ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Some questions/issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakken  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Some questions/issues Reply with quote

So, I finally got Beatmania (yay!). I've never played Beatmania before, so I started on 5-key. I played for a good hour and a half or so and got up to the 6s. At first, I wasn't able to pass them, but after playing one in Practice mode and playing the other regularly a few times, I got them both.

Now, I have some issues.

Very often, I will play notes right on beat yet get Goods. Other times I'll play the pattern the same way I just played it and get Greats or Perfects. The grades I get when I feel like I'm playing everything right on beat are very erratic. I'm a drummer, and I know when I'm on beat. This is kind of annoying.

Sometimes when I Spin the Disc, it will count one spin as two. It's especially tough to stop that from happening when there are a lot of spins in close succession. What's the best way to spin it? I use my left hand on the left side of it and go back and forth. While I'm on the subject of optimal technique, what's the best way to go about hitting the keys? Right now I have one finger on each of the 5 buttons, though the middle finger on the middle white key is kind of awkward, so I'll move around a bit when able.

Matt, I checked out your site. I take it the 7 means 7 keys, but what's 14? And what are Hyper and Another?
10 million (currently 10.53 million!)

FC Epic

Cyberscore - Great high scores site for other games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions:

As for good when hitting right on beat: a lot of the 5 key songs aren't timed properly. This is one of the reasons I haven't put them on the site yet. So it's not you, its the game. 7 key is much better timed overall (save for e-motion hyper and another). Also, the timing in the game is amazingly tight (tighter then any rhythm game I have ever played before). Even the best players rarely beat a song without getting some goods (and ALWAYS get some greats on anything beyond the easiest of songs).

Double scratches: is your turntable really stiff? if it is, take the screws out of the back of the controller, remove the back, and loosen the screw in the center of the turntable. Wehn you have to spin multiple times in rapid succession, make sure you spin back and forth alternating.

As for finger placement: There are a lot of playstyles up there. There are people who can AAA everysong on BMUS with only one hand on the keys. However, it is far easier to use both hands on the keys, and "pinky scratch", which is where you turn the turn table with your pinky on the far right edge (you might need to use more if there is a lot of scratches at once). Other then that, finger placement that works best for you will be trial and error. Be prepared to have to change your playstyle in a few months to progress further (I'm already changing mine for the 3rd time).

Hyper, Another, and 14key: If you play Beatmania IIDX mode, all 7 keys are used. If you have 2 controllers, you can play double mode and use all 14 keys between the 2 controllers (and both turntables). 10key mode is available in Beatmania mode. As for hyper and another, in IIDX mode, you have multiple difficulty levels: Beginner, Normal, Hyper, and Another. Press the select button to change difficulty. Another difficulty must be unlocked by playing (but not neccesarily beating) every song in arcade mode on both Beatmania and Beatmania IIDX mode, so that every song in the game is available in free mode.

Hope that answers your questions, feel free to post any more you might have.
Drakken  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
To answer your questions:

As for good when hitting right on beat: a lot of the 5 key songs aren't timed properly. This is one of the reasons I haven't put them on the site yet. So it's not you, its the game. 7 key is much better timed overall (save for e-motion hyper and another). Also, the timing in the game is amazingly tight (tighter then any rhythm game I have ever played before). Even the best players rarely beat a song without getting some goods (and ALWAYS get some greats on anything beyond the easiest of songs).

Phew, that's good to know.

Matt wrote:
Double scratches: is your turntable really stiff? if it is, take the screws out of the back of the controller, remove the back, and loosen the screw in the center of the turntable. Wehn you have to spin multiple times in rapid succession, make sure you spin back and forth alternating.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Matt wrote:
Hyper, Another, and 14key: If you play Beatmania IIDX mode, all 7 keys are used. If you have 2 controllers, you can play double mode and use all 14 keys between the 2 controllers (and both turntables). 10key mode is available in Beatmania mode. As for hyper and another, in IIDX mode, you have multiple difficulty levels: Beginner, Normal, Hyper, and Another. Press the select button to change difficulty. Another difficulty must be unlocked by playing (but not neccesarily beating) every song in arcade mode on both Beatmania and Beatmania IIDX mode, so that every song in the game is available in free mode.

Wow, I can't imagine using 14 keys and 2 turntables. That must be insane on the highest difficulty. Are the "out of 10" meter difficulties different depending on which of those four difficulties you choose? Like DDR?

Matt wrote:
Hope that answers your questions, feel free to post any more you might have.

Yeah, thanks a lot, Matt. I appreciate it.

One more thing I forgot to mention - in Game mode, it's annoying only being able to choose from the 1-3s on the first stage and then up to the 5s on the second stage. Is there really no way to choose the harder songs until the 3rd stage? If so, that's really odd. Perhaps there's a reason for it, but it seems like a silly design decision to me.

Also, I looked through the Options menu and didn't see any way to increase the # of stages. It's nice being able to set it to 5 stages in DDR, so that you can play more songs before getting a "Game Over" and having to get back into the songlist. I take it there's no way to change this in BMUS?

FC Epic

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drakken wrote:
Are the "out of 10" meter difficulties different depending on which of those four difficulties you choose? Like DDR?

Yes, ratings are different in 14key then on 7key

Drakken wrote:
One more thing I forgot to mention - in Game mode, it's annoying only being able to choose from the 1-3s on the first stage and then up to the 5s on the second stage. Is there really no way to choose the harder songs until the 3rd stage? If so, that's really odd. Perhaps there's a reason for it, but it seems like a silly design decision to me.

Also, I looked through the Options menu and didn't see any way to increase the # of stages. It's nice being able to set it to 5 stages in DDR, so that you can play more songs before getting a "Game Over" and having to get back into the songlist. I take it there's no way to change this in BMUS?

This is because Game Mode is modeled after the arcade versions. Once you have played a song in game mode, you can access it in free mode. Once you have gained access to all the songs in free mode, there is no point in playing arcade mode anymore. Free mode is what you will ultimately be playing.
Drakken  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Drakken wrote:
Are the "out of 10" meter difficulties different depending on which of those four difficulties you choose? Like DDR?

Yes, ratings are different in 14key then on 7key

Drakken wrote:

This is because Game Mode is modeled after the arcade versions. Once you have played a song in game mode, you can access it in free mode. Once you have gained access to all the songs in free mode, there is no point in playing arcade mode anymore. Free mode is what you will ultimately be playing.

K. Just means that I'll only be adding one more song to Free mode every three songs I play in Game mode, which is kind of disappointing.

FC Epic

blah  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it works best if you know how that works from the start and can plan ahead for unlocking all songs in free mode. Also, why is there no speed unlock? Damn you, Konami.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the plus side, the game can be unlocked in about 2 hours if you know what you're doing and can get to the third stage consistently.
Drakken  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to pass Genom Screams and 321 Stars today. The end of that Ska song kills me though; I haven't been able to pass that.

I tried 3 songs on IIDX mode today. There seem to be a good amount of songs I recognize from DDR in there, which is nice. I passed Mobo*Moga (2) and The Cube (2), but failed Shining Polaris (3). It's definitely harder when you have to think about two hands as opposed to just one.

Right now, I'm using the thumb and pointer finger on my left hand for the first white and black keys, and my right hand for the other five keys. Does that sound like a good technique, or should I try something else?

FC Epic

Matt  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good starting point. Just dont be afraid of moving your hands, and try not to get into too much of a habit of designating 1 finger for 1 key, or vice versa.
blah  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That technique is, I think, the ideal way to start. Over time, you'll adapt to new positions as the need arises.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Drakken, now that you have had a chance to play Beatmania... do you recommend it for someone like me, whose first exposure to rhythm games was Guitar Hero? I've been eyeing Beatmania in the stores now that I have almost finished all the songs in Guitar Hero and I'm curious if it is something I will enjoy.

Goal: 5* Hard
FOP [X]
PP(LL) [X]
OFTR [X]
6 [3.6]
TH [4.0]
trofl  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question about technique. I just got the game two days ago, and one issue I'm finding is doing scales... hitting adjacent white-black-white-black keys going up or down. Any tips for this?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: wxtrofl
Matt  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What song are you having difficulties with scales with?
Scales take a while to get used to. Being 2 days in, I wouldn't expect you to be a master at scales. As for help, the way I do scales is:
Left hand- ring finger on 1st white, middle finger on left black, thumb on 2nd white.
Right hand- index finger on middle black, thumb on 3rd white, middle finger on right black, and ring finger on 4th white.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Popn'Music and Beatmania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: