ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rock Of The Dead - HotD+GH/RB - WE WANT SCORETRACKING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fUNC  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberwaste wrote:
Guess what? Rock of the Dead is multi-platform now.
Quote:
Gamefly and Amazon recently added both 360 and PS3 versions of Rock of the Dead, which has already been announced for the Wii.

But what is Rock of the Dead, you may (or may not) ask?

The premise of Rock of the Dead is similar to light gun shooters, such as House of the Dead, but instead of shooting zombies with a handgun, you'll be strumming away on your favorite plastic guitar. It has been largely compared to Typing of the Dead in terms of gameplay.

Both Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day have been announced to have the main character's role and his love interest's role. It has also been announced that it will be a "budget title" at about $10 to $20 cheaper than average retail.

Will this be the guitar peripheral's entrance to non music gaming? Or will it go unnoticed, much like Fret Nice did?

...Hell yeah.

Awesome. If Captain Hammer shows up as a boss it's officially the biggest nerdy inside joke ever.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
sextypething  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
Cyberwaste wrote:
Guess what? Rock of the Dead is multi-platform now.
Quote:
Gamefly and Amazon recently added both 360 and PS3 versions of Rock of the Dead, which has already been announced for the Wii.

But what is Rock of the Dead, you may (or may not) ask?

The premise of Rock of the Dead is similar to light gun shooters, such as House of the Dead, but instead of shooting zombies with a handgun, you'll be strumming away on your favorite plastic guitar. It has been largely compared to Typing of the Dead in terms of gameplay.

Both Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day have been announced to have the main character's role and his love interest's role. It has also been announced that it will be a "budget title" at about $10 to $20 cheaper than average retail.

Will this be the guitar peripheral's entrance to non music gaming? Or will it go unnoticed, much like Fret Nice did?

...Hell yeah.

Awesome. If Captain Hammer shows up as a boss it's officially the biggest nerdy inside joke ever.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xTHExLOCUSTx
toymachine  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxFE9WwA78

Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxFE9WwA78

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Awesome.

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
GuitarBoy55  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying the Wii version I can just wait for the PS3 one. Amazon has preorder
wuLFe  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - this came out yesterday apparently? Anybody pick it up yet? I might grab it tonight, and will post thoughts if I can find it.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: wuLFe79 PSN Name: wuLFe
Deschain  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck? Flush with B-Day cash, I am spontaneously buying this, and will let everyone know how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lurking feeling that this game will decrease in price, due to little to no coverage, other than IGN, on Black Friday.

I can wait.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Deschain  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I actually got it and played through the game. It's really fun (and surprisingly hilarious at times), but you've got to accept the astronomical cheese factor involved and recognize that only the GH/RB fanatics will ever play this game. Maybe if everybody's drunk at a party... The basic mechanic of "hit this 4 note progression" to kill whatever's coming at you works really well, and anybody comfortable with GH/RB on Expert will start racking up combos quick. 90% of the time there's no actual rhythmic component, so if the button combo is R-R-R-R, you can just alt-strum R as quick as you can and move on (the other 10% is mini- and regular bosses where you do have to match rhythm). Turning up the difficulty to "thrasher" results in chords becoming commonplace, and while R-RB-RB-RB is still a breeze to knock out, I generally went single strum on awkward stuff like Y-RB-Y-RB so I wouldn't lose my combo (you can still anchor notes, and play it as RY-RB-RY-RB). The big problem with the system is if you accidentally hit the wrong note, if there's another combo on the screen that begins with the note you accidentally hit, you'll be locked in and have to finish that combo before moving on. The bosses are generally unique and some even require a bit of thought to defeat, but the alligator boss has one of the funniest death scenes I've ever witnessed.

One tactic used is to try and overwhelm you with small, 2-note enemies. While not technically hard (even in such big numbers), the little staff that shows the buttons you need to hit to kill them jumble around so fast you literally can't see what you need to press to kill them. This gets worse when they become suicide enemies later in the game, and you have a split second to nail it or take damage, the resulting explosion obscuring your view of the next kamikaze. It can quickly snowball, and is the only point at which I died in the game (which was twice total). Towards the end of the game (when the combos started looking like R-RB-RBO on the smallest enemies) it got pretty frustrating because the sole tactic left to lengthen the game was to throw even more enemies at you. You do have a shield power in addition to a Bomb power, which clears the screen (G+R+Y+B+strum), so as long as you have some power reserves the swarms are never toooo bad.

There are collectibles, which are collected by (what else) hitting the right progression of notes. The issue I have with it is they're often buried behind a swarm of 8 zombies coming at you, and you have to pick them up very quickly, otherwise you have to play through the whole level to get them. Not worth it, IMO.

The music is mostly Rob Zombie, but they also rock-i-fied classical pieces, like o fortuna and that one from Carmen. The background music is used whenever a mini-boss shows up, and while any Rob Zombie tune will basically be easy (though the horizontally scrolling note highway will guaranteed fuck everybody up the first couple times), the classical pieces can get really nasty. Occasionally there are even HO/POs Don't bother trying to hit long strings of them, though, no amount of trying to calibrate helped. You can still strum through, however.

How I Met Your Mother fans, rejoice! The writers aped Barnabus Stinson for this game, and signed on Neil Patrick Harris to make the experience authentic. There are legitimately funny lines, but they are always cheesy, and it seemed like they ran out of steam towards the end of the game, because the wise-crack frequency diminished greatly as I neared the end.

Haven't tried drums or co-op yet, but will get a video up of my favorite couple of levels so everyone else can get a really good idea of what the game is like.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: