SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Between the Buried and Me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshleyAlden wrote:
I have a weird relationship with this band. Instrumentally, I love most of their stuff, but I just can't bring myself to listen to the parts with vocals. The singer's styles do not resonate with me at all and put me right off of the music.

People have told me to "get used to them and you'll like them" but I don't think that's a proper way of appreciating something.

So yeah, I think their music is great, but the vocals kill it for me, which is kinda sad.

The problem is that you're going to need to get use to new things that you hear in music. It's rare that someone fully appreciates music the first time they hear it, you need to learn to appreciate by listening to it, listening to other music like it, and understanding the context and culture of it to get the maximum enjoyment. If you are going to let the use of other vocal styles besides clean deter you from listening to music, you are going to miss out on SO MANY good bands, it's not even funny.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
anonymous_97  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshleyAlden wrote:
[
EDIT: Just finished it. It's good, but not something I couldn't listen to lots. The quirky "out-of-genre" fills/sections are kinda cool and fun to listen to and the vocals aren't as bad as I thought. From a first complete run-through, I'd give colors a 7/10. I'll replay it tomorrow.

I say next get Alaska, but the instrumental version also.

Also, 2.5k plays on last.fm C:
TheDominator39  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it seems like people are kinda hating on TGM! It kinda surprises me actually. Sure, it could've had a better ending, it did take away from the feel of the album a bit. And I kinda hate that each album is getting less and less heavy, but in my opinion, TGM is probably their best work. Colors was an epic concept album and I didn't think they'd be able to top it, but TGM just flowed so well and somehow their chemistry continues to evolve. I will say that, as far as individual songs go, Colors was a better album, but as whole albums, TGM was better. I do miss the more angry and raw side of BTBAM though, like The Silent Circus. What album I feel like listening to would really depend on what mood I'm in. All things considered, my favorite albums (excluding Colors: Live and The Anatomy Of) might go in order like so:

The Great Misdirect
The Silent Circus
Colors
Alaska
Self-Titled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants Of The Sky and Disease, Injury, Madness both have this awesome riff in them. The on in Ants Of The Sky is quite short, but it's so amazing.

It's funny, because about a minute before the riff in Disease, Injury, Madness started, I was thinking how fucking awesome it would be if TGM had another one of "those rifts".

I guess I should get some videos so you know what I'm talking about.
Ants of The Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKqrPEJxx-8&feature=related
Starts at about :38

Disease, Injury, Madness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwm0mIaqVRU
starts at about 8:39
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshleyAlden: The rest of this thread will tell you otherwise, but not liking BTBAM because of the screams is a very good reason. There are plenty of other bands that do what they do, you can find another with a vocalist you like. Even then, I personally don't really find them that appealing or any of their instrumental work at all amazing, so don't feel weird if you don't like them.

I came into this thread to see if there were any people who favored TGM to Colors, and to see if any people considered it an indecent follow up to Colors. Just curious
Yewb  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm more or less alone when I say that I listen to BTBAM (and most music) almost entirely for the lyrics. I love them as musicians - hell, I even love Tommy's harsh vocals on Colors - but lyrically speaking, they really shine for me.

While I'm here (and sober; happy New Year, everyone), I'd like to put forth a suggestion for a message in Colors that I've never heard mentioned before. Could be wrong, obviously, but it's interesting nonetheless.

There are eight tracks on the album Colors, the first seven of which display an entirely different angle on current human societies. The last track unites all these concepts into one and gives us an overall message for the album. It's called White Walls.

As taken from Wikipedia, "white light is the effect of combining the visible colors of light in equal proportions."

Does anyone know if this is deliberate? I do spend a larger-than-average proportion of my time actively looking for symbolism and metaphor in the music I listen to, so it's entirely possible I've created connections in my head that don't exist.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
eyewin8  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:

There are eight tracks on the album Colors, the first seven of which display an entirely different angle on current human societies. The last track unites all these concepts into one and gives us an overall message for the album. It's called White Walls.

As taken from Wikipedia, "white light is the effect of combining the visible colors of light in equal proportions."

Does anyone know if this is deliberate? I do spend a larger-than-average proportion of my time actively looking for symbolism and metaphor in the music I listen to, so it's entirely possible I've created connections in my head that don't exist.

Looks like you're trying too hard to find things. You and 95% of people who analyze literature try too hard and make me hate poetry units in English :|

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically got into them because HellAshes did and he FC'd Jordan so, you know. I have to listen to everything he listens to and FC Jordan. (I SWEAR I'm not a creeper )

My reaction first listening to Colors/BTBAM (condensed):
"Oooooooh... hmmm... whuh? Oh. Oh. Um.... huh..... okay........ ooooo..... oh hey!! Hmmmm... Wait.... what the fuck are they-bu-wow.... um... ahhhh... ooooooooo.... op. Here we g-WOAH. WHAT? Awesome."

I bought Alaska a few months ago, but I've only recently started listening to it again. It's almost the same album format as The Silent Circus, but I'm leaning towards liking this one better. Backwards Marathon is really breathtaking especially (at the very least the extended interlude); Tommy isn't the lead vocalist for nothing. To go from growls to screeching to this... well, damn.

Anyone else also really like their cover album? It's all gold, and it's introduced me to some new bands too. Oh and also FUCKING RESOLVE AT THE END OF THE NEW ALBUM that still drives me crazy.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyewin8 wrote:
Yewb wrote:

Looks like you're trying too hard to find things. You and 95% of people who analyze literature try too hard and make me hate poetry units in English :|

Well, whether it's intentional or not it's an interesting idea, I think I've always been like this, though. I've done the whole thing with English modules, especially in poetry, but I've always enjoyed looking for this stuff whether I'm forced to or not.

Still, though, most of the song titles in Colors (even more so in TGM) are pretty direct, so maybe I am looking too hard.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to the whole discography from the S/T to The Great Misdirect in a row in tribute of listening to Colors for the first time ever exactly 365 days ago :>

KEEPER OF THE STARS, I HOPE TO NEVER FIND, WE'RE JUST MORTAL SOULS, LEFT TO DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
B-Fuzz  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I should post this or not, since it's not talking about the music, but has anyone seen the "Making Of" DVD for TGM? It's pretty hilarious.

Well, I guess I'll add something, to make this post worth something. I don't know why everyone hates on Swim to the Moon. It's my 3d favorite song from them, personally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-Fuzz wrote:
I don't know if I should post this or not, since it's not talking about the music, but has anyone seen the "Making Of" DVD for TGM? It's pretty hilarious.

Well, I guess I'll add something, to make this post worth something. I don't know why everyone hates on Swim to the Moon. It's my 3d favorite song from them, personally.
I really want to see it. I need to buy the actual CD soon, and I can't find it online anywhere, not even on youtube

By the way, D,I,M gets too much hate. It's a prog masterpiece imo. Lyrics, cut into 3 sections of Disease, Injury, and Madness, etc etc etc and that drum section before the southernish sound is incredible. It's up there with the White Walls outro.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaron11 wrote:
B-Fuzz wrote:

I really want to see it. I need to buy the actual CD soon, and I can't find it online anywhere, not even on youtube

By the way, D,I,M gets too much hate. It's a prog masterpiece imo. Lyrics, cut into 3 sections of Disease, Injury, and Madness, etc etc etc and that drum section before the southernish sound is incredible. It's up there with the White Walls outro.

Completely agreed, I felt D,I,M was one of the best tracks on the album. It flowed perfectly in my mind between different styles and sounds and made for an extremely interesting track.

Although, I will say I'm still on the fence about Swim to the Moon, it's just yet to connect with me. And I was kinda disappointed seeing as Colors spoiled us with White Walls which is IMO one of the greatest outro tracks ever made.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Quakmybush  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim to the Moon is probably in my top 5 songs of all time I absolutely love the chorus, it gives me chills man.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 3 of 38

Jump to: