ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Alternative Ambient Indie Neo Prog-Punk (or Why Genres Suck)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redlar  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Ambient Indie Neo Prog-Punk (or Why Genres S Reply with quote

munkyzero wrote:

"3. Cakecore"

Damn, if only that was real. <_<

That actually made me laugh out loud at my keyboard.

Npeaen wrote:
See! There is a benefit to wasting away far too much time on fake plastic guitars!

More... plastic guitars...
Shadowstep  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever someone asks me what kind of music I'm in to I usually just use musical umbrellas. Like "Mostly Extreme and Progressive Metal". Umbrellas seem to be really useful in conversation (<--- Lolwut, taking that sentence out of context would be silly).

I really see no harm in how robust and diverse the selection of genres has become. The biggest problem, Elitism, can be very easily ignored.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
* Twangcore - alternate term for alternative country

Best genre ever, tbh.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The etymology from the Century Dictionary for gere reads as follows:

Quote:
French, kind, genus. mode, style, etc.; particularly in the arts, with a distinct epithet; from Latin genus (gener-), kind: see genus and gender, n.

From that, I drew up two reasons as to why so many genres exist:

1. Genres are used to keep from improper comparison, based off the belief that two musicians cannot be properly judged in conjunction with the other, even if their principal instrument is the same, given that their selected style of music is considered to be, on some level, different. In short, genres (ideally) keep people from comparing Pat O'Brien and Paul Waggoner and Joe Pass. Certainly a valid concern, given the prodigious amount of music available today from around the world.

2. Genres, again when used properly, should give some insight into the origin of a certain band's sound. There is no uniform formula for this, but generally the name of a genre should give someone a good idea of both what that type of music sounds like and what that sound is derived from, in case someone tends to favor a particular aspect of a band's sound.

Most of the time, though, people don't really care about these things when they drone on and on about that experimental, adult-contemporary neo-nu-punkcore band they heard at that downtown Chicago open mike. A lot of the time they just want to sound like they know some things about music that you don't.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Ambient Indie Neo Prog-Punk (or Why Genres S Reply with quote

munkyzero wrote:
Bmad965 wrote:

Also I definitely agree that there are far too many genres out there.

"3. Cakecore"

Damn, if only that was real. <_<

From now on, my music will be called cakecore. Assuming I ever get around to recording anything else. I like cake. I was probably eating cake at the time of recording. It seems appropriate.

...actually, I know a guy who was in a band called The Cakes, he might describe his music as such.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Most of bands fit exclusively into one genre.

Crap.

Sixen wrote:
I think unless its after the word "hard", core should never be used in genre names.

I'm now just waiting for "applecore" and "corecore".
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see the harm in categorizing music by its sonic qualities. Seems useful to me. Helps me find music I'm likely to like, and ignore music I'm likely to despise.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

005 wrote:
I don't really see the harm in categorizing music by its sonic qualities. Seems useful to me. Helps me find music I'm likely to like, and ignore music I'm likely to despise.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Also, taking a music class right now. This was a paragraph about Genre in my last lesson. Maybe it's interesting and relevant?

Genre

The term genre derives from the Latin genus, a word familiar to students of Biology as a type within a system of classification. Types of music are often grouped together according to stylistic, contextual, and historical similarities. Recording companies, for example, will use familiarity with a particular tradition to market new artists by placing them within a pre-existing category. Rock, hip-hop, country, soul, jazz, classical etc. are genres. Wedding and funeral songs are genres defined by occasion. Salsa, calypso, and reggae are genres based upon both place of origin and dance beat. Often identification with a particular genre is related to and marks class or regional divisions within a society: in America Bluegrass is associated with the rural Appalachian Mountains region while hip hop is considered an urban genre. In Trinidad, among the descendants of East Indian indentured laborers, two types of wedding songs are performed by women at weddings: byah ke git are old songs with roots in the ancestral home of North India, while lachari are modern topical songs, often comical and with sexual innuendos. Popular songs in China are called tongsu. These popular entertainments are composed and recorded by government-employed artists and receive government support and approval. Chinese rock songs, based on Western forms, often have subversive lyrics and independent associations. Rock musicians in China are not supported by the state and are marginalized by the lack of radio play and popular venues in which to perform.
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

005 wrote:

So you're effectively restricting your musical taste based on not going outside the comfort zone certain genres have created for you? Not whether not it sounds good to you, but rather not giving it a chance simply because it's in a different genre? As the OP said, genres are essentially meaningless. If you like it, you decide what kind of music you want to call it, not wikipedia or allmusic.

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:
So you're effectively restricting your musical taste based on not going outside the comfort zone certain genres have created for you? Not whether not it sounds good to you, but rather not giving it a chance simply because it's in a different genre?

It's not that I don't give new styles a chance, but life is short, and there's only so much time I devote to listening to music (and only so much money, for that matter). Why not listen to something you like?
Shadowstep  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

005 wrote:
FBMrider86 wrote:
So you're effectively restricting your musical taste based on not going outside the comfort zone certain genres have created for you? Not whether not it sounds good to you, but rather not giving it a chance simply because it's in a different genre?

It's not that I don't give new styles a chance, but life is short, and there's only so much time I devote to listening to music (and only so much money, for that matter). Why not listen to something you like?

People pay for music?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fine line here - I don't think the issue of genres vs. not is quite as stark as black and white. I sympathize more with the OP on this particular subject - but some sort of broad label for some music still seems somewhat necessary. Like others have said, life is short and a lot of times it's simpler to tell somebody you like classic rock instead of listing off bands that all amount to something which is almost inarguably classic rock.

But where do you draw that line? The ridiculousness of genre defining becomes especially apparent on this forum when people discuss metal. "No, no, that's not prog-rock, that's post rock with some experimental rock roots" (might not make sense, but you get my point). What's more crazy is people take offense to this stuff! If you're really going to debate the boundaries of a sub-genre of another sub genre, you need to re-evaluate your priorities in my opinion.

People also get in a huff about the genre label "indie". Most people would say I listen to indie music - I stay away from it because frankily the label makes me cringe and makes me wish some abstract genre labels never existed in the first place.

Nowadays I go the middle of the road and keep things simple - I listen to mostly folk, rock, classic rock, or some combination of the three. If they are truly interested I will list some bands to give them a much better idea: Andrew Bird, Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zeppelin, The Shins, etc. But at the end of the day I know what kind of music I like and that's good enough for me - I'm not going to expend too much precious brain power trying to classify it for somebody else.
olle92  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative Ambient Indie Neo Prog-Punk (or Why Genres S Reply with quote

Bmad965 wrote:

Also I definitely agree that there are far too many genres out there.

What the hell is Adventure metal?

Boredcore?

ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a genre with a "-core" should be banned as humanity has clearly shown we cannot handle that, but most genre's are actually very important.

and alot of bands belong to one umbrella genre, but really go into small subgenres like:

progressive blackenend death metal
melodic blackened death metal

Not to mention, ALOT of the times those stupid prefixes are based on the musics culture, lyrics, and fanbase, not the actual sound.
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Most of bands fit exclusively into one genre.
Crap.

Are you trying to say that the bands are crap? Or...?

ganondorf901 wrote:
Not to mention, ALOT of the times those stupid prefixes are based on the musics culture, lyrics, and fanbase, not the actual sound.

Viking, Pirate, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and that's all I can think of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: