ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
First impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
achat  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: First impressions Reply with quote

I know there were quite a few mixed feelings about the covered songs in GH1, but what does everyone think of the SOUND of the covers in GH2? I'm not talking about songs with added or skipped notes, I would simply like to know what everyone thinks of the quality of the voices, distortions, etc.

By the way, no extensive criticism of Killing in the Name, Heart-Shaped Box, or Sweet Child 'o Mine, please. It's extremely obvious that the vocals on those songs blow badly, so let's try to limit that.
PriestMLH  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh honestly I have no problem with any of the songs...and I thought Sweet Child O' Mine was pretty well done...

My only problems are the some of the songs themselves ;)...just ridiculous how some songs made the game...but that's another story.

I'd guess my biggest problem is Beast and the Harlot...I'm a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan...and the singer is a little whiny for the song...but it's hard to mimic M.Shadows voice..since he's had surgical deals with it...but meh...I stil love the song and I love playing it...

So thumbs up anyway

EDIT: Actually scratch that...Woman...not good. It's the same guy that did Killer Queen haha...anyway...he just doesn't fit the Wolfmother voice...except he kinda looks like a wolf?

Last edited by PriestMLH on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PriestREA
achat  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I forgot to throw my opinions in there. My bad. I actually think that the other 37 licensed tracks were done pretty well. I agree that the A7X vocals are a bit lacking, but I think that songs like Last Child and Message in a Bottle were covered damn well.
emptyset  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First impressions Reply with quote

achat wrote:
I know there were quite a few mixed feelings about the covered songs in GH1, but what does everyone think of the SOUND of the covers in GH2? I'm not talking about songs with added or skipped notes, I would simply like to know what everyone thinks of the quality of the voices, distortions, etc.

I think they sound really great. I think the FX on the solo in KITN is a bit bright, it was the only part of any song that seemed really piercingly loud or overdone when we played last night. Practically all of the covers are close-to-impeccably done. You can nitpick little things here and there when you're listening hard to the song when someone else is playing, but when I was playing, it sounded good enough for me (let alone a casual player).

The only specific song that comes to my mind is Message in a Bottle. It's spooky how close to Sting the vocalist sounds. Also sounds like it might be the same guy that does the Ozzy voices...anyone else notice that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PriestMLH wrote:

EDIT: Actually scratch that...Woman...not good. It's the same guy that did Killer Queen haha...anyway...he just doesn't fit the Wolfmother voice...except he kinda looks like a wolf?

Yeah I was thinkin the same thing when I watched the bonus video of him singing it.

achat wrote:
I guess I forgot to throw my opinions in there. My bad. I actually think that the other 37 licensed tracks were done pretty well. I agree that the A7X vocals are a bit lacking, but I think that songs like Last Child and Message in a Bottle were covered damn well.

I TOTALLY agree....these are the best two songs I've heard that I've played so far. Tone on the guitars is PERFECT for both, and vocals are really good too.

As far as the rest you have to expect some bad ones, the reasons some of these bands are famous is because they are unique. Extremely hard to match up vocals with some of the lead singers of these bands. I thought RO did a pretty freakin good job.

Last edited by Spoon333 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
LucidFaia  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy On You is definitely one of the best covers, if you ask me. I love that intro.
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they'd got the Dethlok guy to do vocals for "Laid to rest"

I'm not crazy about the vocals on "War Pigs" either - it sounds too much like a karoake singer trying to do Ozzy - still - on the whole I'm pretty happy with everything else...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Fireblade  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Message in a Bottle singer sounds right at all. Weird that several people put it at the top of the list.

The Crazy on You singer, though, sounds perfect. Maybe it's just what you're more familiar with.
kungfumidget  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, when I play I almost never notice the vocal tracks, I'm so wrapped up in the guitar parts. I still don't know any of the words to most of the songs in GH I. But I do notice KitN is very off - but partly because that's one of my favorite songs. Apart from that, they all sound at least acceptable to me.
SixStringSlut  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuLFe wrote:
I wish they'd got the Dethlok guy to do vocals for "Laid to rest"

Honestly. I've been listening to Lamb of God for... shit, nearly 5 years, but the guy who covered the vocals is just AWFUL. There's a fine line between good and bad Metal vocals and he isn't anywhere near it.

That needed to be an original, or an instrumental.
Metalmuppet  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, the game's called "Guitar Hero" not "Vocal Hero". If there was bad language in GHII, the game would be rated M.
Anthony  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drums aren't in the mix enough on a lot of the songs, can't even hear it on a few of them. The guitar sounds good on most of the songs but for some reason the tone just feels really wrong on Jessica.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the musicianship in all of the covers is excellent. Even the improv stuff (Like the guitar solo in "Woman" that doesn't normally exist) seem to fit right in with the song perfectly.

But, alas, most of the vocals stink.

They should hire me in at Harmonix, I can do a mean Axl Rose
DevilMayAsian  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Child's guitar tone was screaming Slash. It was pretty impressive to hear that they got that women tone down.

And I'll agree with almost everyone's opinion about Message in a Bottle. The vocals are crazy awesome.

I haven't spent much time with the game to really have a good grasp on the entire game, but so far, it's alright.

Proud I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Devil May Asian PSN Name: DevilMayAsian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: