ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Am I the only one who strums up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlottesophie  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Am I the only one who strums up? Reply with quote

I always try strumming down but I just can't. I watch everyone else do it, and it seems like I'm the only one who sub consciously strums up rather than down.
I can alternate strum alright, I recently just learnt how to play The Way It Ends consistently well. But when I strum up on just single notes? Nope. My hand just automatically starts strumming up again lol

Does anyone else strum up? Or is it just me?
iAMhorribl3  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't down strum single notes? You up strum them? I don't get it. Just force yourself to do it. You'll get used to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works and doesn't penalize you, keep doing it this way. Otherwise, just force yourself into learning how to downstrum.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
nunovanhalen023  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC wrote:
If it works and doesn't penalize you, keep doing it this way. Otherwise, just force yourself into learning how to downstrum.

It could limit you in some ways, actually. For example, if you wanna be able to single strum really quickly, you're gonna be more limited in speed if you upstrum with your finger. If you do it with proper wrist motion, however, you can do it just as quickly as most players can downstrum. So yeah, it is different that you do that, but not necessarily wrong.
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nunovanhalen023 wrote:
UndeadFil13QC wrote:

It could limit you in some ways, actually. For example, if you wanna be able to single strum really quickly, you're gonna be more limited in speed if you upstrum with your finger. If you do it with proper wrist motion, however, you can do it just as quickly as most players can downstrum. So yeah, it is different that you do that, but not necessarily wrong.

I thought of that when I posted this actually, but I didn't know if it was true. It could be possible to upstrum really fast with one finger...

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tipperqueen used to do that. she also wouldn't anchor notes for things like trills either. i think these factors, especially the latter, limited her potential.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
HeavyD293  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strum up; I always have! Even though on a real guitar you'd strum down when single strumming. It's easier to whammy while strumming up.

I use just my index finger to strum, both single and alt. I could strum faster by holding the bar with my thumb and index finger, and this in fact has enabled me to build a 4x/8x in the Knights of Cydonia tremolos... but I always drop multiplier switching between ways of strumming.
Pinksquid1337  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've always strummed up as well, can still strum down though but just not as good. I always thought it depended on if you was a lefty or not. lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: