ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar and drum learning?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaverix  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Guitar and drum learning? Reply with quote

So I've come a bit of the way into playing my electric guitar and wondering if there are an great to difficult songs for learning? Also I plan to get a small electric drum kit from Wal-MArt this week hopefully, it's one of those Fuel 5 pad drum sets with a pedal, any songs I should learn on a small electronic drum set like that? Thanks for showing any and all songs I should learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For guitar, I would learn scales and chords first. I learned alot of random riffs when I first got a guitar, and that hindered my learning alot because I was terrible at chord transitions and simple scales. If you think that the chords and scales are boring, just learn some riffs of your favorite songs, but remember that you have to eventually learn those chords.

As far as drumming goes, you can't get much more simple than AC/DC. I would start out with some of their songs first and build your way up in difficulty. After about a month you should have the basics down and can just jam to some of your favorite songs. However, I do recommend a teacher if you are taking drums seriously. There are just so many techniques you need to perfect to master the basics, and if you teach yourself, you could screw up your drumming.

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
slaverix  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyewin8 wrote:
For guitar, I would learn scales and chords first. I learned alot of random riffs when I first got a guitar, and that hindered my learning alot because I was terrible at chord transitions and simple scales. If you think that the chords and scales are boring, just learn some riffs of your favorite songs, but remember that you have to eventually learn those chords.

I've been playing guitar for two years actually, I'm just wondering if there's a confusing riff or solos I could learn at this point that would help me improve at it?
Quote:
As far as drumming goes, you can't get much more simple than AC/DC. I would start out with some of their songs first and build your way up in difficulty. After about a month you should have the basics down and can just jam to some of your favorite songs. However, I do recommend a teacher if you are taking drums seriously. There are just so many techniques you need to perfect to master the basics, and if you teach yourself, you could screw up your drumming.

Well that seems helpful, I listen to that band and some underground bands that sound simple but I guess AC/DC has some simple drumming for songs. Might take me a while to learn Let there be rock. Would MoneyTalk or Whole lotta Rosie be somewhere to start?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaverix wrote:
eyewin8 wrote:

I've been playing guitar for two years actually, I'm just wondering if there's a confusing riff or solos I could learn at this point that would help me improve at it?
Quote:

Well that seems helpful, I listen to that band and some underground bands that sound simple but I guess AC/DC has some simple drumming for songs. Might take me a while to learn Let there be rock. Would MoneyTalk or Whole lotta Rosie be somewhere to start?

Since you've been playing guitar for a while I would just play whatever you think sounds fun. That's what I've been doing lately. Right now I'm learning Tornado of Souls. I'd recommend that if you like Megadeth at all.

To me, every AC/DC song has that simple drum beat, so you could loop an album and learn the basics of drums All 3 of those are good choices, but Let There Be Rock is pretty fast, so I would stick to a more moderate tempo song

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
sean2490  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaverix wrote:

I'm just wondering if there's a confusing riff or solos I could learn at this point that would help me improve at it?

I've been playing guitar a similar duration as you, and I just had a lot of fun learning YYZ by Rush. It's not really tricky or anything, but really fun to play. A good song to work on technique (as guaranteed with Alex Lifeson).

Other than that quick recommendation, you should really just play what you think sounds good. It's hard for anyone to recommend anything to you without knowing your musical taste.

If you're just looking to improve quickly, you gotta play scales I'm afraid. It's a good exercise to sit with an unplugged guitar in front of the TV and just play the same 4-6 note sequence over and over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For guitar, I recommend learning chords and scales first. And not just the basic major chords and like the pentatonic scale. Here's a great site containing all the chords you can possibly play on a guitar, and here are scales. If you don't mind putting in the effort it takes, it's good to learn reading notes and sheet-music. It makes it easier to learn new songs. Also, don't just play your favourite genre. Being good at alot of different types of music is better than being god-like at one.

For drums, I don't really have any advice for you except practice. Alot. But AC/DC or some slow-ish Metallica songs is probably a good place to start if you want to play along with music. Watch alot of drummers, study their styles. Technique is also much more important than one might think. Practicing your paradiddles will make your playing more fluent and interesting.

I'm not really great on giving advice, but I hope this helps you in some way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: