Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A friendly discussion on the merits of rap/hip-hop music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mninp  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just listing a few bands I like, I like ALL kinds of rock and metal. Not one band I hate with a guitar (except maybe Nickelback, Jonas Brothers). If I would list all my favorite bands, it would take hours. I was just liting examples of some bands, that's it. I respect all kinds of rock. Some kinds of rap I actually do enjoy, like Jay-Z, and shit. I just hate the :fake rap", I can't really explain it.
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOO!! I wrote a really epic post that took a lot of time and thought, but my internet connection crapped out right when I hit the submit button.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol nvm ill just get called a troll

Last edited by FreeXBird on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
POKE-JJ  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mninp wrote:
I was just listing a few bands I like, I like ALL kinds of rock and metal. Not one band I hate with a guitar (except maybe Nickelback, Jonas Brothers). If I would list all my favorite bands, it would take hours. I was just liting examples of some bands, that's it. I respect all kinds of rock. Some kinds of rap I actually do enjoy, like Jay-Z, and shit. I just hate the :fake rap", I can't really explain it.

I think everyone hates "fake rap", but you should probably specify in the OP to avoid further confrontation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel bad for people who like rap. They are missing out on real talent and a type of music which knows no bounds and can really grasp the soul.

I hate it when people say this, because it's fucking wrong. You can't be missing out on something you hate. I hate (and I mean hate) Between the Buried and Me. No, I'm not missing out on anything. Why? Because I hate them.

The people who don't like metal are not missing out on anything, because they don't like it.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
Quote:
I feel bad for people who like rap. They are missing out on real talent and a type of music which knows no bounds and can really grasp the soul.

I hate it when people say this, because it's fucking wrong. You can't be missing out on something you hate. I hate (and I mean hate) Between the Buried and Me. No, I'm not missing out on anything. Why? Because I hate them.

The people who don't like metal are not missing out on anything, because they don't like it.
Someone is only missing out on something maybe if they haven't heard of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: I wish rap never existed Reply with quote

mninp wrote:
Honestly, I have a huge passion for music.

Me too.

Quote:
Rock and Heavy Metal.

Same shit I listened to...when I was 15.

Quote:
I've been playing guitar for 6 years now and my friends and I are starting a band soon.

Cool, I hope you have fun. I won't be listening, though, since it sounds like you would make really boring music.

Quote:
I love drinking, having fun and just fucking around in general. We go to my friend's basement and fuck up the world with music and partying.

Well, aren't you a special snowflake?

Quote:
The problem is, when I go to the outside world, everyone listens to rap, that's all I hear.

Congratulations, you're a minority. Think of it this way: back during the 'golden age' of metal (the 80s), it wasn't exactly popular then, either. Metal is generally an inaccessible genre. And rock music today is just so god damn diluted. I'd rather people listen to Lil' Wayne, whom I dislike but admit that he has a unique style, than Nickelback, whom are just a shitty amalgamation of all the most popular alt-rock bands from the early 90s.

Quote:
It seriously sickens me. Heavy Metal is like God to me and my biggest passion in life. I ALWAYS where a band shirt with jeans and I love being into metal.

Xenophobic, bigoted, pride and prejudice, etc. You sound like a damn religious nut. Well, I guess you DID compare metal to God, so I guess even you see that.

Quote:
I feel bad for people who like rap.

Don't. They should feel sorry for you, since you can't find enjoyment in the second-most common form of music out there, and are probably really bitter and lonely.

Quote:
They are missing out on real talent

No, not really. The average rock band these days has about as much talent as my lawn mower.

Quote:
and a type of music which knows no bounds and can really grasp the soul.

No form of music has any bounds, and any can grasp anyone's soul. It really comes down to the artists themselves. Are you saying black people (by far the largest demographic when it comes to making rap music) are uncreative and have no soul? Ohohohoho! It's quite the opposite, really. Suburban white kids like yourself don't even know what soul is.

Quote:
All the hot girls listen to rap too and songs like Girls, Girls Girls dosen't have the same effect anymore because girls wouldn't go wild to it today like they would have in the 80's.

Maybe that's because the patrons of your local gentleman's club have grown sick of the song, after hearing it non-stop for 25 years.

Quote:
I'm ... 19,

This really surprises me.

Quote:
so I think I was born in the wrong decade honestly. My friends think the same thing.

Most 15-year-olds do. You should really thankful that you are alive today, since you have full access to all of the world's best metal music since its inception plus much more that has been made since. But I guess having neighbors that listen to different music isn't worth that.

Quote:
What is the world coming to? I hate people who think they are so cool blasting there rap shit in their car with spinner rims. I mean seriously, wtf?

They see me rollin'...they hatin'. olol. But seriously, ever think maybe they just like to listen to music loudly while driving? Seems like these days everyone just assumes that they're the only ones who don't do everything they do for the sole purpose of being 'cool.' Besides, anyone who listens to music at a reasonable volume is just a god damn douchebag.

Quote:
Bands like,

oooh, boy!

Quote:
Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, Testament

B-grade thrash (more like trash, rite?)

Quote:
AC/DC,

Shit.

Quote:
Motley Crue,

Hair metal was the 80s version of your scenecore bands these days. Take that how you please, I don't think that's all that bad of a thing to be.

Quote:
Iron Maiden, Deep Purple,

Pretty decent bands. Good even. Deep Purple especially.

Quote:
Led Zeppelin,

Oh, to be 15 again...

Quote:
Trivium, Shadows Fall, All That Remains and Rob Zombie.

See: AC/DC. Though, Zombie puts on a good show, and his stuff with White Zombie was pretty rad.

Quote:
I mean, these bands have talent and they kick ass.

I suppose I'll give you that. Some of them don't have talent so much as just general skill (looking at you, Angus Young).

Quote:
This music is my escape if things get too tough in life. It's sometimes poetic and beautifully written. I can't explain it, it just hits me where nothing else can.

Everyone feels that way about their favorite music. I'm sure a jazz enthusiast would say the same thing, and say about rock everything you said about rap.

Quote:
If someone says that metal sucks, I say "fuck you" and blast Testament in their face.

Real mature, sonny. I'm sure that tactic has converted many plebian rap fans in to worshippers of glorious metal music.

Quote:
I love the guitar

I'd hope so. Wouldn't want someone to spend 6 years learning an instrument they didn't love.

Quote:
and wish that people appreciated music for what it is

They do. It's just they have a different idea of what it is.

Quote:
a group of people coming together using their heart, soul and musical talent...

That's a pretty good idea of what makes music good. That's pretty matu...

Quote:
to make the guitar a heavy metal weapon.

Nigga, you just went full retard. Your mistake here is synonymizing (lul made-up word) music with guitars. You do not need guitars to make good music.

Back to that thing you were saying that wasn't fucking stupid: musicians from other genres DO use their heart, soul, and talent to make their music. It's just not rock music. And if those people were to ignore their heart and soul and make rock instead of what they were born to do...well, that would just be tragic.

Quote:
Man, do I love metal.

Whether or not you're a troll, you sure do sound like one. If you are, be glad I had nothing else to do on this beautiful Wednesday evening other than to spout my potentially controversial views on Scorehero.

Quote:
Does anyone else feel this way?

Nope. No one. You are the only person in the world who has ever felt this way.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: I wish rap never existed Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
wasdf

Wow. You should write every post ever. I'm not even half way joking.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Shreddies  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: I wish rap never existed Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Twang wrote:
wasdf

Wow. You should write every post ever. I'm not even half way joking.

No he shouldn't, he listed Zep outside of the bands he considered "good".

Anyway, lrn2goodrap OP...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am arguably one of the most "Metal" people on the site (among plenty others of course), yet I listen to a LOT of Rap (well, I listen to everything, but thats beside the point). I used to be EXACTLY like you, but then after literally being forced to listen to popular music of all sorts, I realized I slowly began to enjoy it more. Now I listen to ALOT more Rap from all sorts of era's and style's, I know more about Rap and Hip Hop culture than any "hood" kid in my school, and acquired a broader understanding of music. Music, like any other form of art or knowledge, is entirely based on perspective. The more you listen to, the more you understand it all.

Listen to bands like Limp Bizkit, the Beastie Boys, RATM, Spit It Out (the Slipknot song), Cypress Hill, Faith No More, Iron Man (by Sir Mix-A-Lot and Metal Church), Anthrax's I'm The Man and Bring The Noise, and Stuck Mojo. All of which incorporate Metal/Rock with Rap.
Once you get into rappers, listen to (I hate to be cliche) Notorious B.I.G., 2pac, Eminem, Lupe Fiasco, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg (specifically Doggystyle), 50 Cent, and T-Pain (even if you hate Auto-Tune).

Last edited by ganondorf901 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u mad

Seriously, if you listened to good rap music and just couldn't accept that it was good, you're butthurt that it's popular.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading when you said AC/DC has talent.

ganondorf901 wrote:
Listen to bands like Limp Bizkit, the Beastie Boys, RATM, Spit It Out (the Slipknot song), Cypress Hill, Faith No More, Iron Man (by Sir Mix-A-Lot and Metal Church), Anthrax's I'm The Man and Bring The Noise, and Stuck Mojo. All of which incorporate Metal/Rock with Rap.
Once you get into rappers, listen to (I hate to be cliche) Notorious B.I.G., 2pac, Eminem, Lupe Fiasco, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg (specifically Doggystyle), 50 Cent, and T-Pain (even if you hate Auto-Tune).

I'm surprised you didn't mention Linkin Park. There's also a Machine Head song that incorporates rap with metal pretty well (It's on The Burning Red)
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
OP wrote:
It seriously sickens me. Heavy Metal is like God to me and my biggest passion in life. I ALWAYS where a band shirt with jeans and I love being into metal.

Xenophobic, bigoted, pride and prejudice, etc. You sound like a damn religious nut. Well, I guess you DID compare metal to God, so I guess even you see that.

This part reminded me of the "is music a religion" thread lol. Great read Twang, btw.

I'm not exactly qualified to determine what music is "good" or not (I pretty much only listen to music I hear from video games) so I won't try to add anything lol. I will say it's fun to read arguments like this, though .

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JODIsBack wrote:
I stopped reading when you said AC/DC has talent.

ganondorf901 wrote:

I'm surprised you didn't mention Linkin Park. There's also a Machine Head song that incorporates rap with metal pretty well (It's on The Burning Red)

Well first off, I am 100% sure he listens to or at least knows Linkin Park (I always hated them from the very beginning of my interest in music). I don't see Linkin Park incorporating Rap with Rock any more than your stranded Nu Metal band.

Oh shit, it's been a long time, but doesn't Powerman 5000 often rap in their songs? They usually do it amazing if my memory serves me well...
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:

Switch out 50 Cent and T-Pain for Wu-Tang Clan and Nas and that list would be ideal. And add OutKast. Everyone seems to forget about their first three albums.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: