ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Atari 2600 Berzerk World Record run - April 28th, 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Atari 2600 Berzerk World Record run - April 28th, 2012 Reply with quote

Title says it all.

Starts at 10AM on Saturday, April 28th.

http://www.twitch.tv/mightysquirrel

I'm hoping to play for 24 hours straight, but I'm looking at more like 16 hours, thanks to a glitch the game has. I can't stand still for 18 minutes, total.

I'll have a mic going, dual webcams, and a timer to show how long I have been playing.

The record is 811k, about 8 hours of play. The highest score to exist on the game is 1 million, about 10 hours. I'm looking to crush both records.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, this is another instance where I could guess who it was who made the thread before reading it XD.

Going to be rooting for you, Squirrel . Probably not going to watch the whole time, but I'll tune in when I can.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Davers  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tune in at some point I'm sure. This should be fun (and grueling, lol). Good luck!
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the support XD

And yeah, when you play specific games like this, its quite easy to tell who is making the thread around here ;)

I failed both attempts. First attempt was roughly 4 hours long, gained too many lives and the game glitched.

Second attempt lasted 7 hours and 10 min long. The game reset from an attract mode glitch. A programmer on AtariAge disassembled the game and described exactly when the check happens, its every 4 1/4 seconds that the game checks to see if you are moving or not. If you're not moving, it ticks a counter. If that counter gets to 255, the game resets into an attract mode. This was put in to save old CRT TV's from burn in.

They unfortunately never put in the code to reset the timer if you move again. So if this happens 255 times total in the game, it resets. Oh, and firing does not count for moving, being you stop to fire. So now that I know I can't fire at a robot every 4 seconds or so, I WILL get the record the next time around.

Here's a pic of a screenshot of the stream, right before the glitch. The record I was going after was 811,880. I was trying for a million. I was stopped short at 761,070.

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:

They unfortunately never put in the code to reset the timer if you move again.

But... that's so elementary and super easy to put in... why...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

They unfortunately never put in the code to reset the timer if you move again.

But... that's so elementary and super easy to put in... why...

The best part is that it takes 2 bytes, according to Nukey, they could have put it in without any issues of size.

No matter, this little glitch just stops from others for getting the record ;)
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you think you'll attempt it again? I'd hate to see you stop after getting so close =/
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradmasta wrote:
When do you think you'll attempt it again? I'd hate to see you stop after getting so close =/

It'll be soon. In 2 to 4 weeks. Depends how busy I am in 2 weeks, I'm getting my megaman tattoo redone on Friday, and depending how sore I am, depends if I attempt it again then or not.

It won't be at where I am living at, it'll be at the same spot. Too much traffic for me to be able to concentrate on the record, and this time I'm not having anyone over. I kinda wanna do it solo. The audio will be a lot better this time around too, so it'll be a better stream.

Thank you for the support
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: