ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Starcraft II - NASL going strong, thread going strong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravagetalon wrote:
ravagetalon#918

My real ID is in a post above but feel free to use this as well.

Love the SC sig, totally got one myself.

EDIT: Added you to the OP as well, thought you were already in there...
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time logging into SH in probably a year now, so I figured I'd stop by and throw my info here so I have more people to play with.

Akaleth.516, mainly protoss, probably going to practice more with zerg and evolve into a random player. I'm in silver league, but probably belong in gold, maybe low platinum (stress on the maybe). I'm just not in the mood to deal with/implement cannon rushing on my way to the next league, and I've been enjoying custom games.

And to add on to what fenster said, your rank in your division/league doesn't mean anything in regards to whether you're eligible to jump up a league. If you're rank 1 in silver, that means you're the best of silver; nothing else. The placement system puts you in a place that gets you the closest to a 50-50 W/L ratio as it can, so the more games you have played, the closer and closer you get to your rightful place. That's why many rank 1 players in divisions have a high number of games played.

Also, for anyone who is looking to get better at the game, I wish to direct you to two places

http://www.teamliquid.net/
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page

TeamLiquid is in many ways the SH of Starcraft, and has many sources of help for new players and experienced alike. Liquipedia is their *pedia, containing information on build orders, unit details, unit uses in specific matchups, information on pro SC players and much more. I would also suggest subscribing to people such as HuskyStarcraft, HDStarcraft and ArtosisTV, all of whom are respected members in the Starcraft community in different ways and post videos of professional games between some of the best, in addition to having some tutorial videos on basic strategies that can be of great help to new players.

I didn't play SC1 a whole lot, I played it with friends often enough to know the basics but I never became all that great. My usual strategy was to abuse our infinite-resource edited maps and turtle in my base with photon cannons and DTs and mass carriers into a win. As someone whose strategy was as simple as that, I can say that all of the aforementioned sources were what really helped me become a player who actually knows how to play the game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akaleth wrote:
First time logging into SH in probably a year now, so I figured I'd stop by and throw my info here so I have more people to play with.

Akaleth.516, mainly protoss, probably going to practice more with zerg and evolve into a random player. I'm in silver league, but probably belong in gold, maybe low platinum (stress on the maybe). I'm just not in the mood to deal with/implement cannon rushing on my way to the next league, and I've been enjoying custom games.

And to add on to what fenster said, your rank in your division/league doesn't mean anything in regards to whether you're eligible to jump up a league. If you're rank 1 in silver, that means you're the best of silver; nothing else. The placement system puts you in a place that gets you the closest to a 50-50 W/L ratio as it can, so the more games you have played, the closer and closer you get to your rightful place. That's why many rank 1 players in divisions have a high number of games played.

Also, for anyone who is looking to get better at the game, I wish to direct you to two places

http://www.teamliquid.net/
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page

TeamLiquid is in many ways the SH of Starcraft, and has many sources of help for new players and experienced alike. Liquipedia is their *pedia, containing information on build orders, unit details, unit uses in specific matchups, information on pro SC players and much more. I would also suggest subscribing to people such as HuskyStarcraft, HDStarcraft and ArtosisTV, all of whom are respected members in the Starcraft community in different ways and post videos of professional games between some of the best, in addition to having some tutorial videos on basic strategies that can be of great help to new players.

I didn't play SC1 a whole lot, I played it with friends often enough to know the basics but I never became all that great. My usual strategy was to abuse our infinite-resource edited maps and turtle in my base with photon cannons and DTs and mass carriers into a win. As someone whose strategy was as simple as that, I can say that all of the aforementioned sources were what really helped me become a player who actually knows how to play the game.

While Husky and HD are both good and fun casters to watch, I wouldn't recommend anybody to really take their analysis of the game to heart. They are entertaining, but their game knowledge seems to be lacking when compared to Day9, whose daily's are really educating.

The Team Liquid wiki is also out of date in the multiplayer aspect, which is kinda sad. Most info can be found in the strategy forum (if you can get past the recent influx of 'baww' threads that have plagued them as of recently)

Im loving the game so far though, although I do think I should be in gold or platinum rather than silver.
bjwdestroyer  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adsee wrote:
While Husky and HD are both good and fun casters to watch, I wouldn't recommend anybody to really take their analysis of the game to heart. They are entertaining, but their game knowledge seems to be lacking when compared to Day9, whose daily's are really educating.

Indeed. Day9 has been playing SC for ages and is consequently very adept at the games. Hell, his brother too. I still remember back when Tasteless first got the casting job at GOM 2 years ago. Good times.

Edit: About 4 more weeks until I can play SC2 with a stable connection! Hooray!
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adsee wrote:

I will admit that Husky is really only for entertainment value, although I personally think he is very entertaining to listen to. HD does analyze the game a bit more than Husky does, but certainly not to the level that Day[9] does. I just wish I would stop forgetting to watch Day[9]'s daily streams.

Also, to those who watched the MLG Raleigh games, top 3 are toss wut?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akaleth wrote:

Guh, I was gone all weekend and I'm bummed I missed MLG. I did catch NonY whip up on some no-name before I left but that's it. Hopefully I can catch up with VOD's or something.
Akaleth  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:
Akaleth wrote:

Guh, I was gone all weekend and I'm bummed I missed MLG. I did catch NonY whip up on some no-name before I left but that's it. Hopefully I can catch up with VOD's or something.

I didn't see a lot of the games, but the last game of Socke vs drewbie was absolutely awesome. The fact that Husky was doing commentary for it only made it that much more entertaining. I'm guessing that the replays will be uploaded, but whether or not there will be videos of the original commentary is up in the air. I'm guessing no, but hoping yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the MLG games, but the reaction I get from Teamliquid was that they were pretty meh. Still, I may check them out when I'm bored one day.

I'm looking forward to the GSL though, looks to be awesome, and Tasteless and Artosis casting it must be good.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched part of a game, and it would've been interesting... had I known what was going on.
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akaleth wrote:
Adsee wrote:

I will admit that Husky is really only for entertainment value, although I personally think he is very entertaining to listen to. HD does analyze the game a bit more than Husky does, but certainly not to the level that Day[9] does. I just wish I would stop forgetting to watch Day[9]'s daily streams.

The thing is... Husky and HD can be very good analysts of the game when they aren't making jokes all the time. Listening to their live casting of the MLG games is proof of this... I mean they sounded like they could have been hosting an ESPN Sportscenter for Starcraft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravagetalon wrote:
Akaleth wrote:
Adsee wrote:

The thing is... Husky and HD can be very good analysts of the game when they aren't making jokes all the time. Listening to their live casting of the MLG games is proof of this... I mean they sounded like they could have been hosting an ESPN Sportscenter for Starcraft.

Their analysis is spotty at best, though. They're knowledge of the game is good, but not great. I remember watching HD's cast of the infamous drewbie vs Idra game (where Idra threw a million ultralisks into drewbie as I threw my head into a wall), and very late game Idra starts pumping out Corrupters. HD struggled for 2 minutes with why Idra would ever get Corrupters against drewbie's mech army, going as far as to criticize Idra for making a poor unit composition. It was painful to watch.

Of course, once the GGlords starting morphing, he understood, but come on. How do you not see that coming. Day[9] (along with Tasteless, Artosis) just have way more experience with the game, having played professionally in Brood War etc. HD and Husky have good game sense but no more than the average diamond league player. Entertaining to watch, yes, but I've stopped taking their analysis of games as advice for my own play.
ravagetalon  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suspectfenster wrote:
ravagetalon wrote:
Akaleth wrote:
Adsee wrote:

Their analysis is spotty at best, though. They're knowledge of the game is good, but not great. I remember watching HD's cast of the infamous drewbie vs Idra game (where Idra threw a million ultralisks into drewbie as I threw my head into a wall), and very late game Idra starts pumping out Corrupters. HD struggled for 2 minutes with why Idra would ever get Corrupters against drewbie's mech army, going as far as to criticize Idra for making a poor unit composition. It was painful to watch.

Of course, once the GGlords starting morphing, he understood, but come on. How do you not see that coming. Day[9] (along with Tasteless, Artosis) just have way more experience with the game, having played professionally in Brood War etc. HD and Husky have good game sense but no more than the average diamond league player. Entertaining to watch, yes, but I've stopped taking their analysis of games as advice for my own play.

Yeah I see your point. Also you can't beat Husky's inadvertent creation of the "Pylo the Pylon" meme. LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....anybody still playing Starcraft? I know I am. I will update the OP later today with some videos from the GSL (some AMAZING games) and patch 1.1 stuff.

For those who don't know patch 1.1 came out this week and addresses a few balance issues. lolpinions, but for a patch that's been a month and a half in the making I would have liked to have seen some bolder changes. I think somebody said it best on TeamLiquid when they said that they respect Blizzard's decision to make subtle changes and test the waters but at some point zerg is going to need a pretty substantial change or buff. I just hope they don't wait until Heart of the Swarm to do it.

---------------------
EDIT: Cleaned up OP a bit and added in details about GSL and the new patch.

GSL - Right Now!

GSL is going on right now for those who aren't aware. It's basically the biggest SC2 tourney in the world and season 1 is well under way in Korea. The round of 64 and 32 have already completed and it's currently in the round of 16. I won't post spoilers here but there have been some absolutely epic matches, I will links to videos once I can. Unfortunately to watch more than game 1 of any set you need to pay for a season pass...which I did but I'm sure most people have not.

http://www.gomtv.net/

Patch 1.1 Released This Week

A new patch came out this week which addresses a bunch of bugs and adds some map editor features. Balance changes were also made, most notably repear and zealot build times were increased by 5 seconds, and warp gate cooldown was also increased by 5 seconds. Seige tank damage to light units was nerfed as was battlecruiser damage to ground units.

Ultralisks were supposed to be nerfed a bit in their effectiveness against armor but they botched the splash damage so that it is a function of the unit size being attacked. This implies when you attack a command center, the splash is HUGE and everything in the surrounding area will get obliterated. Pretty hilarious, beware of ultras for now!
Unpur3  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added my SC2 rank sig to my sig on this forum too, yes I'm in bronze, but its only because of how bad I was when I started. I've been playing a lot of customs recently and beat a few golds, one or 2 plats and held my own against some diamonds. Its just a shame that all the silvers I play in ladder cheese to no end so its 50/50 usually if I hold off their initial cheese then win.

I think I'm going to try to make the move to protoss soon, I've been playing them in customs and 2v2's and I just seem to be able to use them a lot better than terran. I like how many different things they can do like blink stalkers, DTs, void rays, high temps, collosus, etc.

Oh yeh, ultras really are stupidly powerful now, I don't know if anyones seen PsyStarcrafts patch update video, but he shows the new splash damage effect with SCVs repairing a planitary fortress, and one ultra on its own literally hits every SCV repairing it all around the fortress. Its got to be a bug or glitch or something like that. Even Psy who is all out zerg admits its pretty stupid and wants it changing.
Adsee  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch was nice, but I'd like to see more changes in terms of Zerg being buffed up a little. While its not as extreme as some may say, its hard to deny that they are the weakest of the three races atm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: