ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SHMA: Scorehero Music Awards! Best of the Decade!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: SHMA: Scorehero Music Awards! Best of the Decade! Reply with quote

Well it’s a new decade, and like all decades, there is one thing it is most remembered for, it’s music. So what does SH think is the best of the passing decade? So in a voting manner, we will decide just that. The categories are:

Best Metal act: (please, for the love of god, no elitism on genre naming.... Since not everyone here is a genius on genre labeling, were going to use it loosely. Nu-metal, hard rock, hardcore, and metalcore are going to be included as metal)

Best rock act:

Best Alternative act:
Silversun Pickups

Best Punk act:

Best progressive rock/metal act:

Best Alternative album:
Bloc Party - Slient Alarm

Best Metal album:
The Blackening - Machine Head

Best Death Metal album:

Best rock album:

Best punk album:

Best progressive rock/metal album:
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium

Best rap/hip-hop act:

Best rap/hip-hop album:

Best pop act:
Lady Gaga

Best pop album:

Best country act:
Brad Paisley

Best country album:

Best Dance act:

Best Dance album:

Best comeback:
Alice in Chains

Best male artist:

Best female artist:
Lady Gaga

Best solo act:
Buckethead

Best indie artist:

Best One-hit wonder:

Best debut:
Them Crooked Vultures- Them Crooked Vultures

Most influential artist:
Radiohead

Best live album:

Best moment in music:

Saddest moment in music:
Death of Chuck Schuldiner
Death of George Harrison
Death of Dimebag Darrel
Death of Michael Jackson

Album of the 00’s:

Band of the 00’s:

Artist of the 00’s:

SH's #1 song of the 00’s (This one doesn’t necessarily mean the best, but as what captures the spirit of the 00’s the most):

It will work sort of like the album suggestion thread as individuals nominate albums/artists, with one exception, you must explain why and convince others of why it deserves the title. Both to provoke discussion and so we don’t have 100 people voting on an album for no reason. If 3 or more people (happy?) support the idea it will be nominated, after all catoagories have been filled people will cast their votes for the categories they want.

So, think among yourselves what albums and artists have contributed to the culture of the 00’s? Remember a title like this is quite an honor, so make it a good nominee!
Here is a template of how a nomination should be
For best ____ act: *band* Brief explanation
For best ____ album: album – band Brief explanation

Last edited by ganondorf901 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
Parama  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best Progressive Rock/Metal album: The Perfect Element I - Pain of Salvation
This album... is perfect. Nearly every song is amazing, and none of them are bad. The title track along with Her Voices and Idioglossia are among my favorite songs of all time.

For best Alternative album: Vhiessu - Thrice
It's impossible to get tired of this album. Every song is great, and each song is unique in its own way. There's a little bit for everybody on this album - heavy songs like Hold Fast Hope, mellow/electronic songs like Atlantic, epic songs like Red Sky, etc. There's not much to criticize here.

For best debut album: De-Loused In The Comatorium - The Mars Volta
The debut by prog rock band The Mars Volta is definitely their best work. There's loads of energy, great musician ship, and diverse songwriting, ranging from mellow songs like Televators to incredibly manic songs like Take The Veil. The concept is present but not understanding it won't hurt your appreciation of the album. And well, it's just a really cool album in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are we defining 'Act' vs. 'Album'?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a dick or anything, but expert scientists say the new decade will only start at 2011, and that we celebrated the new Millenium one year too soon!

/me goes psychobilly off-topic

I only bought one album for myself (well, my brother had the idea to buy it). So:
Best rap/hip-hop album:
Da Weasel - Re-Definições

It's really good if you like rap, even just a tiny bit (I liked rap a lot at the time) and it's pretty addictive. And this came from a metalhead.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
How are we defining 'Act' vs. 'Album'?

By "act" I mean band/artist/etc. And of course album is an album. A band can have one amazing album that deserves that title, but doesnt deserve act because that was like thier only good album. So say I would nominate Slipknot for best metal act, while nominating Behemoth's "Demigod" for best album.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PREFACE:Great thread idea... I'll nominate the ones I can or feel I have enough knowledge too. (I can tell you right now BtBaM I think will win most of these). I did all of these based on the decade too. They may, or may not, be my favorites of all time. I'm also assuming you can nominate a band, artist, song, etc... for more than one category since that's how award shows typically work.

Best Metal act: Wintersun - Complex instrumentals, powerful lyrics, combinations of genres (folk, power, melodic black, melodic death, progressive metal) and overall awesomeness.

Best rock act: The Antlers - (Indie rock / Post-rock). Yeah, they're my favorite band, but they've done a lot for music. They've created the greatest concept album of the decade along with two other full length albums and 2 EPs, all almost as good as their masterpiece.

Best Alternative act: Animal Collective. - AC is only getting better, with the realease of Merriweather Post Pavilion at the beginning of 2009 proving it. Their song, "My Girls" is one of my favorites ever and voted Pitchfork's best of the year. The ambient sounds and musical genius is stunning.

Best Alternative album: Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective - As described above it's pure genius. I was hooked after one listen through. It's also rated as Pitchfork's #1 album of 2009, and somewhere in their top 10 of the decade.

Best Metal album: Wintersun - Wintersun - "merges the hyper-fast precision of Yngwie Malmsteen-like guitar playing (witness the speedy "Beyond the Dark Sun") with the melodic sensibilities of post-Helloween power metal (see the more diverse "Winter Madness") and a homegrown passion for folk-styled songwriting descended straight from trailblazing compatriots Amorphis." "flirts with doom via its slow-creeping riffs" "alternates clean and rough vocals with a jaw-dropping display of pyrotechnic guitar heroics" "a stunning (if quite morbid) black metal tour de force in terms of both words and musical attack." "a recommended release for lovers of relatively accessible extreme metal."- All Music

Best Death Metal album: Blackwater Park - Opeth - Yeah, they're progressive death metal. "I can's tell you how difficult it is for me to rate this at all. By doing so, I'm implying that Blackwater Park, and indeed all of Opeth's works, can be somehow compared with any other album by any other band. That is simply not true. I have given perfect 10's to bands that don's even register on the scale when compared to Opeth. The very fact that I'm pretending to be worthy enough to even discuss Opeth's music is an unforgivable sin. No amount of words in this, or any other, language can begin to describe the tapestry of emotions on this, or any of their albums. Opeth's creations transcend not only metal, but art itself. This is the language of the soul."

Best rock album: Hospice - The Antlers. It's filled with emotional depth while the music suits the tone perfectly. It's pure genius. It is my favorite concept album ever, and (IMO) the best of our decade. "The album has generated very positive reviews. Pitchfork Media endorsed the re-release of Hospice with their coveted "Best New Music" stamp. At the end of the year, the same publication named it the 37th best album of 2009, praising its "power to emotionally destroy listeners." Fan review sites like Rate Your Music and Amazon MP3 have placed the album in its list of Top 10 Albums of 2009. Popular music blog 20 Watts gave it a rating of 18/20 Watts and praised the album's "realism and its sadness, found in its most abrasive lyrics and most expressive instrumental segments." NPR Music placed the album in the #1 position for their Top 10 of 2009 list."

Best progressive rock/metal album: Wintersun - Wintersun - see reasons above.

Best rap/hip-hop act: Aesop Rock - My main reason is that his lyrics aren't shit. "Bavitz's lyrics are generally seen as complex and abstract. Critics state that the use of words can be so detailed that it becomes difficult to determine their originally intended meaning. The interpretation is highly subjective, because the messages conveyed are not always clearly defined. The lyrics are sometimes inspired by events which have occurred in Bavitz's personal life."

Best rap/hip-hop album: None Shall Pass - Aesop Rock - Aesop in all his glory. "Aesop Rock's most distinguishable characteristic, his relentless verbosity, shows no signs of slowing-- for the mainstream, the uninitiated, or even fans who couldn't keep up with Bazooka Tooth. If anything, his lyrics are harder to follow now, and even with the 80-page lyric booklet from his last EP or the transcription of "Citronella" on his myspace, having the words spelled out for you doesn't mean it's going to be easy. When you've got a delivery this dense, all that's left for the confused or the impatient is the tracks, and the Definitive Jux roster has often (if not always) served particular tastes on that front. Luckily, Aesop Rock's latest album, None Shall Pass, is a diverse collection of beats-- from his classical-sampling comfort zone courtesy of the invaluable Blockhead, to looser more traditional hip-hop, to more than a few things we haven't heard him try before. None Shall Pass even throws in some laid-back rock riffs, some futuristic funk, a generous dash of psychedelia, and, of course, Aes' favorite ingredient: paranoia."

Best pop act: Animal Collective - They've defined their new albums as pop. I'm just nominating them for more than one category.

Best pop album: Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective - Again, they defined it as pop. Just re-nominating.

Best comeback: If only Atheist's new album came out this decade my vote would probably go there. I got nothing here.

Best male artist: Peter Silberman - The Antlers frontman, need I say more?

Best female artist: Jamie Smith - of The XX. One of the best new albums of the year, she contributes a lot to the success of the band. The combination of male an female vocals make them unique, while her mixing of the album is genius.

Best solo act: Buckethead - Need I say more?

Best indie artist: The Antlers - I can nominate for more than one category, right? See above descriptions for reasons.

Best One-hit wonder: of the decade? No clue.

Best debut: The Antlers

Most influential artist: Radiohead - I like Radiohead decently well, but I must admit I love when they've done to music. They paved the way for indie rock bands to have success and revamped the way music can be looked at. Very influential over the decade.

Best live album: Dunno.

Best moment in music: Dunno

God I hope MJ's death doesn't win this...
Saddest moment in music: Dimebag Darrell

Album of the 00’s: Hopsice - The Antlers

Band of the 00’s: The Antlers

Artist of the 00’s: Peter Silberman

Lol @ me using three The Antlers related best of 00s.

captures the spirt of 00s you say?
SH's #1 song of the 00’s (This one is doesn’t necessarily mean the best, but as what captures the spirit of the 00’s the most): Conform - Sepultura - That about sums up our decade. Between Twilight, crocs, rainbows, Uggs, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Religion and everything inbetween.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at Liberty to answer most of these questions, as I am not a fan of almost everything released in the previous decade.

However...

I think the saddest moment in music of the decade is the death of George Harrison in 2001

Best Comeback would have to Be Death Magnetic from Metallica

Best solo act is Buckethead, saw him Live, amazing.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
machchunk  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are there no dance categories?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:

Dance, electronica and etc. will be under pop for the sake of simplicity. Techno and Industrial will be Alternative.

The saddest moment is, well, gonna be a hard one. With MJ, Dimebag, George Harrison, Chuck Schuldiner, and plenty others, this is gonna be a thoughie.

And I'm just gonna go ahead and put buckethead in because, well.....
machchunk  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
machchunk wrote:

Dance, electronica and etc. will be under pop for the sake of simplicity.

No, they're completely different styles that attract different audiences. It makes no sense to act like they can be called the same. The album I would nominate under dance (LCD Soundsystem) is definitely not a pop album. And if you say the pop category is also the electronica category, I'm sure you will get other nominations that are even father from pop on the style spectrum, like Cross, Geogaddi, and Since I Left You.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
blitzbob  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTBAM's Colors or The Great Misdirect for prog metal, cliched I know but they're both equally awesome.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
ganondorf901 wrote:
machchunk wrote:

Dance, electronica and etc. will be under pop for the sake of simplicity.

No, they're completely different styles that attract different audiences. It makes no sense to act like they can be called the same. The album I would nominate under dance (LCD Soundsystem) is definitely not a pop album. And if you say the pop category is also the electronica category, I'm sure you will get other nominations that are even father from pop on the style spectrum, like Cross, Geogaddi, and Since I Left You.

I REALLY dont want to make 10000x different catogories for every genre, but fine, you win. Happy? God I knew this would happen....
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indie artist: Pomplamoose - From what I could see the two are (a cute couple) musically artistic. Covering songs from Michael Jackson's Beat It to Simon & Garfunkel's Mrs. Robinson, this band seems to enjoy giving some twists on older songs as well as create their own.

Dance act: Designer Drugs or Justice - Designer Drugs: This duo has mixes which they call a DATAMIX. There's 7. Each one uses pretty known and popular songs and mixes them flawlessly. Their original stuff is pretty good too.
Justice: This duo has created one of my favorite dance album's of the year (that being Cross) with some of the best original material I've heard in a while. As well as create some ridiculous remixes. And they introduced me to Uffie! Check her out if you like rap, she has a pretty nice flow.

Best Live Album: Daft Punk's Alive 2007 - Any Daft Punk fan would loooooove this album. It gives damn near studio quality for each song mix, and the mixes are deliciously well done. Mixing some unlikely songs like Too Long and Steam Machine creating some of my favorite songs created by the duo. It's a crazy good album and I suggest any fan to check it out.

Best Female artist: Karen O or Uffie - Karen O: Oh my god, besides my super huge crush on this woman, she's twistedly artistic. Her vocal style is relaxing yet intimidating. Her solo(ish) work (as Karen O & the Kids) is pretty mellow, but overall very well done.
Uffie: Okay, so she's sort of newish. Debuting at '05 with the track Uffie & Me, she's got a different sort of style. It's not bratty, but it's not soft at all, it's just Uffie. She's got a real smooth flow that seems to roll off the tongue and gets stuck in your head.
munkyzero  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a best progressive rock/metal album category shouldn't there be a category for best progressive rock/metal act? If you'd make that, my vote is An Endless Sporadic.

I don't know whether the Silversun Pickups are considered alternative or indie, but whichever they are, they're my vote for best act.

I don't listen to a ton of different music, but those are the best of what I know. ¯\(°_o)/¯
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
I REALLY dont want to make 10000x different catogories for every genre, but fine, you win. Happy? God I knew this would happen....

If you knew it was going to happen then why didn't you do something to prevent it?

As for best Electronica album, Quantic - The 5th Exotic. Front to back it is a masterpiece with no two songs sounding too much the same.

That's the only category I'm absolutely certain of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: