Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Rob Zombie rips off "Freya"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerkinator  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Rob Zombie rips off "Freya" Reply with quote

Anybody hear Rob Zombie's song "Virgin Witch" off the new album? Part of it sounds almost exactly like The Sword's song from GH2 "Freya."
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as how Freya is a great song from a great album, I can see why lesser bands would want to imitate.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Well seeing as how Freya is a great song from a great album, I can see why lesser bands would want to imitate.

I couldn't tell if you were bashing on Rob Zombie or not, but I really hope you weren't, because Rob Zombie is a great musician. Although you seem to be very knowledgable about metal, so I'm sure you already knew that.

OT: Is the new album any good? I was thinking about getting it, but I haven't had much money recently. If it's really, really good, then I'd have to, but otherwise, .
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Jerkinator  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
OT: Is the new album any good? I was thinking about getting it, but I haven't had much money recently. If it's really, really good, then I'd have to, but otherwise, .

I like it quite a bit. Didn't find it all that amazing after one listen, but going on four or five now there are a lot of songs that are very good. Not as good as the first Hellbilly Deluxe, but I'd rate it ahead of Educated Horses and about on par (maybe not quite, but close) to The Sinister Urge.

The Freya rip-off did bug me a bit though. Especially since the track's good. But its such a blatant rip off I can hardly listen to that song anymore.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerkinator wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:

I like it quite a bit. Didn't find it all that amazing after one listen, but going on four or five now there are a lot of songs that are very good. Not as good as the first Hellbilly Deluxe, but I'd rate it ahead of Educated Horses and about on par (maybe not quite, but close) to The Sinister Urge.

The Freya rip-off did bug me a bit though. Especially since the track's good. But its such a blatant rip off I can hardly listen to that song anymore.

Well Hellbilly Deluxe was a very, very good album. It's hard to compete with that kind of status. The Sinister Urge was pretty good, so I guess this album is worth the money.

I don't really like the song Freya to begin with, so maybe this song will just not do it for me?
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:

I couldn't tell if you were bashing on Rob Zombie or not, but I really hope you weren't, because Rob Zombie is a great musician. Although you seem to be very knowledgable about metal, so I'm sure you already knew that.

Considering that The Sword's Debut has more quality metal than Rob Zombie's discography combined... Yeah, I was bashing him a little bit but in all fairness, I haven't given him a chance since I heard a few songs a couple years back.

Likewise, I haven't heard any new material so I can't say for sure if it's any good or not - sorry.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:

Considering that The Sword's Debut has more quality metal than Rob Zombie's discography combined... Yeah, I was bashing him a little bit but in all fairness, I haven't given him a chance since I heard a few songs a couple years back.

Likewise, I haven't heard any new material so I can't say for sure if it's any good or not - sorry.

It's not a huge deal. Just check him out - he's frickin' great.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
Jerkinator wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:

Well Hellbilly Deluxe was a very, very good album. It's hard to compete with that kind of status. The Sinister Urge was pretty good, so I guess this album is worth the money.

I don't really like the song Freya to begin with, so maybe this song will just not do it for me?

Well, from what I heard of the song, it's just the guitar thats a huge (or should I say, exact) rip-off of Freya
olle92  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I've only heard Freya a few times through GH2 and even I found it obvious. Still a solid song though.
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I'm generally terrible at recognizing similar riffs and whatnot...but that was pretty much the exact same riff.

GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, shit. I gave the song a listen (Convenient link is convenient) and that's pretty much the same rift.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever hear that american badass by kid rock also has the same riff as sad but true by metallica?

it made me rage but i guess he changed SOME things about it oh and

All summer long is also a rip-off of sweet home alabama.

kid rock i am dissapoint

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: DarKRiffz87
Nollaig  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarKRiffz87 wrote:
ever hear that american badass by kid rock also has the same riff as sad but true by metallica?

All summer long is also a rip-off of sweet home alabama.

kid rock i am dissapoint

There is a difference between ripping off and sampling

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nollaig wrote:
DarKRiffz87 wrote:

All summer long is also a sample of sweet home alabama.

kid rock i am dissapoint

There is a difference between ripping off and sampling

fix'd but it's basically the same thing..

sam·pling (smplng)
n.
1. Statistics See sample.
a. The act, process, or technique of selecting an appropriate sample.
b. A small portion, piece, or segment selected as a sample.

rip-off (rpôf, -f)
n. Slang
1. A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.
2. Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else.
3. A theft.
4. An act of exploitation.

;D

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: DarKRiffz87
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't seem to be following. The implications of ripping something off as opposed to sampling something are important parts. When an artist samples another song, they fully admit that it is not theirs but they use it for their own work in a different way. A rip-off would be trying to pass as an original work when it clearly is not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: