Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romanczuk  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend told me there was some KISS fangroup that has been trying really hard to get KISS inducted for years and they went apeshit when ABBA got inducted in their first year of eligibility.
I just lol'd. This list has become too arbitrary as it aged. Maybe if they kept it REALLY exclusive it would have some relevance, but you can't go around revoking people's placement in a hall of fame. Except for that one baseball player I don't remember.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Adventurejimbob  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean2490 wrote:

The unfortunate truth: Being in a guitar hero/rock band game is not a credential that gets you into the rock and roll hall of fame.

What surprises me even more is that there are some people here who have the tenacity to question the rock and roll hall of fame's judgment, without knowing who these bands even are

A few things to say about this quote:
First, it's not because Rush is in Guitar Hero/Rock Band that they deserve to be in. Rush are ranked fourth all-time with most consecutive gold or platinum records worldwide. They've sold 25 million albums in the U.S., and another 15 million outside of the U.S. They have 24 gold records, 14 platinum, and 3-multiplatinum records. They are an influence to many alternative rock bands today. Geddy Lee is one of the greatest bassists I've seen, and Neil Peart is unquestionably in the top ten when it comes to drummers. Alex Lifeson is also an underrated guitarist. Rush, as a whole, wrote brilliant music with complex time signatures and moving instrumentation, and Neil's lyrics, unlike a lot of rock lyrics, are intelligent and well-thought-out.

Secondly, ScoreHero's members represent those who are a little more knowledgeable about music than the average Joe. If there are a lot of people here who are not familiar with the work of someone going into the Hall of Fame, then that says something. Also, how could anyone call ABBA, or any of those other bands/artists that Sixen listed (all of whom I am familiar with) be called rock and roll? For goodness sake, Michael Jackson was known as the King of POP. That's right, POP, not rock. I do believe there are a few hip-hop acts in the ROCK and ROLL Hall of Fame as well. It ticks me off that they put in pop and hip-hop acts over a brilliant and influential rock band like Rush, or like Sonic Youth, or Deep Purple, or any of those other bands who were snubbed so that way they could put in this garbage.

Read what the Sex Pistols said about the Hall of Fame. I agree with them.
Prong1978  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only thing I know of the Hollies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP94PlEtsEQ

I've wanted this ong for Rock Band/Guitar Hero just because I want to play that intro.

Disagreements regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are no different than in any other hall of fame for the most part.
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prong1978 wrote:

I've wanted this ong for Rock Band/Guitar Hero just because I want to play that intro.

Disagreements regarding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are no different than in any other hall of fame for the most part.

Oh wow! I love that song...

I should just go kill myself, I always assumed that was a CCR song -_-

cdylan13  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
People are greatly exaggerating Rush's legacy in this thread. And stop saying that the HoF hates prog, Rush isn't even a prog band. (they had a couple prog albums, but that does not make them prog. If you've actually listened to prog you'd understand why I say this)

You are greatly overestimating the quality of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Also, Rush is Prog, don't be a music snob.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
nflnba88  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
People are greatly exaggerating Rush's legacy in this thread. And stop saying that the HoF hates prog, Rush isn't even a prog band. (they had a couple prog albums, but that does not make them prog. If you've actually listened to prog you'd understand why I say this)

I'm pretty speechless after reading some of the more ignorant sentences I've ever read. First off, how can you deny Rush's legacy? Their longevity as a band is pretty much unmatched (36 years and counting, even after Neil Peart's personal tragedies), and, as Adventurejimbob said, they are ranked 4th all time in number of consecutive gold or platinum records.

In response to your second comment, Rush is most definitely a prog rock band. Apparently you aren't aware that the definition of a prog rock band is a band that pushes rock's technical and compositional boundaries. If you don't think that Rush raised the bar from a lyrical, musicianly, and technical standpoint, I don't know what you're smoking. But don't believe me, here's Kirk Hammet, Metallica guitarist and R&RHoF member, saying the exact same thing (at 11:06).

Dude, point is, Rush deserves the recognition on every level. Even if Rush does get in at some point, I still don't think I'll have any respect for those 'rock experts'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I deny their legacy? I merely claimed it was not as great such that it is absolute blasphemy that they are not in. Anyways, you're support for their legacy was not very relevant. Longevity and sales are not what I had in mind when I was talking about legacy. Either way, do not worry, I advocate Rush being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Also, please, do not talk to me about musical ignorance, I know a lot more about music than you probably think I do right now.

As for prog, Rush made a couple concept/odd-time signature albums, that does not make them a prog band. This is a very common misconception. Rush is progressive in some of their albums, but not in such a way that they can be identified as a prog band. What comes in mind when I think of prog bands are Krautrock, Canterbury Scene bands, rock-oriented fusion bands, and the experimental end of what most identify as prog. For example:

King Crimson
Brand X
Can
Triumvirat
Gong

I guess it does not matter, it's simply a label and is a more liberal term than I originally implied, my point was that in a way Rush is to prog experts as Metallica is to thrash fanatics (in terms of sound).

PS: I do not think Rush raised the bar from a lyrical or technical standpoint, at all. If you had heard any fusion or most forms of prog you'd understand why I say this.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
sean2490  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurejimbob wrote:

A few things to say about this quote:
First, it's not because Rush is in Guitar Hero/Rock Band that they deserve to be in. Rush are ranked fourth all-time with most consecutive gold or platinum records worldwide. They've sold 25 million albums in the U.S., and another 15 million outside of the U.S. They have 24 gold records, 14 platinum, and 3-multiplatinum records. They are an influence to many alternative rock bands today. Geddy Lee is one of the greatest bassists I've seen, and Neil Peart is unquestionably in the top ten when it comes to drummers. Alex Lifeson is also an underrated guitarist. Rush, as a whole, wrote brilliant music with complex time signatures and moving instrumentation, and Neil's lyrics, unlike a lot of rock lyrics, are intelligent and well-thought-out.

You don't have to go into intense lecture mode, I know about rush already. Truth is, there are bands that do what they do, way better than they do it. I'm not trying to say that they shouldn't be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, just saying that it's not some great travesty that they aren't in it already.

Adventurejimbob wrote:

Secondly, ScoreHero's members represent those who are a little more knowledgeable about music than the average Joe. If there are a lot of people here who are not familiar with the work of someone going into the Hall of Fame, then that says something.

Heh, maybe knowledgeable about metal-core and dreamtheater.

If there are people here who are familiar with Rush and not with Genesis, that's really saying something (considering Genesis released TWO of the most definitive prog rock albums from the 70's).

Again, this forum is very tunnel-sighted. I mentioned that part about guitar hero because it seems that's the only source of music for people around here (not necessarily a bad thing, but again, tunnel-sighted).

Also, anyone who wants to maybe learn a little more about prog rock, look here. Note that Rush is completely unlike any of the bands mentioned there, and Rush only released their better albums during the decline of prog rock. They may have progressive tendencies, but they're about as much prog rock as nu-metal is metal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blehgopie wrote:
Prong1978 wrote:

Oh wow! I love that song...

I should just go kill myself, I always assumed that was a CCR song -_-

It's plainly obvious that Fogerty wasn't singing :P

Although this reminds of when I thought Horse With No Name was by Neil Young: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8uHVVq10B8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the fighting should stop fighting. Music is supposed to bring people together, not cause fights (mostly! ).

Anyways, whether something is pop or rock is the opinion of the person listening to it (although there are unwritten figurative lines in the sand).
For example, Michael Jackson was a talented person who was just as good, if not BETTER than some of the people that was in the Hall of Fame before him (there is a concert version of "Rock With You" on the internet where he holds the last note almost as long as Rob Halford of Judas Priest does on Painkiller - plain f**king amazing! )

Another example is Madonna, same thing with the talent. But she pushed boundaries - read about the Pepsi/Like A Prayer incident or watch the documentary Truth or Dare. There is one part of the documentary where she almost gets arrested for her sexually explicit moves BEFORE getting on stage. What happened on stage was pretty much NC-17 rated, so I will let you watch it to find out. But the point is that she pushed limits and crossed lines that most (NOT ALL) musicians don't dare to push over.

I personally think Rush deserves a position, but we cannot always control what other people think.

Sorry for the length, but quickly:

Genesis - After Peter Gabriel's (yes he was the frontman for Genesis in the early 70s!) departure the music got good. Especially Follow You, Follow Me and up ! Plus Phil Collins is a true legendary solo musician with great songs!

The Hollies - Known for Bus Stop and The Air That I Breathe, included Graham Nash (of future Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young fame) on guitar and vocals (who left in 1968 after the band wanted to record a whole album's worth of Bob Dylan covers).

ABBA - One word - meh!

Jimmy Cliff - WTF is Jimmy Cliff?!?!

That's my two cents, now to listen to Genesis's Turn It On Again.
AGwaG  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerman7t wrote:

Jimmy Cliff - WTF is Jimmy Cliff?!?!

My initial reaction, so i youtubed him, and lolled at my stupidity. I guarantee you know his music.
case and point #1 , #2 , #3 lol , 4 yay , and 5.

Jimmy Cliff is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powerman7t wrote:

Genesis - After Peter Gabriel's (yes he was the frontman for Genesis in the early 70s!) departure the music got good. Especially Follow You, Follow Me and up ! Plus Phil Collins is a true legendary solo musician with great songs!

ABBA - One word - meh!

Really? I loved Peter Gabriel era Genesis. It just had such an epic and unique sound to it. That and Phil Collins just rubs against me in every way shape and form and found him way too poppy.

And how the hell is ABBA even being inducted? Because they reached such a level of cheesiness that it astounded everyone? (Well ok, Nitro outdid them in terms of cheesiness, but still).
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Necromac  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I saw ABBA my face met my palm...

I don't care how Influential/innovative/whatever other characteristics are used to judge this, how can ABBA be considered Rock n Roll?

(And before pointing me back at the list of pop artists already in; previous mistakes don't excuse future ones)

<--Thank You karatechess
I ed Jordan... WOOOOOOT, Thanks to lun471k for the kick-ass avitar
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone watches that Metal show. It is on VH1 Classic at night, also available online. But in their first season, Rush was a guest, and Geddy and Alex talked about their feelings towards the rock and roll hall of fame (shame)

http://www.vh1classic.com/view/playlist/1601992/329483/That_Metal_Show_Episode_7_Rush/That_Metal_Show_Episode_7_Part_1/index.jhtml

Basically, they say that if they get inducted, great! If not, whatever.

It is clear, that those who know what they are talking about know that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has become a complete joke and should not be taken seriously. People who know music, know Rush is a very talented band, and in my opinion that should be enough. Rush does not need some joke of a list to say they are a great band in order to be a great band.

Same goes with Maiden, Priest, Motorhead, Deep Purple, UFO. Anyone who knows there stuff, atleast know they are all very talented individuals, and do not need the Rock and Roll hall of fame to say they are great bands.

If you do like classic rock and heavy Metal I would recommend watching That Metal Show. All current episodes are on VH1classic.com. And plenty of Eddie Trunk ranting about the Rock and roll hall of shame and its lack of Kiss, Maiden, Preist and Rush.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
powerman7t  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After Peter Gabriel's (yes he was the frontman for Genesis in the early 70s!) departure the music got good.

I miscontrued my words, I meant that I preferred the Phil Collins era. I apologize - that's what I get for being tired and ranting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: