ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
New guy with a couple questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustan  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: New guy with a couple questions Reply with quote

First off, hello. Found this site from google and it's amazing. You guys rock. just picked up gh3(ps3) for the wife and I for christmas. First time ever playing any music/rhythm type of game.

Even though I suck, and play on med/hard I really get a lot from this site. The note charts forums with some sp paths kick ass and really helped my scores.

Anyway enough running my mouth here are my questions.

Is it me or does the ps3 leaderboard online suck? Even with the limited filters it seems pretty useless. Is there something I'm missing?

Can I count my pro-battle scores on the wonderful score keeping system you guys have here or just use solo runs via quickplay?

Is anyone aware of a group of guys using this website who are at my skill level decent at med grinding through hard, that I could rock with and get better?

I've seen the topic a couple of times but I'll ask again in hopes of some fresh opinions, should I even bother with hard or just grind away at expert? It seems that I'm grinding anyway, so why not be working where the action is. To quote some cool guy from this site (forgot his name) or his friends name rather, fuck easy, fuck medium, fuck hard, expert is where its at. Words to live by?

Also if you see me online, come kick my ass ps3 ID: Demize

One last thing, why do I have 5 stars on almost every song on medium but cant 5* barracuda for the life of me, I'm better at it on hard than med!

Last edited by Dustan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Silly  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a couple questions Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.

1. Everything with PS3 and online in the same sentence is doomed to failure, the online system is awful. That said, online on all systems is sucking recently.

2. If you're certain that you would have passed it in career/quickplay, you can use pro-faceoff scores.

3. Have a look in Rivalries forum, post a new topic saying where you're at, ask similarly skilled players to compete with you.

4. I worked up through Medium to Hard, then moved on to Expert. Do it how you want.

5. Barracuda is a bitch.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Rosstopher  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a couple questions Reply with quote

Dustan wrote:
First off, hello. Found this site from google and it's amazing. You guys rock. just picked up gh3(ps3) for the wife and I for christmas. First time ever playing any music/rhythm type of game.

Even though I suck, and play on med/hard I really get a lot from this site. The note charts forums with some sp paths kick ass and really helped my scores.

1. Is it me or does the ps3 leaderboard online suck? Even with the limited filters it seems pretty useless. Is there something I'm missing?

2. Can I count my pro-battle scores on the wonderful score keeping system you guys have here or just use solo runs via quickplay?

3. Is anyone aware of a group of guys using this website who are at my skill level decent at med grinding through hard, that I could rock with and get better?

4. I've seen the topic a couple of times but I'll ask again in hopes of some fresh opinions, should I even bother with hard or just grind away at expert? It seems that I'm grinding anyway, so why not be working where the action is. To quote some cool guy from this site (forgot his name) or his friends name rather, fuck easy, fuck medium, fuck hard, expert is where its at. Words to live by?

5. One last thing, why do I have 5 stars on almost on medium but cant 5* barracuda for the life of me, I'm better at it on hard than med!

1. Most of the online leaderboards straight up suck anyway. They can be easily hacked, or simply not record your scores. PS3 is newer to this system, and is probably way more buggy than 360.

2. There is nothing in the rules saying you can't, although it is frowned upon considering you don't have to worry about failing in pro-face off. I actually might have this confused and you aren't aloud to do so. I'm not 100% sure. I'll let someone else clarify.

3. Check the rivalries forum. You will find people who play on lower skill levels and aren't just jerks who play on hard and medium because it's easy to them.

4. Basically, yes. I jumped straight from medium to expert when I first bought GH2 when it came out. It's tough at first, but it will help you get better much faster than hard will, in my opinion. 5-star the easier songs, then work your way up into the crazier songs.

5. I haven't seen it on medium, but I know that hard is basically the same chart aside from the solo. It's probably the gallop strum that gets you. Just keep working on the timing and eventually you'll figure it out. You can alt strum it (strumming both up and down) in a quick down-up-down motion, or down strum/up strum (depending on how you play) in a quick burst of down-down-down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That said, online on all systems is sucking recently.

Due to everyone getting 360's and PS3's for Christmas. Everyone is playing online or connected to XBL or PSN. Just give it time, the lag will die down, patches will be made and online gaming with improve.

Dustan  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm rushing because expert seems to be "where it's at". In the end, I still have fun playing the game. I'll check out the rivalry forum tonight and see if I can find come competition/motivation.
Geeoff  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: New guy with a couple questions Reply with quote

Rosstopher wrote:
Dustan wrote:

1. Is it me or does the ps3 leaderboard online suck? Even with the limited filters it seems pretty useless. Is there something I'm missing?

2. Can I count my pro-battle scores on the wonderful score keeping system you guys have here or just use solo runs via quickplay?

3. Is anyone aware of a group of guys using this website who are at my skill level decent at med grinding through hard, that I could rock with and get better?

4. I've seen the topic a couple of times but I'll ask again in hopes of some fresh opinions, should I even bother with hard or just grind away at expert? It seems that I'm grinding anyway, so why not be working where the action is. To quote some cool guy from this site (forgot his name) or his friends name rather, fuck easy, fuck medium, fuck hard, expert is where its at. Words to live by?

5. One last thing, why do I have 5 stars on almost on medium but cant 5* barracuda for the life of me, I'm better at it on hard than med!

1. Most of the online leaderboards straight up suck anyway. They can be easily hacked, or simply not record your scores. PS3 is newer to this system, and is probably way more buggy than 360.

2. There is nothing in the rules saying you can't, although it is frowned upon considering you don't have to worry about failing in pro-face off. I actually might have this confused and you aren't aloud to do so. I'm not 100% sure. I'll let someone else clarify.

3. Check the rivalries forum. You will find people who play on lower skill levels and aren't just jerks who play on hard and medium because it's easy to them.

4. Basically, yes. I jumped straight from medium to expert when I first bought GH2 when it came out. It's tough at first, but it will help you get better much faster than hard will, in my opinion. 5-star the easier songs, then work your way up into the crazier songs.

5. I haven't seen it on medium, but I know that hard is basically the same chart aside from the solo. It's probably the gallop strum that gets you. Just keep working on the timing and eventually you'll figure it out. You can alt strum it (strumming both up and down) in a quick down-up-down motion, or down strum/up strum (depending on how you play) in a quick burst of down-down-down.

On medium the green strum isn't a gallop. Maybe that's your problem. Just try play at a steady rate on beat with the song.
Dustan  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeoff, you nailed it! funny thing is, when I started this game i was an alt strummer, it just felt natural, then I got stuck on RB easy and my wife was like why not down strum stat section (as it was kicking my ass badly) and I did and it worked, so I abandoned the alt strum all together. Bad idea I guess, I think If I spend a day or two getting the hang of it again I could do it.

That and I read that on expert some songs have sections that almost require alt strumming.

off to practice.

Oh, and one more question, I know most on this site play expert but in general, what percentage of people would you say ever beat the game on expert, and of those how many go on to 5 star expert (el jeffe i think)?

realistically (not in the score hero world) how much of an accomplishment is this?
Silly  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustan wrote:

Oh, and one more question, I know most on this site play expert but in general, what percentage of people would you say ever beat the game on expert, and of those how many go on to 5 star expert (el jeffe i think)?

realistically (not in the score hero world) how much of an accomplishment is this?

average player plays medium and can't beat hard. i'd say less than 2% of people who play can beat expert (even less for GH3, judging by how many people complain about Raining Blood and Lou), and even less get El Jefe.

this is coming from a mediocre expert player so don't take it too much to heart.

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
Tanked  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas, and already doing well on hard. Is nice! Quick improvement, dude. You'll be rockin' expert in no time.

Welcome to Scorehero.

Everything I post is extremely serious.
Also, cocks.
oorza  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm jealous of you. I first got GHII last January and have played it religiously ever since and I'm just now being able to 5 star expert songs, and not all of them either, after a year of playing at least 20 hours a week (yes, I'm a loser). The first night I had it it took me hours, literally hours, to be able to pass the third tier of GHII on EASY. I have no natural sense of rhythm at all, so that sucks for me, but you've had it for less than a month and are rockin' out to hard? Man, you'll be great in no time.

Personally, I went medium -> hard through three or four tiers until I figured out the fingerings for five notes -> expert, but it's up to you. The biggest advantage to playing through hard (or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it) is hearing the songs that many more times, and you have a greater sense of the timing of the song and the beat and all that jazz. Speaking of jazz, there needs to be some John McLaughlin in GHIV, that guy's nuts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0G8wv1lAQ&feature=related for proof.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so hang in there. I wish I had discovered SH before I tried expert, good luck and all that happy crappy
Dustan  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't owe my limited success on hard to being good, I'm fucking addicted! Ive done an 18 hour session! (I'm the loser) My fret knuckles feel like I pummeled the shit out of someone when I'm at work during the day. My sleep schedule is totally messed up, look, its 5:50 am central and I work at noon.

I'll have to slow down when school starts again 2 1/2 weeks!

Kick ass game and fucking awesome community.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'm feeling good today, hard is introducing 3 note cords, so I feel like I'm learning and getting better. I'm also down to 3 normal career songs on med left to 5* then I can concentrate on hard a little more.

now its time to sleep.
Boomsars  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so concerned with getting to Expert as quickly as possible. It's not necessary to enjoy the game, nor to be respected around this community. That said, a majority of the players around here do play on expert, simply because they have played the game so often. Advance through the difficulties as quickly as you like. A good example is the user Final Aeon (not meaning to call anyone out). He posted on this page and you can see his stats in his daily updating images. He's not spectacular player considering he does not have the log on any games, yet he is in a top 10 place in Easy and Medium on multiple games. This community is not just about expert. That's why there are SP Path forums for Easy, Medium, and Hard as well.

Also about the "Fuck easy, fuck medium etc.," guy, if you would have noticed, he's a doucebag in almost post he makes. But I'll stop before I get myself in trouble.
toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raining Blood is a brick wall
Cliff  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the "are pro face-off scores submittable?" question:

In all previous discussions that I've seen, the answer is always "yes, but it's frowned upon." It's unacceptable to submit PFO scores if you would have failed the run (most notable songs are One, TtFatF, and Jordan). And, since the only condition of submitting a PFO score is essentially that you could replicate it in single-player mode, then you might as well do that anyway.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy with a couple questions Reply with quote

Dustan wrote:
I've seen the topic a couple of times but I'll ask again in hopes of some fresh opinions, should I even bother with hard or just grind away at expert? It seems that I'm grinding anyway, so why not be working where the action is. To quote some cool guy from this site (forgot his name) or his friends name rather, fuck easy, fuck medium, fuck hard, expert is where its at. Words to live by?

Just one thing I want to address... and not specifically to/regarding you, just a general rant:

Quote:
fuck easy, fuck medium, fuck hard, expert is where its at

Words to live by? Yes, for an elitist prick, of which there are far too many around here... which is laughable really because most of them (i.e. those who are not HellAshes/Lo7/Priest/k3v/etc, all of whom conduct themselves with modesty despite their insane achievements) don't really have the right. You'll notice the elitist morons are mostly 100-1000 in the expert rankings with delusions of grandeur. Of course that's not to say everyone's like that, just a vocal minority of fucktards that ruin it for all of those who are gracious.

Seriously people, play whatever difficulty level you damn well like and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you can't do expert very well and don't find it fun, play hard. If that's too much, medium is your friend. If medium isn't your bag, well, we all had to start somewhere, back to easy you go. There's no shame in playing whatever difficulty you want for fun - and yes, there's the point, FUN. It's a game, not a career or a way of life (lolsarcastic "but it is!" responses not required, thanks).

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: