genre, even though that's usually the answer that everyone wants if they ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddles822 wrote:

To answer your question, for example if I were talking about Between the Buried and Me, I tend to say that they are progressive metal, with influences in death metal, metalcore, thrash metal, progressive rock, alternative rock, and some other genres, and some songs such as "Desert of Song" are pure alternative/progressive rock. It's still uncomfortable for me to describe almost any band as just one genre, even though that's usually the answer that everyone wants if they ask.

Exactly, which gets especially complicated when talking about Prog, since Prog at it's core is described as fusing genres together (specifically jazz, folk or classical with *insert genre here*).

And it gets especially fun when people ask you what genre a specific song is. Since for example a song like Hessian Peel by Opeth has: Blues, Folk, 70's Prog Rock, Death Metal, (a teensy bit of) Ambient/psychedelic, and a few others.

In otherwords, it's generally just a good idea to give things umbrella genres that cover everything, like Prog Death in Opeth's case.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post Hardcore?? Okay

At The Drive In is a must. Also when I first came on here everyone was going bat shit crazy about The Fall of Troy. Never listened to them then. Boy was I missing out. Downloaded the self-titled album a while ago. So good. Inspired me to start playing harder shit on the guitar. Thomas Erak is amazing.

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: