ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official Unofficial PC building thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qarx  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lol. Kind of assumed it did but didn't read the "monitor" part of the description too much lol.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
All done! Took apart the computer and installed the new CPU, easy as can be (Well, not really. I ALWAYS have trouble getting the graphics card out because of that fucking lock ). Had a bit of a scare when I started up my computer. My resolution was something like 1280x800, and I had red artifacts all over my screen and my Graphics Card wasn't being recognized. Luckily it was a bit loose, so I little push and it fixed it right up!

EDIT: Is there a good CPU monitoring program anyone would recommend? Would like the keep an eye on the temp over the next week or two to make sure. Also, whats the usual acceptable range for temperature for CPUs?

CoreTemp or Speedfan, they're the two best programs IMO.
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get behind CoreTemp. I use that on my laptop, and it's great.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I used ASRock Extremem Tuning Utility (A program provided by my Mobo's company). It's telling me that my CPU Core is ~65, while CoreTemp is saying all 4 cores is 90+... not sure which is right lol

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Hmmm. I used ASRock Extremem Tuning Utility (A program provided by my Mobo's company). It's telling me that my CPU Core is ~65, while CoreTemp is saying all 4 cores is 90+... not sure which is right lol

While coretemp is good, it can't grab every single chipset that exists. I'd trust asrock's temps. If the CPU was 90C+, your computer wouldn't be on.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:
Hmmm. I used ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (A program provided by my Mobo's company). It's telling me that my CPU Core is ~65, while CoreTemp is saying all 4 cores is 90+... not sure which is right lol

While coretemp is good, it can't grab every single chipset that exists. I'd trust asrock's temps. If the CPU was 90C+, your computer wouldn't be on.

Is there a difference between the CPU Temp and the CPU Core temps? Even under a Prime95 torture test, ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility still shows it at about 62C right now, while Real Temp (Which has been updated for Ivy Bridge the site says) shows all 4 cores around 75-77 right now.

Both of which I'm sure is fine, but with a 10+ degree difference, it makes me think something is different between them.

EDIT: Apparently my CPU was underclocked to 1600... for whatever reason. Running the same test at 3.4 (Stock) under the same stress test, ASRock is reporting 77C while Real Temp is reporting each core 100-104. Hmmm. It's even underclocked down to 2.6-2.8 right now since each core almost reached the TJMax temperature.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:
Hmmm. I used ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (A program provided by my Mobo's company). It's telling me that my CPU Core is ~65, while CoreTemp is saying all 4 cores is 90+... not sure which is right lol

Is there a difference between the CPU Temp and the CPU Core temps? Even under a Prime95 torture test, ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility still shows it at about 62C right now, while Real Temp (Which has been updated for Ivy Bridge the site says) shows all 4 cores around 75-77 right now.

Both of which I'm sure is fine, but with a 10+ degree difference, it makes me think something is different between them.

EDIT: Apparently my CPU was underclocked to 1600... for whatever reason. Running the same test at 3.4 (Stock) under the same stress test, ASRock is reporting 77C while Real Temp is reporting each core 100-104. Hmmm. It's even underclocked down to 2.6-2.8 right now since each core almost reached the TJMax temperature.

CPUs underclock themselves to 1600MHz to keep cool and not use much power when it's not needed, but that's real weird. Try taking off the heatsink and putting it back on (if you have some thermal paste). Usually when I have temperature problems, that solves it.

Speaking of heatsinks, I guess it's time to show off my A70 (and this case's shitty wire management)..
I also got some actually good sticks of RAM, G.Skill Sniper (1600MHz, Cas9, nothing too special)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here?
here?
here?
here?
here?
here?
Qarx  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here, now lol.

Alright, I'm hoping to build a decent gaming PC (as it turns out, my current PC is not exactly upgrade-friendly), and going to ask around for the best possible recommendations for doing so. My budget is $800, and in all honesty, not sure where to start, just that I've been recommended this PSU and (though not exactly the same one) this GPU. Not sure what I should consider for the rest =P.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
vipergtsr7588  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend checking out the bundle deals on newegg. I made a somewhat powerful rig for just over $700. Well not really because i had to buy a copy of windows, keyboard, mouse, and speakers but if you have these things already then you can get a quality machine for cheap.

I actually just upgraded mine to 32 gbs ram and radeon 7970.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TsH1rTw1tHr1fLe
Kathya  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32GBs of RAM is overkill, everything works fine with 4 right now, 8 is already quite future proof, 16 if you have money to throw away - though possibly a waste, as the price for RAM is likely to keep dropping, 8GB would be what I recommend for a new PC.
Honestly, the GTX560 is severely outperformed already, at the very least you should get a 560 Ti for a similar price to that EVGA one, can overclock that one if you're so into it, but there's really no need to, the 560 alone runs current gen games on Max Settings and a Ti is just slightly more future proof and seems to currently be the best bang for your buck.

PSU is subjective. You can cheap out on the motherboard if you don't plan to overclock too, otherwise, pick up a decent one. AMD CPUs if you're on a tight budget, Intel otherwise.

If I was building something, right now I'd get this, consider the suggestions:
  - Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 (CM Mid Tower, ATX): $50
  - PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 (Corsair Bronze, only PSUs that never gave me issues, Bronze for a budget): $90
  - RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104262 (Kingston 8GB 1600DDR3): $55
  - CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106010 (AMD FX-6300): $135
  - Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280 (AsRock Extreme3 AMD3+): $85
  - SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-171-645 (SamDisk 64GB SSD): $75
  - GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130763 (GTX560 Ti): $180
  - DVD: Probably keep the one you're using or don't bother buying. I don't remember needing one of these for ages.
  - HDD: Go cheap on the SSD, get a 64GB one, then keep your current HDD or get an external one to store large files. OS and most played games/tools go on the SSD, everything else on the HDD.

Total: $670 + shipping costs.

My main problem with that setup would be the case. I like Full Towers. More space to work on, better ventilation, less heating problems, more fans and more space for more fans.
Case upgrade: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245 (CM Storm Trooper Full Tower, E-ATX): $145 (+$95)
Comes with 4 fans, lots of room, lots of ventilation, not many have this case so it feels more unique unlike the HAF's. Possibly overkill, size always matters.

Total would be $765 + shipping costs.
Leaving no room in the budget for peripherals.

If you find combos better than that, brilliant.
Or you could... Ask here: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/
Qarx  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the recommendations! Just ordered most of the list Kathya provided after double-checking with some friends . Most of them said it's a good budget starter, though said I should probably look into getting a 128GB SSD, rather than cheap out on a 64GB one. I got a 500GB HDD on sale ($50) and am going to use this HDD in the new build (it's 500GB, too, but running low on space. Only have 164GB left). When I can, I'll buy a 128GB SSD and use it as my boot drive later!

BTW, I got the Full Tower (it just got discounted, and has a rebate card!), so my order total came to $733.92 (free shipping, signed up for that silly "2-Day Free Shipping" thing, since it's a free trial. Will ditch it when I get the stuff XD). Not bad! Really looking forward to putting it together and using it!

My Backloggery
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, post pics when its built
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New build time!

CPU: i7-4770K Haswell
Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro
GFX: XFX Radeon 7970HD 3Gb GHz Edition
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR3
Case: Silverstone RV03
PSU: Corsair HX850
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Plextor M5 Pro 250Gb

Cost: A lot. I've been saving up for this puppy for a while. May post pics once it all arrives and I get it built.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
New build time!

CPU: i7-4770K Haswell
Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro
GFX: XFX Radeon 7970HD 3Gb GHz Edition
RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR3
Case: Silverstone RV03
PSU: Corsair HX850
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Plextor M5 Pro 250Gb

Cost: A lot. I've been saving up for this puppy for a while. May post pics once it all arrives and I get it built.

Duuuuude, imagine what you could run with that thing! Like, NetHack and Crawl AT THE SAME TIME!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: