ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Is the extended sustain glitch different on GH:M than it was on GH:WT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Is the extended sustain glitch different on GH:M than it was Reply with quote

I wasn't really active in the community when this glitch was being experimented with, so I am just going off what posts I could find on it, and what others have told me. I am currently going through GH:M squeezing songs, and I wanted to check to see if anyone knows if the glitch behaves differently in this game than it did in WT? I was playing Enter Sandman, and I forgot to glitch the sustain. I did another run where I gtliched it, and my score was 16 points lower. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe I just got unlucky with that run? Another thing is in Orion, I hit one more squeeze than Fug did in his video, but I was like 130 points below his score or so. I glitched the sustains, and he didn't.

tl;dr Does the glitch for extended sustains act differently in GH:M or other games than it does in WT? Also, does anyone have any general tips for doing them?

EDIT And what is up with the 4th activation in this path not being possible? It's a starpower phrase in 4/4 time with exactly eight beats of whammy, and there is no real place to drop ticks, yet it seems that no one is able to do it. I didn't hit it once. Whammy in these new games is kind of weird. I lilke GH3 or the early whammy style of GH2 better.
Graf  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't pay nearly enough attention to the topic when it was brought up during the release of these games, but I feel like I remember someone saying that the glitch was either harder to do, or fixed in later iterations of the game. Don't quote me on that, but maybe that explains your experiences in Guitar Hero: Metallica.

Either way, I am interested to hear what is said or brought up on the topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the relative difficulty of glitching M to WT. In Enter Sandman, the glitch isn't worth much though. Even if you did it perfectly, you might get something like +70. In practice I'd suspect you'd get around +40.

Probably best just to explain how tick glitching works. Take the Enter Sandman case. You drop blue before orange. Then you hit orange. Since you dropped blue before hand, the game thinks the sustain only gave you the points in the orange hold instead of for the whole extended sustain, so at the very end it will apply a small burst to correct this. So in this case you should get 24 extra points at the end of the orange.

In a similar extended hold with a larger gap between B and O, you could drop the B way in advance and still get the same tick burst at the end. See Smells Like Teen Spirit on GH5 for example.

This means that if you don't get the very end of the hold, then you're not going to get any substantial boost. This also means that dropping before intermediate holds in three note extended sustains is pointless. I mean things like Demons, Cult of Personality, and such. If it goes YBO, you should hit Y early, B whenever while holding Y, and then drop YB just before O. The exception is if some of them end halfway through, like in Graduate in GHWoR. Then you just have to experiment or calculate whatever is best.

It's worth noting that I've only tested this on GHSH, GH5, GHVH and GHWoR. No Excuses looks like a decent song to test this on though.

UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the extended sustain glitch different on GH:M than it Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
EDIT And what is up with the 4th activation in this path not being possible? It's a starpower phrase in 4/4 time with exactly eight beats of whammy, and there is no real place to drop ticks, yet it seems that no one is able to do it. I didn't hit it once. Whammy in these new games is kind of weird. I lilke GH3 or the early whammy style of GH2 better.

I had a theory a while ago stating that a little bit of every sustain isn't worth any whammy power, just like in GH3 but it would be a much smaller amount. I was guessing something around 0.05-0.08 which would make sense because you would lose up to 0.64 of a beat, while about 7.5 is needed for an activation according to observations. However in Lazy Eye there is a phrase from which you can barely get an activation (measure 119, but you don't even do that) which is worth 7.74 beats of whammy, and 7.58 according to my theory. That would make sense because you just barely get it, as I said.

This has to be examinated more thoroughly though.

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
newuser1234  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is the extended sustain glitch different on GH:M than it Reply with quote

UndeadFil13QC wrote:
THABEAST721 wrote:

I had a theory a while ago stating that a little bit of every sustain isn't worth any whammy power, just like in GH3 but it would be a much smaller amount. I was guessing something around 0.05-0.08 which would make sense because you would lose up to 0.64 of a beat, while about 7.5 is needed for an activation according to observations. However in Lazy Eye there is a phrase from which you can barely get an activation (measure 119, but you don't even do that) which is worth 7.74 beats of whammy, and 7.58 according to my theory. That would make sense because you just barely get it, as I said.

there were a few songs on hard for gh:metallica that both rubydanger and other people thought activations should be possible but they're not due to some mismatch in whammy amount

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graf wrote:
I didn't pay nearly enough attention to the topic when it was brought up during the release of these games, but I feel like I remember someone saying that the glitch was either harder to do, or fixed in later iterations of the game. Don't quote me on that, but maybe that explains your experiences in Guitar Hero: Metallica.

Either way, I am interested to hear what is said or brought up on the topic.

I have heard this too for the GH5 and GH:WOR engines. I have no experience with the glitch on those games yet, so I guess I will find out more about it later.

ThunderShade wrote:
I can't speak for the relative difficulty of glitching M to WT. In Enter Sandman, the glitch isn't worth much though. Even if you did it perfectly, you might get something like +70. In practice I'd suspect you'd get around +40.

Probably best just to explain how tick glitching works. Take the Enter Sandman case. You drop blue before orange. Then you hit orange. Since you dropped blue before hand, the game thinks the sustain only gave you the points in the orange hold instead of for the whole extended sustain, so at the very end it will apply a small burst to correct this. So in this case you should get 24 extra points at the end of the orange.

In a similar extended hold with a larger gap between B and O, you could drop the B way in advance and still get the same tick burst at the end. See Smells Like Teen Spirit on GH5 for example.

This means that if you don't get the very end of the hold, then you're not going to get any substantial boost. This also means that dropping before intermediate holds in three note extended sustains is pointless. I mean things like Demons, Cult of Personality, and such. If it goes YBO, you should hit Y early, B whenever while holding Y, and then drop YB just before O. The exception is if some of them end halfway through, like in Graduate in GHWoR. Then you just have to experiment or calculate whatever is best.

It's worth noting that I've only tested this on GHSH, GH5, GHVH and GHWoR. No Excuses looks like a decent song to test this on though.

Yeah thanks for the explanation. I guess I have the gist of it down; I just suck at it apparently lol. I've also heard the best way to get points is to hit the first note of it as early as possible, and the second note of it as late as possible, which is really annoying for my mind to try to make my hands do.

newuser1234 wrote:
UndeadFil13QC wrote:
THABEAST721 wrote:

there were a few songs on hard for gh:metallica that both rubydanger and other people thought activations should be possible but they're not due to some mismatch in whammy amount

Hmm that's interesting. There are activations in GH:WT that are in 4/4 time with exactly eight beats of whammy, and you can achieve an activation from them. See What I've Done and Overkill. I suck apparently though, and I couldn't get one from them lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: