ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

Well, in my history of rock and roll class, we basically have free reign on what our final term paper is going to be. I've elected to prove that the Guitar Hero/Rock Band business has proven as a revitalization in the interest of "classic rock," and to further my point, I'd like your guys' help. I'd like to gather some information from you guys to use as reference material for my paper. Haven't really decided whether I'm just going to make statistics out of this or what, but I figured the hardcore GH players would be able to help out on a GH-related term paper. Answer these questions as honestly as you can, please. I'm not here to judge that you didn't know Free Bird before playing it in GH2. I'm just here to get some information for my paper .

- Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game? If so, what songs are these?
    - Are there songs that you knew before Guitar Hero, but have grown to dislike after playing the song in the game? If so, what songs are these?
    - Have you gone out and bought an album because you heard the song in GH and liked it so much?
    - Would you prefer a GH game composed of entirely songs that you did not know, or a GH game composed entirely of songs that you knew before playing? (In other words, do you enjoy the aspect of experiencing brand new music or music that you already know and love?)

The more specific you could be with these answers, the better. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the band that plays They Say in GH5 is the only real example of a band I never heard of before GH.

No really, exact opposite

Yes! I have! GH has influenced which vinyl's I put higher on my lists than others. And because of GH I renewed interest in bands like Bloc Party and A Perfect Circle!

I think I like it being a mix. Perhaps a GH game composed entirely of songs I didn't know from bands I do know?
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im probably not the best person for this, but meh.

- Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game? If so, what songs are these? A broad answer, but an honest one. 90% of RB2/DLC I've never heard of. I never really listened to radio (and only then a classic rock station) so anything besides Classic rock, I've never heard of.

- Are there songs that you knew before Guitar Hero, but have grown to dislike after playing the song in the game? If so, what songs are these? Not really. All the songs i hate, I never really liked in the first place.

- Have you gone out and bought an album because you heard the song in GH and liked it so much? No.

- Would you prefer a GH game composed of entirely songs that you did not know, or a GH game composed entirely of songs that you knew before playing? (In other words, do you enjoy the aspect of experiencing brand new music or music that you already know and love?) Songs I love. I would always think about how the chart would be like if [insert song here] was in GH. Especially since i love the songs, i KNOW i would play it, instead of investing 60 dollars on a 50/50 chance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Artists - An Endless Sporadic, DragonForce, Metallica, The Stone Roses
Songs - any DragonForce song, Love Spreads, (Re Education) Through Labor, Cult of Personality

2) Dislikes, Rock and Roll All Nite maybe the cover killed it, Surrender, Love in An Elevator well most of the Aerosmith songs in the GH/RB series

3) Metallica's ...and Justice for All before GH and RB I was never familiar with Metallica. Strike me down metal gods

4) A game full of 90s rock songs would be fantastic(Third Eye Blind, Sublime etc...)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: shooter21198SH
soundbarrier4  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big things that affected me was The Beatles Rock Band. I was honestly not that much of a Beatles fan, but after playing TBRB, I gained a huge appreciation for The Beatles and their music and it's made me a fan.

No I haven't gone out to buy an album just because it was in GH/RB, but I have downloaded many songs that I have in GH/RB because I find them to be catchy.

I would prefer a game created based off of music that I already know. Guitar Hero has already created games with music I don't really know and I don't like those games.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: soundbarrier4SH
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game?
There are many songs that fit this example in Guitar Hero 5. Some songs I enjoyed and have grown to love are "Stremeline Woman", "Younk Funk", "Maiden Mother And Crone" (got me back into The Sword). From GHWT, there were "Stillborn", "Obstacle 1" and "Stranglehold". Also enjoyed the work of An Endless Sparodic ("Anything" and "Impulse") who could owe much of their success to Guitar Hero.

Are there songs that you knew before Guitar Hero, but have grown to dislike after playing the song in the game?
Through The Fire And Flames (in GH3), Raining Blood (in GH3)... I can't say anything more really.

Have you gone out and bought an album because you heard the song in GH and liked it so much?
Yes, I bought Tool's Lateralus after hearing "Schism" and "Parabola" in GHWT, as well as Black Label Society's The Blessed Hellride (the album "Stillborn" is on).

Would you prefer a GH game composed of entirely songs that you did not know, or a GH game composed entirely of songs that you knew before playing?
I think finding new music is part of what drives Guitar Hero (as well as rhythm gaming in general) so I think it should stay in the middle; having well known songs mixed with lesser known bands, rather than one or the other.[/b]

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

- Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game? If so, what songs are these?
Yes, this happens to me quite often. Some good examples: pretty much all of the DragonForce songs, A-Punk (Vampire Weekend), Evil (Mercyful Fate), and the entire Peace Sells album.

- Are there songs that you knew before Guitar Hero, but have grown to dislike after playing the song in the game? If so, what songs are these?
Nope, not at all.

- Have you gone out and bought an album because you heard the song in GH and liked it so much?
Yes. Multiple times. Some good examples are Colors by Between the Buried and Me, and Costello Music by the Fratellis.

- Would you prefer a GH game composed of entirely songs that you did not know, or a GH game composed entirely of songs that you knew before playing? (In other words, do you enjoy the aspect of experiencing brand new music or music that you already know and love?)
Like Cyberwaste said, the series thrives on new music, so I'd actually enjoy a game that has a 75% new songs to a 25% of songs that are timeless classics. [/b]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sticking with the recent DLC, Night Ranger. Night fucking Ranger. I'd never heard Sister Christian before the recent RB pack, and, well...I still prefer the 3 songs on the RB pack. To go for more general, established artists who I really like now, there's, to name a few, Megadeth, Aerosmith, Rush, Boston, Steely Dan (GOD Yes), Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Tom Petty...to name but a few. I do consider Rock Band a better source of things like this, though, with its large DLC schedule and more varied DLC (It's rare to get more than 1 artist's worth of DLC for GH. We need less artist packs, more genre/themed packs.)

DragonForce went from "Meh" to "God Awful Cheesy Speed Metal" with their inclusion in GH.

Other than that, there is no band in GH/RB history that the word "Dislike" can even be applied to. I like the music in these games a lot.

From memory...

Ten (Pearl Jam), Countdown to Ecstacy & Can't Buy A Thrill (Steely Dan. I uh...legally downloaded the rest to listen to while out of money), Greatest Hit...(And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs) (Dream Theater).

I'm sure there's more, but those ones stand out greatly. I'm also planning to try and import a copy of An Endless Sporadic's new album when I get money, but I might just settle for iTunes instead.

I'd say a 30/70 split, the 30 being what I know and the 70 being something new. The new stuff has generally been good, I wouldn't have discovered bands like TV on the Radio, The 88, Airbourne, etc. without theses games. And the In-House bands are also amazing and every game furthers my love for Bang Camaro. Even the ones without it.

That said, I would like artists I know and songs I'm pretty unfamiliar with by them (Last Child, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Commotion, etc.), or perhaps songs that were great hits one time and then steadily became forgotten (No Rain, etc.)

That's not to say that I don't want songs and artists I know already, god no. Interpol being in both GHWT and RB2 was pretty amazing to me, and I really hope that we see more soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game? If so, what songs are these?

Yes, just some of these artists are: Muse, In Flames, Killswitch Engage and Buckethead.

HylianHero wrote:
Are there songs that you knew before Guitar Hero, but have grown to dislike after playing the song in the game? If so, what songs are these?

No, not really. No matter how much the chart sucks, it can't change my opinion of the song itself.

HylianHero wrote:
Have you gone out and bought an album because you heard the song in GH and liked it so much?

No.

HylianHero wrote:
Would you prefer a GH game composed of entirely songs that you did not know, or a GH game composed entirely of songs that you knew before playing? (In other words, do you enjoy the aspect of experiencing brand new music or music that you already know and love?)

Actually, I wouldn't prefer any of these. It's nice to have a game with songs I don't know at all, so I get to know a lot of new music, but on the other hand, it's good to have a game with all the songs I know. A combination of the two is probably the best.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 438237975587
FlannelJacket  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game? If so, what songs are these?

No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age, Freya by The Sword, Lay Down by Priestess, and Carry Me Home by The Living End are the first songs that come to mind. Those songs definitely made me want to play more of them.

HylianHero wrote:
Are there songs that you knew before Guitar Hero, but have grown to dislike after playing the song in the game? If so, what songs are these?

Through The Fire And Flames by DragonForce and Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria, just because of how overpicked they were online. There's a few other songs this happened with, but they weren't as severe as these.

HylianHero wrote:

Thanks to hearing No One Knows in GH1, I purchased two Queens of the Stone Age albums.

HylianHero wrote:
Would you prefer a GH game composed of entirely songs that you did not know, or a GH game composed entirely of songs that you knew before playing?

I prefer a mix of both. Songs I like pull me in, and it's always nice to hear new stuff, since I don't know if I'll dislike it yet or if it'll end up being something new that I'll really like and end up wanting more of. Plus, if a game is filled with songs I already listen to a lot, chances are I'll get tired of them faster than songs that are completely new to me.

<bjw> :U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U:U
Nivlheim  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

Testament for one, although this particular one has to do with Rock Band and not Guitar Hero. Hope it's still relevant. Never heard anything of theirs before Electric Crown showed up as DLC, and with Souls of Black in RB2 I was sold.

And even though I had heard three songs before, I would have to say Megadeth. Guitar Hero 1's Symphony of Destruction and 2's Hangar 18 moved them from somewhere in the periphery of my musical interest to the center point. I knew they existed, but with GH1 and GH2 I went from kinda disliking Dave's snarling vocals to loving them. For Hangar 18 in particular this was in part due to what I think was a wicked fun note chart. I just loved playing it over and over - which was exactly what I needed to grow to like Megadeth's sound. Perhaps also a testament to the quality of the covers?

I take it you mean that I liked them or were at least impartial to them before. In that case, no, I can't really think of any. For the songs I had already heard, Guitar Hero has, without exception, made me like them more.

Yes. Megadeth's Rust in Peace after hearing Hangar 18 in GH2.

My favorite would probably be a mix of maybe 60% new and 40% known. I like how the GH/RB games expose me to new music and force me to listen, and I've learned about some great bands this way, but for the happy-feeling of pretend-rockstar I also want a game to have a decent selection of artists/tracks I like or even love. This way there's always something I can dive straight into from the get-go and immediately be able to follow the music.
GenericName  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good bit of this happening all the time - Although most of it happens from Rock Band - Some examples from GH would be the Harmonix bands from the first 2 games, such as Drist, Freezepop, and Bang Camaro. From RB2/DLC, I've grown to love Steely Dan, Testament and Megadeth, among others. The band-centric games have made me interested in those bands also. Beatles:RB has gotten me more interested in the Beatles, and I have gone out and purchased some of their albums, even though I don't even own the game yet.

This happened with Constant Motion for me, on RB2.

I bought a lot of music like this - Megadeth's Rust in Peace, Bang Camaro's self-titled album, Drist's Orchids and Ammunition, A good bit of individual Steely Dan songs on iTunes, a lot of Metallica, and two or three albums of The Beatles, due to B:RB.

As long as it is a main-series game (Such as GH3, GH5, etc.) I woudl like about a 70/30 balance, 70% new music, 30% of stuff I know and love.

I think that covers everything...

Kratos  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Especially in Guitar Hero 1, I remember playing Ace of Spades and going "OH, THAT'S what that song is" and starting to like Motorhead. It also got me to like Pantera, Blue Oyster Cult, hell, I wasn't a HUGE music person before then, and suddenly all this awesome music was hitting me at once. Growing up, I only was exposed to country radio, so I wasn't that aware of other genres. Guitar hero really opened up the world of rock and roll (and later metal) for me.

Through the Fire and Flames. I had been a major Dragonforce fan years before GH3 came out, this being one of my favorites. Now, of course I was excited it was coming to GH, but now so many people are obsessed with the song, it's lost it's appeal. Likewise, in Rock Band, extremely popular songs such as Dirty Little Secret and All The Small Things, which I used to enjoy listening to, are now so overplayed when I have friends over that I'm sick of them.

Bought? No. Downloaded? About 10 GB worth

This is a tough decision. Initially, I want to say a game full of songs I already know. But then I look back and in retrospect see that many of the songs I had never heard of ended up being favorites. Not to enter a fanboy - mode or to take a hit against guitar hero, but this is where I prefer Rock Band's method of DLC, rather than multiple games. What ends up happening is, while you get both a mixture of songs you know and don't know, you are told both the difficulty and genre of the song, so you can know what to look out for.

So ideally, a GH game with something like 2/3 songs I know and love, and 1/3 songs I don't know would be best.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
Yep, several. Artists I knew of before but just never listened to such as Boston, The Who, Deep Purple, Bad Religion, The James Gang, and even The Beatles as well as artists I had never heard before such as Bang Camaro, Black Tide, and Breaking Benjamin.

HylianHero wrote:
All Bon Jovi and Journey songs. Before gh/rb I just kind of ignored these artists..but playing them in game made me dislike them so much more.

HylianHero wrote:
Definitely..I bought Boston's first album after playing it in Rock Band, and though its not a classic rock band, but I had never heard of Breaking Benjamin before rock band but when I played the drum charts I liked them so much I went out and bought all of their albums.

HylianHero wrote:
Forced to choose between those two options I'd take the game with songs I knew. If the game was completely songs I didn't know, I probably wouldn't be into it enough to play it often. When it's mixed up I play it for the songs I know and them find ones that I don't...thats one of the reasons I buy all DLC, it keeps the variety going.
damdamdam  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GH's usefulness to the music industry (Term Paper) Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
[list]- Are there songs and/or artists that you had never heard before playing their song in Guitar Hero and grew to like and wanted to play more in-game? If so, what songs are these?

Yes. Quite a lot. Boston stands out in this category. I bought the whole DLC pack in Rock Band.

Quote:

Aqualung by Jethro Tull. Depending on my mood, prog rock can be quite tedious at times.
Quote:

Sure. Too many to count (maybe an hundred CDs or so, directly or indirectly because of GH or RB)
Quote:

A whole game with songs or bands I don't know would be a hard sell, but why not ? I wouldn't mind if it's music I don't know I love. I usually don't try very hard with new music because of the RB DLCs. I don't have to buy them, so I don't. However selling a new GH or RB without any iconic songs would not be very wise for marketing reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: