SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Indie Music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glock wrote:
I can't believe Elliot Smith hasn't been mentioned yet. Easily one of the best songwriters ever.

>implying Elliott Smith is indie

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways, MGMT still is the best imo. Over 1,200 plays and they have 1 album and 2 EPs that equal to like 5 songs D:
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaron11 wrote:
>implying Elliott Smith is indie

Anyways, MGMT still is the best imo

How do you call Elliot Smith on having been signed to Virgin and then name a band that is signed to Sony in the same post

Another band
LCD Soundsystem: Longform dance-rock. For me, they (James Murphy really) made two of the best albums last decade and two of my favorite albums of all time. If you haven't heard this stuff, get the s/t first; it's the more accessible of the two and it has everything he recorded to that point, totaling 16 tracks and nearly 2 hours of music.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently discovered Black Lips (thanks to CurrentTV), but I'm not sure they'd count under indie. I've never heard anyone around anywhere really speak of them, but they are pretty good. Jack Conte? Nataly Dawn? Pomplamoose? :P This is fun.
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Indie Music Reply with quote

Pared down and unlocked now.

"Indie" is an ambiguous term, and it's fine if you guys want to discuss how you define the term as you make recommendations, but there's no reason to criticize or make fun of someone who is operating under a different definition than you are. If this thread is going to stay open, there needs to be a little more leniency given to people's definitions of the genre.

Also, I don't see any reason to criticize how people discover their music. There's a thread on here about music-finding sites -- take that kind of discussion there if you must, but it needs to stay respectful.

Let's give this one more try, shall we?

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you really took the time to rip this thread apart. At least you edited posts that had content instead of deleting them entirely like some mods do.

Anyway more music EEUUUHHHHHHH *sweats*

I'm sure you've all heard of Lemon Demon, but IMO this is his only listenable album:
http://www.last.fm/music/Lemon+Demon/Dinosaurchestra

For those of you who haven't heard of him, Neil Cicieraga is one of the greatest men of all-time and has done everything. He unfortunately doesn't write much music anymore except for special occasions, like SA forum threads, but there was a big craze about him when he did make music.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened through Bloc Party's Silent Alarm... like 5 times. It's great. Helicopter, from Guitar Hero 3, is what turned me onto them, and all the other tracks are just as excellent. I think my favorite would have to be track 1, Like Eating Glass. Very unique style of guitar, and the vocals are odd, but they don't turn me off. I'd highly recommend giving the album a listen through.

Listened to Grizzly Bears Veckatimest today. I especially loved Foreground, very emotion grabbing. I'll definitely be listening to that album some more.

Literally just finished listening to ITAOTS again, it's better than I remembered. I'll probably listen to that more than I originally thought I would too.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
I'm sure you've all heard of Lemon Demon, but IMO this is his only listenable album:
http://www.last.fm/music/Lemon+Demon/Dinosaurchestra

For those of you who haven't heard of him, Neil Cicieraga is one of the greatest men of all-time and has done everything. He unfortunately doesn't write much music anymore except for special occasions, like SA forum threads, but there was a big craze about him when he did make music.

I recently rediscovered The Ultimate Showdown animation and found a few free downloads on his site as a result. Good fuckin' times.

One of my favourite musicians released a new album this week. He is David Ford, the album is 'Let The Hard Times Roll', and it's categorically the best album I'm going to hear all year. It's out on UK iTunes at a ridiculous bargain price, with US iTunes apparently to follow soon. If you're really inclined, the CD version is available for purchase wherever you live. Hear some of it on his Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/davidford

I'm going to see him live at a tiny venue in a couple of weeks, it's gonna be pretty special.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: