ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Hit detection and bullet registry in Modern Warfare 2...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powahouse  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Hit detection and bullet registry in Modern Warfare 2... Reply with quote

All of us Call of Duty-ers know that Cod4 had some ridiculous issues with hit detection problems, namely when it would take a second or two longer than it should before your bullets start registering when you're shooting someone. The hit detection in World at War was a bit better, but that game wasn't for me. Now, Modern Warfare 2 hasn't disappointed me much, and when it does, it seems like the problems are fixed SOMEWHAT quickly and efficiently.

BUT...Whether it be my random connection problems, or actual problems with hit detection in the game, it seems sometimes when I'm playing, randomly, as in several times per match, but not every time, I'll be hitting someone DIRECTLY and my bullets won't register right away.

It seems to happen most often when I'm using the ACR, which sucks because that is easily my favorite assault rifle. It doesn't usually happen with the M16 or FAMAS, but happens a lot with the ACR and sometimes with other guns. Like the UMP, MP5k, etc.

Is hit detection a common problem amongst players in this game, if so...is it more with some guns than others, or am I just insane...OR could it be my connection or something? (which, by the way is almost always 3 or 4 bars)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're the host, it won't be absolutely perfect. And it's not that your first bullet isn't registering, it's the fact that on your screen you've fired that first shot and have already fired the second and third while the enemy is JUST then getting hit by the first bullet. That's what makes those "use an entire (insert weapon type) magazine without missing" challenges so damned hard (except for the Sniping challenge), especially when the host blows. There are so many different factors that come into play (latency, packet loss, ping, locations, etc) that it could be a number of things.

Also, sniping hit detection in this game is atrocious. I was playing SnD earlier, watched my team snipe an enemy. On everyone's screen as we spectated, we saw him aim WAY behind the guy he killed, and the guy just fell down. Granted we didn't see what he saw, but damn, my whole team went "WTF?".

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
powahouse  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really weird. I don't seem to have too many problems sniping in it. And sometimes the hit detection seems absolutely perfect. But that could be that I'm hosting quite often or something. Also...it only pisses me off because the ACR is my favorite weapon and it seems to happen with the ACR way more than anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: P0WAH0USE
Pas26  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half of the time, I get killed AFTER I took cover behind a corner. I watch the killcam, and they shot behind me, at about chest level but over my foot who was still visible. I am running all the time so my foot is far from my body... but I still get killed.

If you ask me the hitboxes are glitchy as hell.

I was sniping someone from across the map in Afghan, using the thermal scope. I shot the guy in the head, nothing. He killed me with his red dot AR. From across the map. Yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
About half of the time, I get killed AFTER I took cover behind a corner. I watch the killcam, and they shot behind me, at about chest level but over my foot who was still visible. I am running all the time so my foot is far from my body... but I still get killed.

I was sniping someone from across the map in Afghan, using the thermal scope. I shot the guy in the head, nothing. He killed me with his red dot AR. From across the map. Yeah.

It's just the connection, watch the killcam and one their screen you aren't already round the corner. Also Thermal Scope isn't as accurate as the regular, so that might affect it too.

Personally I think the hit detection is great. There's hardly any "sponging" (taking a ridiculous amount of bullets and surviving) like there was on Cod4 & WaW, so many bullets could be taken and you could get 1 bulleted with MP40 straight away. It is frustrating when you think you're round the corner, but it's the same for them I guess...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monstrousity wrote:
Pas26 wrote:

It's just the connection, watch the killcam and one their screen you aren't already round the corner. Also Thermal Scope isn't as accurate as the regular, so that might affect it too.

Personally I think the hit detection is great. There's hardly any "sponging" (taking a ridiculous amount of bullets and surviving) like there was on Cod4 & WaW, so many bullets could be taken and you could get 1 bulleted with MP40 straight away. It is frustrating when you think you're round the corner, but it's the same for them I guess...

On the kill cam, they fire like 2 feets behind my back and kill me. It's not the bullet animation either, this one is completely behind the actual damage. They just fire the killing shot when I'm the other side of the corner... I guess I could try to get it on vid.

I know I have lag since in my game I'm really too far from the corner, but on the killcam...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen most people have the game winning kill with a ak-47 and if you look closely you can see how the bullet doesn't even hit the person being killed and it still kills them. Like, for example, someone starts shooting at you first, and then you start shooting but your gun is going(or leaping/jumping) up and still giving that person damage, so weird.

I really feel the only time the hit detection doesn't happen is when the host has bad connections and then everyone just stops moving and it goes back to the lobby. Other than that, the only game I know that has problems with hit detection even if the host isn't lagging is WaW.

Also, isn't this supposed to be in: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=96008&start=0

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
WyldeDime5150  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that pisses me off about the hit detection is that blatant headshots don't count. Example: Sniper sitting in a window on Wasteland, the only part you can see is his head, you shoot, get the kill, but no headshot?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not too frustrating when you realize that everybody has the same problem when playing, it just depends on who's hosting and stuff. As long as you're connection is decent enough, you'll get your go at having an advantage over everyone else when you host.
JCM08  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the hit detection is far better than on Call of Duty 4. Of course, connection is rarely (if ever) perfect. Of course you could complaing of the (largely vernacular) "Magic Bullets"; through the AK47, M16, FAMAS, I've even experienced it with many SMGs.

Snipers are very accurate, more so with regular scope than thermal. Of course all the recoil and sight time(s) are factors in it's accuracy. Then there's the discrepancy with the M16 when equipped with holographic sight (For those unaware) is more accurate than with Red Dot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lag Compensation, not hit detection. Playing CoD4 on PC has absolutely no problems with these so-called hit detection problems.

See, the problem is the host model that IW so loves.
You connect to the host.

Let's say you try to shoot a non-host enemy, you send instructions to the host to shoot for you. The average ping time on a host-based model is around 100 ms, so let's assume it takes 100 ms to create the bullets for you. Thing is, this can force sniping to be impossible and aiming against a person who is lagging heavily can be impossible. So the game compensates for lag by checking if the shots hit according to the server and only the server. Even though it says on your screen that you did shoot the enemy, the server might have registered that you grazed him and didn't actually hit him.
NimbleTerror  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is absolutely absurd how big of an effect your connection to the host has on your ability to play this game. Last few days I've been playing lots of Hardcore Search and Destroy with my friend. Many times every game, I'll be the last person alive and my friend will be watching my screen. I'll come across the other team, shoot half my clip, on my screen getting 2 or 3 hit markers and eventually the other guy will kill me. However, on my friend's screen I never even shot a single bullet. It really makes no sense at all.

Edit: Just now, I was camping in a corner staring at the bomb waiting for their last guy to come try and grab it. I see a guy come around the corner and die instantly. On the final kill cam, he was standing in front of me for 3 seconds but on my screen I barely even saw him before I died. I just don't get it.

Last edited by NimbleTerror on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
retop56  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game reminds of wanted, in the sense that bullets seem to curve around a wall. I know people will say that it's my connection, but it's happened when I'm on a 3 or 4 bar A LOT. Full explanation Also here are some other vids explaining hitboxes: 1, and 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play Killzone 2 and MW2 is so much better as far as that goes that I can hardly notice the lag unless people are 1 bar (in which case it gets really REALLY bad). In Killzone 2, you could shoot someone with a shotgun get killed by an AR, and then watch them die right after you without you firing another shot. Horrible.
powahouse  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimbleTerror wrote:
It is absolutely absurd how big of an effect your connection to the host has on your ability to play this game. Last few days I've been playing lots of Hardcore Search and Destroy with my friend. Many times every game, I'll be the last person alive and my friend will be watching my screen. I'll come across the other team, shoot half my clip, on my screen getting 2 or 3 hit markers and eventually the other guy will kill me. However, on my friend's screen I never even shot a single bullet. It really makes no sense at all.

Edit: Just now, I was camping in a corner staring at the bomb waiting for their last guy to come try and grab it. I see a guy come around the corner and die instantly. On the final kill cam, he was standing in front of me for 3 seconds but on my screen I barely even saw him before I died. I just don't get it.

Now this is where I just can't complain, something like THAT has not once happened to me while playing this game. My connection is almost always great/perfect so I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: