ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Scoring, Star Power, and Squeezing on Drums
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Scoring, Star Power, and Squeezing on Drums Reply with quote

This is a guide/FAQ on how scoring, Star Power, and squeezing work on drums in Guitar Hero: World Tour.

Scoring

(Numbers in parentheses represent scores at 4x Multiplier)
[Numbers in brackets represent armor note scores at 4x Multiplier]

World Tour Drum Kit Charts

Bass Pedal: 75 points (300)
Orange Cymbal: 60 points (240) [360]
Red/Yellow/Green/Blue Pads: 50 points (200) [300]

RB1, RB2, Ion Kit Charts

Bass Pedal: 75 points (300)
Red/Yellow/Green/Blue: 50 points (200)
Armor notes do not exist in RB charts.

When using Star Power, all point values are doubled for the duration that the Star Power lasts.

Armor notes do not ever exist for the bass pedal on any chart.

You multiply a note's value by 1.5x to achieve how much you would get if it was an armor note.

I believe drum sustains are 50 points for every 1 beat under a 4x multiplier.

The multiplier goes up by individual hits instead of notes. It does not matter how many notes are in a single beat, it will still be considered as only one notch on the multiplier.

Star Power

If you are playing on a RB kit then just replace "orange" with "blue" and everything should make sense.

Activating: The following paragraph only applies to World Tour. It does not apply to GH:Metallica or future GH games. First of all, to activate you have to accumulate two phrases of star power and then hit the yellow and orange cymbals nearly simultaneously to activate Star Power. When activating on a yellow or orange note, you must hit the note that is NOT charted before you hit the note that IS charted. If a yellow note is coming down, you must hit the orange and then yellow to activate correctly and vice versa. I've tested this for many hours and every time this statement held true. Your two hits can even be separated by a fairly large margin and it will still activate. Someguy913 originally came up with this theory.

Side Notes On Activating

You cannot activate star power if a yellow and orange note come down together on the same beat.

If a yellow or orange note comes down alone and you activate within that note's timing window it will NOT count under SP, but it will still be counted as a regular hit and an orange flame will come up.

When you activate, you get about 1 or 2 timing window lengths of "free time" to get yourself back in position and to start playing again. There is not a set note amount that is automatically hit for you. There is a certain time length of "free time".

Now, when you use this "free time", the notes that go by the screen will not break your multiplier, but they will not be counted for any points whatsoever (this only applies to World Tour). However, if you do decide to play all of the notes that would be in this "free time", they will be counted as under Star Power. In GH:Metallica the notes that you don't play because of activating Star Power will still count as being hit and will count for points.

Squeezing

Assuming you have read the Star Power section of this FAQ, you should have a pretty good understanding of how Star Power works.

The easiest front-end squeeze to explain is the bass pedal squeeze. You basically activate Star Power directly on beat with the bass pedal and then just hit the pedal a little later than the beat.

It is, however, possible to do a much more complex front-end squeeze by abusing the timing window quite a bit. Say we have a beat that consists of red, yellow, and bass pedal. Normally, if we were to activate Star Power here the red note would just float by, the yellow would be an orange flame, and the bass pedal would be under Star Power and be a blue flame if we were to do the regular front-end squeeze. Instead of just having that red note float by, though, you can quickly move your hands from the cymbals and hit the red and have it count as under SP instead of zero points. The same thing would happen with a blue or green note.

When making paths you have to decide how much you are willing to squeeze to change where your activations are. There are many, many factors that could change what would be the best activation in certain situations. If you need help then feel free to ask.

For back-end squeezing it's the same as it has always been. Just hit the last note(s) as early as you can. You usually will want to end your activations on the most point-filled beats you can find.

Last edited by HoorayItsMike on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Hooray its Mike
someguy913  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only question I have about this is regarding the "freebie" window. If you activate over a certain note without playing it and the game "gives" the note(s) to you, do they simply not break your streak, or do you receive points as though you had actually played them?

Otherwise, good post. I'm sure it will come in useful once fill-spamming becomes a highly-honed art, as every game mechanic (no matter how ridiculous) inevitably does around here.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: someguy913ps PSN Name: someguy913
Whitt333  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems very hard for fast moving songs like Everlong without missing a combo. (activating it during a drum roll or something.) I wonder if anyone will ever be able to get that good at activating

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someguy913 wrote:
The only question I have about this is regarding the "freebie" window. If you activate over a certain note without playing it and the game "gives" the note(s) to you, do they simply not break your streak, or do you receive points as though you had actually played them?

Otherwise, good post. I'm sure it will come in useful once fill-spamming becomes a highly-honed art, as every game mechanic (no matter how ridiculous) inevitably does around here.

Honestly..I don't know. Sometime I'll take the time to figure it out but for now I'm pretty busy doing some other things around ScoreHero. I'm almost positive it gives you the npoints though...and if it does, then it would be under SP as long as my theory is correct.

Whitt333 wrote:
This seems very hard for fast moving songs like Everlong without missing a combo. (activating it during a drum roll or something.) I wonder if anyone will ever be able to get that good at activating

Oh it's very difficult actually, but also very possible. You have the length of one timing window to go up and hit the cymbals and then another timing window length to resume playing. So you have about 1/3 of a second or so to hit the cymbals and come back down..which if you think about it is actually a decent amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for a HUGE update. Everyone needs to read the "Activating" section. This will help you to activate without breaking combo nearly every time as long as you do it right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't 100% related to this guide, but do you have any clue how the Rock Meter works? Is it similar to Rock Band where some colors are worth more? It's weird because on the BRE-type things that are charted (Overkill, Stranglehold), I sometimes plummet into the red, almost failing, and then on some songs I pass with a note percentage in the mid-80's, but I'm pretty sure I was in at least the yellow the whole time. The lowest I have on RB2 is 87% on Teenage Riot, and that's pretty easily attributed to the fact that I miss a lot of the hi-hat run but it's not worth that much. The lowest "normal" song I have is 88% on Shoulder to the Plow and I was down to a centimeter of life on two separate occasions.

It's weird, I don't know how to interpret the Rock Meter in this game.

Now Available in e-book format! Book 1 Book 2
Otharia - Science Fiction/Fantasy from some aspiring writers, check it out! Updates weekly!
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydrapower wrote:
I know this isn't 100% related to this guide, but do you have any clue how the Rock Meter works? Is it similar to Rock Band where some colors are worth more? It's weird because on the BRE-type things that are charted (Overkill, Stranglehold), I sometimes plummet into the red, almost failing, and then on some songs I pass with a note percentage in the mid-80's, but I'm pretty sure I was in at least the yellow the whole time. The lowest I have on RB2 is 87% on Teenage Riot, and that's pretty easily attributed to the fact that I miss a lot of the hi-hat run but it's not worth that much. The lowest "normal" song I have is 88% on Shoulder to the Plow and I was down to a centimeter of life on two separate occasions.

It's weird, I don't know how to interpret the Rock Meter in this game.

Overkill is glitched and it is not possible to hit the bass notes while you are hitting the drum sustain. Missing 3 notes and then hitting the bass pedal 3 times REALLY kills your rock meter. It may just be more than those 3 notes, as well, I'm not entirely sure.

As for my own theory after playing a lot, though, the rock meter really depends on if you are "trying" or not. If you flail and randomly hit a couple notes here and there, you won't fail very easily. If you entirely stop playing for multiple notes in a row then your rock meter will PLUMMET. In BYOB Send the Poor 1 and 2 if your bass pedal gets off beat you miss about 12 bass notes in 1 or 2 seconds and you will fail instantly. The reason you fail so fast is because you were missing multiple notes in a row. I've passed that section by randomly hitting the snare, hi-hat, and bass pedal in an unorthodox manner under Star Power. I barely passed, but I did end up passing even though I probably hit a less percentage than if I would've just played the snare and hi-hat.

The game seems to try and figure out when you are "cheating" it to pass a section, like not playing any bass pedal. Even under Star Power you will still fail if you never play the bass pedal, despite hitting 66% of the notes in that section, which normally should easily pass a section under Star Power.

Location: St. Louis (To be more accurate St. Chuck (St. Charles))

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimal will e impossible to get on a song lol. Unless you have someone else to hit YO/BY :P.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: flammablelion PSN Name: flammablelion
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flammablelion wrote:
Optimal will e impossible to get on a song lol. Unless you have someone else to hit YO/BY :P.

Any song with a drum fill is impossible to get optimal on. Period.

However I think there are about 5 or so songs without drum fills. Hail to the Freaks (I believe) is the only song in the game with no accented notes or drum fills, making it the easiest song to get optimal on. It also has no drum fills and has a fairly simple hi-hat and snare beat throughout the entire song.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I want to be a professional Beginner Drum player. How should I go about squeezing?
The way you spelled Metallica reminds me of the way Lynyrd Skynyrd was spelled on the cover of GH:M originally.. >_>
ohh noes! typing error, someone call the police!!
Me - "Hello, 911. I'm calling on the behalf of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neversoft has failed to spell the name correctly on the game, Guitar Hero: Metallica. This will effect their image and possibly reduce sales for the band. I suggest suing the company."
Police - "Who the fuck do you think you are? WMG? Get off our line."
lilo95  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoorayItsMike wrote:
flammablelion wrote:

Just like it was impossible to FC etc, TTFAF, Jordan. Technically this isn't impossible as there IS a maximum score and it IS POSIBBLE to get. Period

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilo95 wrote:
HoorayItsMike wrote:
flammablelion wrote:

Just like it was impossible to FC etc, TTFAF, Jordan. Technically this isn't impossible as there IS a maximum score and it IS POSIBBLE to get. Period

No. It really isn't because we can get an infinite number of points in drum fills. No matter how fast you think you hit the drums, you can still hit them faster and get more points. You will never max out a drum fill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't exactly post my question for no reason, you know.
The way you spelled Metallica reminds me of the way Lynyrd Skynyrd was spelled on the cover of GH:M originally.. >_>
Me - "Hello, 911. I'm calling on the behalf of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Neversoft has failed to spell the name correctly on the game, Guitar Hero: Metallica. This will effect their image and possibly reduce sales for the band. I suggest suing the company."
HoorayItsMike  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRYBOPandRYBOGP wrote:
I didn't exactly post my question for no reason, you know.

Sorry about that, I totally missed that the last time I checked this thread.

GRYBOPandRYBOGP wrote:
I have a question. I want to be a professional Beginner Drum player. How should I go about squeezing?

Well, I would assume that it's similar to guitar beginner mode where it's just a bar coming down the screen and you play any drum beat to hit it? If that's not correct then sorry and I'll check it out tomorrow. I would assume that when you would activate SP the note you activate on would NOT be under SP, just like on other difficulties. So technically, I don't think it would be possible to squeeze. On certain activations it would be possible, but if you just had straight 8th notes coming down the screen then I don't think it would be possible to squeeze because when you activate on the note, it doesn't count under SP. When you activate off of the note, then you are basically wasting space with your SP. It's very confusing to explain.

On an activation where the last note would be a 16th note earlier than the straight 8th notes you were playing, you would technically be able to hit that back-end squeeze.

The thing is, you have to activate before a note's timing window to make it count under SP. This makes it impossible to gain any extra notes on the back-end of an activation because you will always be more than the note's timing window away from being able to hit it under SP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what if I hit the note twice in the time window? Like or + Bass Pedal.

Quote:
Instead of just having that red note float by, though, you can quickly move your hands from the cymbals and hit the red snare and have it count as under SP instead of zero points. The same thing would happen with a blue or green note.

Also, how big are timing windows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: