SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Baseball: Guys it's football season who cares about baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 73, 74, 75  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
christiano27  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaffleCake wrote:
Hmmm.....makes sense. About steroids, I'm actually a cycling fan and as you all probably know, about 50% of the top riders have in the last 2 years all been banned for substance abuse. It's pretty much destroying the integrity of the sport and it's completely unfair to many of the riders who are legit. Not only because it makes them look suspicious of cheating but it also has more direct consequences. Say, if you are in the Tour de France and one guy on your team (they have teams if you didn't know) decides to be a retard and haxorrs teh body with teh steroids, everyone on that team gets disqualified. Imagine that happening after riding for 2 weeks through mountains. I find it so strange though, that the year after that Lance Armstong quit, instead of all the main competitors deciding they finally had a chance and going for the win, they all said "lehtz doo teh roidz" and they all got disqualified, leaving a bunch of nobodies like Floyd Landis(who it turns out fell into the previous group anyways) to win. They seriously need to fix this in all sports.
/rant

edit: I think this post should have it's own thread, to spark mucho rantage and controversial discussion and keep this thread on topic. Whaddayaaa think?

I concur, I have become a cycling fan in recent years start up a thread and i'll see you there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christiano27 wrote:
I concur, I have become a cycling fan in recent years start up a thread and i'll see you there!
Just waiting for confirmation from Alakaiser, he might not approve.
Alakaiser  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, if you want to make a steroids thread, knock yourself out. Just stay away from low-content nonsense.

Want to see totally exciting updates in my life in 140 characters or less? Check out my Twitter!
christiano27  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general cycling thread would do this would give it a longer life span as what happens when all the talk of steroids in the sport has been exhausted?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope the yankees can do it this year. they havent won the World Series in 8 years. I think they have a great Pitching Staff this year, with Jabba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes.

BTW, Anyone interested in a Scorehero ESPN Fantasy League, PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleverTangent wrote:
My (Atlanta) Braves haven't performed very well since the miracle year of 1991. I, as much as any other Atlantean fan, am ever hopeful of another miracle season, however impossible it may seem. This year, the Braves lost Andruw Jones, one of the "recognized names" on the team (every team has at least one - the Braves had two Joneses, now only one), which doesn't give me much faith in the team right now, but WHO KNOWS, maybe it'll turn around this season?

So, GO BRAVES, but let's hope that the postseason doesn't screw us again.

Braves fan here, as well.

I also cheer for the Red Sox as long as they aren't playing the Braves.
(Incidentally, I went to one of the Braves-Red Sox games at Turner Field last season. It was a very weird experience being in the park and having more than half the park HAPPY about the fact that the Braves were losing horribly.)

I think Glavine being back will give them the good mojo they need to win it all, even if he himself is not contributing that much.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
MPChedda  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hometown was KC, so guess I'm a Royals fan T_T. Yeah, we've been sucking the last decade, but with a new GM and coach and good young players, it looks to be turning around soon

On another note, a few of you know that I play D-1 baseball - well, here's hoping I'll be playing in the majors a few years from now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPChedda wrote:
Hometown was KC, so guess I'm a Royals fan T_T. Yeah, we've been sucking the last decade, but with a new GM and coach and good young players, it looks to be turning around soon

On another note, a few of you know that I play D-1 baseball - well, here's hoping I'll be playing in the majors a few years from now

HAH! You can be the next Joel Zu---you can be the next Curt Schi---you can be an awesome SH baseball player!

Want to see totally exciting updates in my life in 140 characters or less? Check out my Twitter!
BigE  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcos15 wrote:
I really hope the yankees can do it this year. they havent won the World Series in 8 years. I think they have a great Pitching Staff this year, with Jabba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes.

BTW, Anyone interested in a Scorehero ESPN Fantasy League, PM me.

sigh. Joba*

Anyways - I'm a huge Yankees fan and am looking forward to the season. Joba's going to start the year in the 'pen; I don't necessarily agree - but it probably will pay off.

In addition to to the Yanks I'm just a huge baseball fan in general. That's usually evidenced by the 5-8 fantasy leagues I am a part of. So, I'll give you all a little preview.

Division Winners:
AL East - Yankees - why not? It probably will be the Red Sox...but I don't care.
Al Central - Detroit - this is my AL world series participant if they stay healthy. Cleveland might give them a run...but Detroit is stacked.
AL West - Angels - I want to pick the Mariners...but Angels have a better offense and better pitching. That usually leads to you being a better team.
Wild Card - Red Sox...as much as I hate them and would rather have the Indians in.
NL East - Braves - kind of the odd pick here. But I like the way the Braves are put together. Right mix of young and experienced. I think the Mets have no pitching after Santana and the Phils have no pitching after Hamels (injury liability).
NL Central - Cubs - i know, i know, the Cubs. But, I like the team, and a healthy, full year from Soriano should be great. I want to pick Milwaukee, but the Cubs have better pitching.
NL West - D'Backs - Easily the hardest division to pick. But the D'Backs had a great year last year WITHOUT Dan Haren (Cy Young candidate in the AL! last year). Should be even better. But I like Torre, the Rocks, and even the Pads.
Wild Card - Phillies. Too much offense to stay out of the playoffs.

World Series Winner - Congratulations Detroit!

MVP AL - Miggy Cabrera, 2nd Place - A-Rod
MVP NL - Soriano (probably not...if the Mets end up in the playoffs: David Wright)
Cy Young AL - John Lackey
Cy Young NL - Brandon Webb (Santana if the Mets are in the playoffs)
NL ROY - Fukudome (tho watch out for Jay Bruce)
AL ROY - Jacoby Ellsbury (though watch out for Evan Longoria)

Look Out For - Justin Upton/Kevin Kouzmanoff

I've never actually put down one of these on record before. So, it'll be interesting to look back on this in October (or even May for that matter). Looking forward to this season!

My Sig Was Apparently Too Large.
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big baseball fan, and a huge Phillies fan for life. I think they definitely will make the playoffs this year, and depending on their pitching maybe a world series (PLOX, philly sports need a championship). Chase Utley is my favorite player, and has been ever since I was watching the Phils, and some guy I had never heard of was up to bat (Utley). He had the bases loaded for his first major league at bat, so the pressure was definitely on. Couple minutes later, Grand Slam! And I used to play 2B also so Utley is my favorite. Cole Hamels is awesome, and as long as he doesn't get injured I can see 20 wins for sure. He got 15 last year and had to sit out a month or two, so go figure. Besides them, the Phillies have some other great players like the last 2 MVPs Rollins and Howard, Shane Victorino (young player on the rise), Kyle Kendrick (another great young pitcher, could get 15 wins) and newly acquired closer Brad Lidge. Anyway, playoffs or bust this year. LETS GO FIGHTIN PHILS!

As for roids, I don't really follow the trials that much aside from what I read in Sports Illustrated (and I usually skip over the lengthy steroids articles) because I really don't care. It seems like everyone is using them, even though obviously some aren't. I would almost go as far as saying just legalize them (or a few that aren't as dangerous, if there are any) so that the playing field is level. I definitely have respect for the players that use steroids, since they are obviously more skilled than most at baseball regardless, but I hate the fact that the game is no longer fair.

And on a side MLB note I can't wait for MLB 2k8 coming out this tuesday, I love doing fantasy drafts and leading my franchise of my favorite players to the world series.
Rickjames730  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
I'm a huge Boston Red Sox fan

BOOO.
Why'd you guys have to pwn us so hard in the world series ;(

I had tickets for all three games and only got to go to one (sold tickets to the other one.)

Wanted to see the Rockies at least win a game though >_<

-Insert religious belief/disbelief here.- -Insert stupid comment about said belief.-
Seriously I'm tired of seeing those types of signatures. Nobody cares.
LCBetz  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Minnesota Twins, but I don't see a good year coming from them. It's disappointing to see my two favorite players (Santana and Hunter) get traded, but when you're a small market club you can only carry so much talent for so long before you can't afford it anymore. I still miss the Johan Santana desktop background that I had on my computer though.

If Liriano can't play much, who is our best starter? Josh Baker? Boof Bonser? We still have some guys in the lineup that can hit, but if we're giving up 8 runs every other night it's not gonna matter a whole lot. I'd like to be more optimistic than this, but I see a bad year a real possibility.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Big 'Ol Baseball Thread: Now (supposedly) steroid-fr Reply with quote

Alakaiser wrote:
It's cool that you like your team, but don't just say "GO DEVIL RAYS!" (devil rays fans? HAH!)...let us know why you like your team.

You meant "Rays," not "Devil Rays," I assume.

It's about that time in the cycle of the team's business model for my Marlins to hit rock bottom in the NL East. It's so weird rooting for this team- I loved that the good tickets were cheap and easy to find when I lived there before college. The players generally tried their damn best to play above their potential... to sign good contracts with other teams. And if lucky in the next three to four years we'll hopefully be contending for the NL Wild Card, as it has done wonders for us the last two times we made the playoffs.

Before all of that, though, I get a couple of years of a big "Fuck You!" from Jeffrey Loria and Larry Beinfest.

This will never be the only landscape we create.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: Shaph514 Wii Friend Code: 5063917987417061
Mazzocchi  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigE wrote:
NL East - Braves - kind of the odd pick here. But I like the way the Braves are put together. Right mix of young and experienced. I think the Mets have no pitching after Santana and the Phils have no pitching after Hamels (injury liability).

NO STARTERS AFTER SANTANA?!
Let me list 2 pitchers besides Santana that if they were on any other team, would be the teams "Ace"
1- Pedro Martinez (you didn't seriously forget about him, right?)
2- John Maine (He's young and only getting better, expect him to get 15, ATLEAST 13 wins this season)

The Met's are the clear-out favorite to win the NL East this year, actually I'm going to go on a limb and say they're the favorite to win the NL. Cubs? Everyone picks the Cubs every year to win it and what do they always do? Somehow fall short of everyone's high expectations. So yeah, The Mets imo are the CLEAR favorite for the NL East this year.

*clears throat*

Sorry, I'm just very passionate about my Mets.
Been a fan since around 92 and I'm still kinda pissed about the end of last year.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mazzocchi PSN Name: Mazzocchi ICQ Number
BIGp51  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigE wrote:

AL West - Angels - I want to pick the Mariners...but Angels have a better offense and better pitching. That usually leads to you being a better team.

The M's at one point last year were the only team in the majors to have everyone in their line-up (1-9) with atleast 50 RBI's. And thats with Richie "I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat" Sexon. Bedard, King Felix and Washburn are a damn good three man rotation. Bedard should be a beast and any lead Putz gets in the 9th is an automatic win. The M's are the dark horse of the AL this year.

Torii is gonna help the Angels, but come playoff time, Vlad will disappear again and the Angels will get swept by whoever they play.

Yeah, I'm an M's fan if ya can't tell. And I'm gonna say for a 4th straight year that Ichiro will hit .400 .

Can't wait for opening day so we can put this Clemens bullshit behind us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 2 of 75

Jump to: