SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
the sparkly paint...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohhwataloser  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsjadomaggot616 wrote:
first of all its called metal flake, and second you cant do real flake like that unless you have a real paint gun all the supplies and the money to buy all the paint, no to even mention the experience of being a painter. the only thing close to that with spray paint is a metallic paints so the answer is no.

its not called metal flake is called "Pearl"

spray paints call it metal flake

and spray paint works just fine

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40776&highlight=

but to answer your question, "real" paint or spray paint, its mixed with the paint. tho dupicolor did come out with a spray paint thats a clear coat that gives a rainbow effect, but like all of their clear coats they fade too fast so i wouldn't recomend it.

Last edited by ohhwataloser on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohhwataloser  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsjadomaggot616 wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:
It can be done easily with paint... someone did a superb job right here: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16037
thats not even close, thats metallic spray paint, whats on the guita is metal flake, completly diffirent

tell me whats difference?
wumpus  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"real" metal flake particles are much too big to fit through a tiny spray nozzle.. the size of the flake has a big effect on the final finish! You can see that in my pics.
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wumpus, those face plates look incredible. I just added a link to this thread in the GT Jems painting guide thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wumpus wrote:
"real" metal flake particles are much too big to fit through a tiny spray nozzle.. the size of the flake has a big effect on the final finish! You can see that in my pics.

metal flakes stopped being used in like the 1960's or something, because they invented pearls, if you wanna call your glitter metal flakes, i guess go ahead. but people use pearls now a days.

larger particals may be too big for a spray can, that i can agree with, but the red guitar he posted doesn't have big flakes.
wumpus  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
metal flakes stopped being used in like the 1960's or something

Well, right, the flakes are not actually metal any more, they're usually some kind of sparkly reflective plastic.

The term "metal flake" just means "large flake", really. And the larger the flake, the more dramatic the look. Spray metallics don't do it for me, the flakes that can fit through a spray can nozzle just can't pick up the light the way the large flakes can. I mean, just freakin' LOOK at this:

I've learned a TON since I started painting these 10 faceplates. Two addendums.

1) The final sanding stage is crucial to getting a totally kick ass super-smooth finish! Some of the faceplates are coming out just incredible, totally professional looking. That's assuming you laid down enough clear to solidly cover the glitter.. at least 4 coats, maybe more. Sand at the end, mostly, you might want to do some small spot sanding between coats (be careful, go slow, and keep an eye on it!) but the real "wow" shiny result comes from the FINAL sanding.

2) It is critical to shake the heck out of the faceplate, tapping the back of it quite firmly, to get ALL the excess glitter you can off! Unfortunately, a few of my faceplates have too much glitter piled up in some areas which means they can't be sanded down without shearing away the glitter and exposing the internal glitter "color" (silver for light, black for dark). Too much bunched up glitter kills you.. means you have to live with a rough finish, because it can't really be sanded without ruining it.
ohhwataloser  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

their not plastic their a powder additives....

if you want large flakes use the pearls labled "corse"

and you don't need larger flakes to capture the light like that, you can just add more of the smaller stuff. most people find it a little excessive tho, that why you don't see it alot. i mean your guitars you can't even tell what the base coat color was. defently unique tho.

metal flakes doesn't mean large flake, its most often used to decribed a metallic paint, but thats even improper cuz most paint jobs now a days arn't true metal flake, its pearls.

glad your glitter came out good, but his guitar is far form the glitter look. stick with the fine pearls, or if you go the easy route, metallic spray paint will mimic that guitar alot better than glitter.
wumpus  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhwataloser I am not sure you know what you are talking about. There are indeed "pearls" and "candy" paints, but we are talking about metal flake. Here's an article on how to spray metal flake.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/135_0308_flake/index.html

I hope that helps you understand what I'm talking about.
wumpus  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still think metallic spray paint is the same as real metal flake? Compare for yourself. On the bottom is Rustoleum Gold metallic paint; on the top is my metal flake technique.

Closeup of finishes. The spray can just can't spray particles large enough to reflect well; its nozzle is too small. The spray can metallic is sparkly (silver does best), but only under VERY bright, direct light.. whereas the true metal flake is sparkly in anything but a pitch black room!

ohhwataloser  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny how you think glitter is the same thing as metal flake.
i never said spray paint was the same thing, i said it was closer to the guitar he posted on the very first post on this thread.

Pearls replaced metal flakes in the 1960's like i said a before its a outdated technique, wow someone recreate a 1960's paint job, which could of easily been done with a corse silver pearl.

wish i still worked at the bodyshop and could mix up a small batch of paint to show you pearls can look exactly the same, just it rare to see corse pearls because people generally like color shifting you get out of finer pearls other than the "metal flake" effect. people also usually refer to it as looking too "pimpish" because of all the pimp cars on TV and in movies with the metal flake paint jobs.

im done arguing. keep calling your glitter metal flake, but even in the artical you posted, it says metal flakes reflect off the base coat, use a lighter color blah blah blah.... do your guitars even have a base coat?

but spray paint will still match his guitar better, and if you want to see spray paint shine here you go... http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40776

even at the time of this post photobucket isn't showing the pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: