ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hammer-On or Down Strumming Experts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daeyeth  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Hammer-On or Down Strumming Experts? Reply with quote

It's safe to say that most Guitar Gods use alternate strumming, or at least use alternate strumming for the harder passages. With that said, is there anyone in the Top 100 that does NOT use alternate strumming for the difficult, fast passages? Meaning, they'd have to be incredibly good at using HOs for the Expert solos, that or they're down strumming grandmasters. Is there anyone like that in the Top 100s?

Last edited by daeyeth on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MLafer  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I qualify since I do use alternate strumming for Breaking Wheel and for a few parts of BatM. But for everything else, downstrumming.

Dspoonrt and Tapion013 are ranked even higher than me and are downstrummers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious, do you down strum all the notes for songs like Frankenstein, Texas Flood, and Godzilla? Or is it like a combination of HOs and down strumming (with the strum being for insurance for missed HOs)?
MLafer  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daeyeth wrote:
I was curious, do you down strum all the notes for songs like Frankenstein, Texas Flood, and Godzilla? Or is it like a combination of HOs and down strumming (with the strum being for insurance for missed HOs)?

Frankenstein: I kind of do what you say for the fast single BYRG runs. I'll try to strum four times, but sometimes i will miss the 4th strum, hit the fret anyway and do a HO and get the part. I also use pull-offs on the part with all the BYRGs in a row, but I've only hit them once anyway. I alt-strum the super fast RYRY... and BYBY "trills". I alt-strum the super-fast chords at the very end. Everything else is downstrumming.
Texas Flood: All downstrumming except the orange string of death. Again probably some accidental hammer-ons in there.
Godzilla: All downstrumming.

If you want me to detail any other songs let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downstrum everything and don't use HO/PO, top 40 on Hard, will be top 100 on Expert when i submit all my latest scores.

Well..., slightly innacurate, i alternate the GGBGGGYGGGRGG (or something like that) part of BATM on Expert and Hard, and i use HO's for the GRYB scales inbetween the chords on Cowboys Expert, i believe that's about it, everything else is strummed.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daeyeth wrote:

Until I got to about 15th or so in expert, I was completely a downstrummer. I've been trying to learn to alt. strum, and it has been helping me a lot, but it's hard to break old habits. I've never really used HO/POs either. I was a strict downstrummer for everything and all parts. I can downstrum pretty darn quick, but with all that said, I would recommend going to alt. strumming. It has made solos a lot easier to get (as well as it being much much easier on the arm).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: