ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Types of Music Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
You're not using the same logic. If you steal a book that would be equivalent to stealing a CD or vinyl (or tape or whatever format you like). These - under some circumstances - are indeed being 'into' whatever you pursue. This is much different from obtaining music digitally or viewing pages of books online.

No matter how the content reaches your brain, you are enjoying it. Be it reading a book online, or downloading the MP3.

MetalheadNorm wrote:
@Above poster: Because the actual audio is just a portion of the music. It has less worth, and no physical embodiment and is for these reasons, lacking in content and easy to discard.

Oh, so CDs are worth less (not money wise) than vinyl? Vinyl has the sound waves built right into the hard copy of the disk... but a CD has to load through something digitally.

What if I download in FLAC?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said this...
MetalheadNorm wrote:
1. You shouldn't make such broad generalizations to begin with.

...then you said these...

MetalheadNorm wrote:
2. Most people who like the indie sound don't automatically dislike popular bands.
5. Also, you seem like a young person, so maybe you're not aware, but people who are into music EXPAND their tastes as they get older.
6. Usually, people who say they are into all kinds of music are actually not into music at all, they just illegally download a lot of mp3s.
7. Downloading MP3s is like the opposite of being into music...(Um, what?)

I stopped from replying to each point individually since this1neguy is more than capable of doing that, but you really need to look over your posts before submitting them.

And why does everyone think generalizing people is so terribly wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brockbfball1563 wrote:
And why does everyone think generalizing people is so terribly wrong?

Well, it does point out some pretty interesting things about groups, but most of the time the generalizations are actually too narrow, as opposed to the normal accusation of being too broad, causing them to be biased, meaning you're going to either hear nothing but extremely brown-nosed praising or something getting bashed to utter shit. Labeling can be a decent method of getting your point across to people if you go about it with a certain level of tact, but if you're not careful, you can really piss some people off and come out looking pretentious as all hell.

EDIT: After thinking about it a little bit, I realized that the bit about generalizations being too broad or too narrow can actually go both ways at the same time. Hard concept to put my finger on.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BigFatBob08
GenericName  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:

7. Downloading MP3s is like the opposite of being into music...

Are you honestly going to say that because I download my music, (legally, even. I BUY it.) I am not "into" music? So what if I only own one CD and the rest of my music is on my iPod. It's not my fault that there are no stores near my house that sells CDs that I would like to buy - The only stores I have to pick from are Wal-Mart and Best Buy, and both lack the CDs that I want to buy, for the most part.

So, because I can't but physical copies of the music that I want, does that mean I don't enjoy it? Sure, I would love to have a large collection of CDs, and plan on doing so once I get a source of income that I don't have to save for school and food other necessities. But It sure as hell doesn't mean I'm not "into" my music now because I can't get CDs of it.

cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download music because I can't afford it, not because I don't like it. I love it, music is my passion, practically my way of life, I just can not afford it.

So, I do not agree that downloading MP3s is being anti-music.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Girl in Fire: You are arguing against things that I haven't even said.

@Generic Name: #7 is a statement that not a lot of people are going to grasp. Let's just say that no one here has yet to think of it in the same way I do. No, I'm not saying that anybody here is not into music. I obviously don't know you people, so such an observation would be impossible to make > >. Hm, so I think that if #7 makes anyone upset, they should just ignore it. I was hoping that maybe someone else would be thinkin the same way.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
@Generic Name: #7 is a statement that not a lot of people are going to grasp. Let's just say that no one here has yet to think of it in the same way I do. No, I'm not saying that anybody here is not into music. I obviously don't know you people, so such an observation would be impossible to make > >. Hm, so I think that if #7 makes anyone upset, they should just ignore it. I was hoping that maybe someone else would be thinkin the same way.

If you expect people to think the same way as you when you make a statement that has a line of thinking that you've made intentionally so vague, you're going to be upset in no time. Why not just say what you're trying to get at instead of saying "well if it makes you upset ignore it"? That sentiment is in no way logical.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:

You can't just toss out a comment and then ignore explaining it at every turn, because you think no one will "GET" it.

From an audio point of view, yes MP3's aren't exactly the best quality...but what does quality matter as long as the music is good? Sure I'd love to have the best quality that comes from Vinyl or whatever, but I also like to be able to have all my music in an easy to carry manner, such as using my iPod. But how does that demean the music in anyway? I actually prefer to listen to my music in the car on the go. I use to just go driving, listening to my favorite music as I enjoyed the scenery back in Alaska. That seems just as valid as say going to a concert or listening on a high quality stereo system at home.

It's all about enjoying the music, not the medium it is on.
munkyzero  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scene kids: the cancer that is killing music.

Sure, I'm being judgmental, musical taste is an opinion, etc., whatever. Scene kids are turning music into more of a shallow novelty than an art.
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
I download music because I can't afford it, not because I don't like it. I love it, music is my passion, practically my way of life, I just can not afford it.

So, I do not agree that downloading MP3s is being anti-music.

Exactly. Maybe when I get older and actually have a job and money floating around, I'll start to buy more CD's and the like. I mean, I love physical copies and stuff, but I just can't afford them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
@Girl in Fire: You are arguing against things that I haven't even said.

Why do you insist on believing that anybody who doesn't understand your incredibly flawed arguments doesn't understand what you're saying? I mean, that wouldn't be quite so bad, but your refusal to explain anything after that leads me to believe you know you haven't got a leg to stand on. If you want to retain any credibility, you're going to have to back up your absurd - and in all truth extremely condescending and rather insulting - remarks.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munkyzero wrote:
I disagree. I think it is the category of music listeners that listen to classic rock exclusively and use the logic "If it hasn't been made before 1980, then it is pure crap." Also, the glorification of old bands isn't helping much either. There is no acceptance of new music in today's society. That's why they had to get The Who to play in the super bowl. It doesn't make sense to me because musically, there are so many better bands. The majority of the rock music made before 1980 had little, if any musicality. The songs consisted of only three or four chords. (If you are still reading this, then I applaud you for reading my brief rant on why the rock music industry is doomed.)

3926 0220 0199 1364
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Dude, there are so many things wrong with your OP that it's ridiculous.

7. Downloading MP3s is like the opposite of being into music...

Downloading MP3s was never mentioned in the OP also that would kind of be the opposite of being into 'owning albums' and not being into 'music.' You're listening to the music either way, and you're not gonna like it any more if you paid for it (but actually having CDs with lyrics, art, etc. is a million times better). I can see where you're coming from, I mean if I really like a band I want to give them my money. Also the sound quality on a CD will probably be better, and as I just said the art and lyrics are nice. But it's not like a lot of people just go on torrent sites and download a shit ton of music they don't like. I assume you would only download music from bands you were already 'into.'

Also they didn't have the new Dillinger album at any stores for the longest time, of course I'm going to download it because I'm INTO THE BAND

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joekickass1234 wrote:
munkyzero wrote:
I disagree. I think it is the category of music listeners that listen to classic rock exclusively and use the logic "If it hasn't been made before 1980, then it is pure crap." Also, the glorification of old bands isn't helping much either. There is no acceptance of new music in today's society. That's why they had to get The Who to play in the super bowl. It doesn't make sense to me because musically, there are so many better bands. The majority of the rock music made before 1980 had little, if any musicality. The songs consisted of only three or four chords. (If you are still reading this, then I applaud you for reading my brief rant on why the rock music industry is doomed.)

To an extent I agree, but aren't you generalising old music just as much as the people you're attacking generalise new music? I know the generalisation isn't your point per se, but I think it's still kind of counterproductive.

Xtresso: Hey, I'm into the band!

*shot*
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do music listeners have to be labeled? I'm sorry, I don't really get the point of this topic. It basically epitomizes why music genres suck as it causes a divide between listeners by giving people who listen to a certain type of music some sort of title, turns music into a competition, and causes snobbishness and close-mindedness. I don't care for pigeonholing myself into a group that listens to a select type of music. I like to consider ymself someone who listens to what I want to listen to.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: