Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Teenage music tastes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can proudly say that I stopped listening to the radio for music in the early 90's, back when "What is Love?" was in the top 100.
Only time I listen to the radio now is 11 AM on Saturdays, when I listen to NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me".
Mark 8:36
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
I can proudly say that I stopped listening to the radio for music in the early 90's, back when "What is Love?" was in the top 100.
Only time I listen to the radio now is 11 AM on Saturdays, when I listen to NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me".

But then you totally tuned in for some of that Pearl Jam play, right?
EpicPhail  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern music isn't always bad. In my opinion, "mainstream" is the word that should replace "modern". I can't even turn on the damn radio anymore without hearing Soulja Boy on the local pop station or Panic at the Disco on the rock station (which USED to play Megadeth). And even then, I know people who listen to this stuff and are pretty awesome people. Taste in music is totally subjective to whoever is listening to it.

One thing I have noticed lately, however, is the bullshitted "listen to this to be popular mkay?" problem. Usually these are people who listen to one genre, and usually whatever's popular at the time. Here's a list of bands I listen to almost daily on my iPod...

Arch Enemy
Boston
The Grateful Dead
Deicide (Legion, Deicide, and Redemption only. Their other stuff sucks)
Metallica
Queen
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Symphony X
Judas Priest
Foo Fighters
30 Seconds to Mars
Evile
The Clash
John Coltrane
Mozart

I listen to these bands because I enjoy listening to them (not to mention the looks I get when I mention my favorite song is a tribute to Satan). Modern music is pretty good, but you have to sift through the popular shit to find it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally can't stand ANYTHING on the radio. I hate 99% of rap, while there are some good, older songs, I'm having trouble finding almost ANYTHING worthwhile to listen to. I hate the rap on the radio, that mainstream shit which is nothing more than promoting violence and sex to the kids that listen to that stuff to be "cool". I'm 16 and really don't care what people think about my music. I even had a kid come up to me (wasn't sure if the term was appropriate so I'll leave it out and just describe him) So it's 80 degrees outside, he's wearing shorts that are 12 sizes too big and go to his ankles, a shirt that is 14 sizes too big and goes to his knees, a wifebeater under it, and a huge, 12 sizes too big, hoodie. So he's off, being about 5 foot tall or so, rapping the "songs" off the radio like a damn moron and I ask, "Dude, what the hell is that?" "YO MAN IT'S WAY BETTER THAN THAT SHIT YOU LISTEN TO ALL THAT SCREAMIN' IT TAKES NO TALENT MAN AND THOSE FAGASS TIGHT JEANS YOU WEAR MAN IT'S JUST GAY" At least, after heavy deciphering, I believe that is what he said. And I'm like, "What the hell, kid? I"m 10 times your size and you're gonna say shit like that to me when I didn't say anything at all offensive?"

But yeah.. other than the mainstream rap.. I can't stand the emo-ass bands like MCR and other bands like that that become way mainstream and just.. ugh, got terrible. Not saying there's no good bands from that genre either, there's always at least one or two good bands from each genre of music.
Music is like candy, you throw out the (w)rappers.
People who rap aren't rappers, they're rap-ists, y'know, like art-ists. Which looks suspiciously like the word "rapist".
Vertiggo  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teenage tastes are abysmal.. but honestly, that's due to what companies are marketing to the public. Personally, my favorite music to listen to on my own is prog or metal, which is hardly the most popular music nowadays. Darn shame too, since some prog artists have such amazing talents.

However,

directshot999 wrote:
I've been Rap free now for about 3 years, and I hopefully plan to keep it that way.

There are too many people who think like this now. I think something like this is silly. (This is not an attack on directshot999, I'm just using this quote as an example). There will always be songs in any genre that deserved to be recognized as amazing. Never let someone tell you that an entire genre is bad. Try not to refuse to listen to something because of the genre it is categorized under. Amazing music will always be amazing, there should be no boundaries. Do not be afraid to try new things!

There is such a thing as emotion filled hip hop out there and it can be really darn good and full of substance. To find it though, you have to search a little harder. For example...

You Never Know: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tTxTs9-6g0Y
Dance With The Devil: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo

Warning: Even though both of these songs above are extremely explicit at times, especially the second of the two, there is a REASON for it. There is a moral behind each song.... and both of them are absolutely chilling. Take a listen to both with an open mind.

If you want to follow along with lyrics-

You Never Know: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858517198
Dance With the Devil: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858517191
gallery_5702_642_2556.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vVv Paradise
zYgote  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:

Well to be fair, when grunge/alternative dropped, radio became AMAZING in the 90s. Grew up on that shit.

The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
UltraMegaOK1988  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Teenage music tastes. Reply with quote

TheBlackFlame wrote:
I personally find them abysmal. See, I don't understand how anybody could like modern "radio" rap. It's the same conceited bullshit said over and over again to a poorly rehashed backbeat for most of the songs, and the message portrayed is terrible.

Another thing I am so tired of is people thinking that rap takes more talent than good rock music. I acknowledge the fact that good rap involves thoughtful poetry, but instruments take a lot more musical talent than talking into a mic. I'm just so tired of hearing rock and metal classified as "banging on pots and pans".

Your thoughts?

One's generation will never get the musical tastes of past and future generations. I agree with you that most rap is terrible to listen to and patronizing, but there are just as many "rock" bands that I feel the same way about. Personally, I think that music is finite creatively and we're probably getting close to hitting a wall somewhere, which is why so much music is awful.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertiggo wrote:
Teenage tastes are abysmal.. but honestly, that's due to what companies are marketing to the public. Personally, my favorite music to listen to on my own is prog or metal, which is hardly the most popular music nowadays. Darn shame too, since some prog artists have such amazing talents.

However,

directshot999 wrote:
I've been Rap free now for about 3 years, and I hopefully plan to keep it that way.

There are too many people who think like this now. I think something like this is silly. (This is not an attack on directshot999, I'm just using this quote as an example). There will always be songs in any genre that deserved to be recognized as amazing. Never let someone tell you that an entire genre is bad. Try not to refuse to listen to something because of the genre it is categorized under. Amazing music will always be amazing, there should be no boundaries. Do not be afraid to try new things!

There is such a thing as emotion filled hip hop out there and it can be really darn good and full of substance. To find it though, you have to search a little harder. For example...

You Never Know: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tTxTs9-6g0Y
Dance With The Devil: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo

Warning: Even though both of these songs above are extremely explicit at times, especially the second of the two, there is a REASON for it. There is a moral behind each song.... and both of them are absolutely chilling. Take a listen to both with an open mind.

If you want to follow along with lyrics-

You Never Know: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858517198
Dance With the Devil: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858517191

Holy hell.. I hate rap and I hated how that song sounded but I listened to it and read the lyrics. That's messed up and it's deep as hell. I respect these guys for the message they promote and how much work they put into their lyrics. He just recited off a whole damn book.. I could never do that. Unfortunately, I can't stand their genre and I just hope their message gets to a lot of people. Both of those songs were extremely touching and deep.. wow..
Music is like candy, you throw out the (w)rappers.
People who rap aren't rappers, they're rap-ists, y'know, like art-ists. Which looks suspiciously like the word "rapist".
Maozilla  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is in the eye of the beholder. Whether you enjoy rap or hate it, it should only matter to you. Sure, not all artists put the same amount of effort into their music and people dislike them for that, but you should not take away from somebody else's experience. Being anti-mainstream is just like being stuck up. I'm sure there's mainstream music that any of you will enjoy, you just refuse to listen to it. It's just like your friends who refuse to listen to bands that you enjoy. I remember a while ago a thread about how this guy's friend wouldn't even try Avenged Sevenfold. Heck, TRY the music if it's within genres you can stand. Don't let your pride hold you back. And please, teenager? I know plenty of adults who listen to rap and other mainstream artists. My parents listen to the radio all the time and all they listen to is mainstream stuff that I dislike. I listen to progressive and metal. They like the tunes they listen to, I like the tunes I listen to. They don't bother me about music and I don't bother them about music. Quit forcing ideas onto others.
gionta1222  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 16 and I mostly listen to metal, hard rock. A lot of 80's stuff because my parents are both metal heads. But I also hate some of the music out these days, but some of it is also great. Some of my favorite bands are from this era and there is some really great music still being made these days. Some of my favorite bands from now are Sum 41, All That Remains, and Paramore. It just depends on the person and what they like.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[insert "one man's trash is another man's treasure"-type response here]

...but seriously. I can't believe how narrow-minded this shit comes across. Actually, no, wait, I can totally believe it. Is it really so hard for people to accept that other people can and will like different things? And really, why is it so hard to just disregard the stuff you don't like? I manage it quite successfully.

I really need to stop clicking on any Scorehero forums topic that looks like music discussion, 'cos they're guaranteed to annoy me every single time.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
NineInchNails  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:

...but seriously. I can't believe how narrow-minded this shit comes across. Actually, no, wait, I can totally believe it. Is it really so hard for people to accept that other people can and will like different things? And really, why is it so hard to just disregard the stuff you don't like? I manage it quite successfully.

I really need to stop clicking on any Scorehero forums topic that looks like music discussion, 'cos they're guaranteed to annoy me every single time.

Gawd John, your opinon is "wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong! you're wrong! you're wrong! etc." I like to think of myself as some kind of person who knows better than everyone else, and is always right. And in this case of course, i'm right.

Peoples tastes are an illusion. There is good music, and bad music. There is no grey area.
Some people listen to some good music and a lot of bad music. Some people are the other way around. I however, listen to all good music, AND i'm a teenager (granted, not for very much longer, I turn 17 soon!).

On a serious note, now my sarcasm tank is empty: "teenage taste" is like saying... all the fucking music in the world, because all fucking teenagers have different tastes, but of course, you're stereotyping that all teenagers like rap, and that all rap is crap (lolol). But yes, Teenage music taste can't be good or bad, because there is no way of definitively calling Band A good and band B shite.
Also, if someone listens to rap because they want to be cool, and not because they like the music, that is NOT their musical taste. Their musical taste is obviously different to that, but they're too silly to not care what other people think of them.
Final question, how many people in this thread have said that teenage music taste is crap, acting like they're not a teenager, when in fact they're 17-19 or so, and are generalising the age group of 13-16 as teenage?

Also, I love you John boy <3
D0m0omod  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:

The hard part isn't accepting what others like it's the keeping it to themselves part. For a few years now this altered hip-hop mentality has been jammed down my throat and out my ass. Television, movies, and radio have been plagued by this constantly growing trend that has strayed so far from it's source it's embarassing.

This is a laughable style that is snowballing into the next decade. As much as I hated the first one we'll need another Grunge movement to kill this thing now.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
zYgote  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NineInchNails wrote:
On a serious note, now my sarcasm tank is empty: "teenage taste" is like saying... all the fucking music in the world, because all fucking teenagers have different tastes, but of course, you're stereotyping that all teenagers like rap, and that all rap is crap (lolol). But yes, Teenage music taste can't be good or bad, because there is no way of definitively calling Band A good and band B shite.
Also, if someone listens to rap because they want to be cool, and not because they like the music, that is NOT their musical taste. Their musical taste is obviously different to that, but they're too silly to not care what other people think of them.
Final question, how many people in this thread have said that teenage music taste is crap, acting like they're not a teenager, when in fact they're 17-19 or so, and are generalising the age group of 13-16 as teenage?

Also, I love you John boy <3

LOL SMALL TEXT IS SOOOOO HILARIOUS!!11

There I flexed my sarcasm muscle too. Anyways, when I personally said abysmal, I meant it in the sense that 13-16(yes, generalizing please don't take offense) year old's music tastes normally aren't very refined and they're just starting to branch out and listen to other types of music. So basically, they don't have a clue at what all is out there.

Also I don't fit your stereotype(lolucwutididther?) either as I haven't been 17-19 for a long time.

The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NineInchNails wrote:
Gawd John, your opinon is "wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong! you're wrong! you're wrong! etc." I like to think of myself as some kind of person who knows better than everyone else, and is always right. And in this case of course, i'm right.

Peoples tastes are an illusion. There is good music, and bad music. There is no grey area.
Some people listen to some good music and a lot of bad music. Some people are the other way around. I however, listen to all good music, AND i'm a teenager (granted, not for very much longer, I turn 17 soon!).

At least I'm not emo.

...oh wait.

<3

To be fair though, I don't count as a teenager any more, what with my being nearly 25, but... eh, actually I can't be bothered - my point can pretty well be summed up by "what NIN said". Bloke knows what he's talking about, innit.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: