ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Is it wrong to kill people who deserve to die?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Is it wrong to kill people who deserve to die? Reply with quote

Before you jump on me: Let me 'splain. *pause* No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

The inspiration for this thread is based on an early episode of the popular anime "Death Note". In this episode, the main character states that in school, if a student was asked if it was right to kill someone who committed murder (or another serious crime), they would say something like the following: "No, it's just wrong to kill people!". And apparently, that's the "correct" answer. He proceeds to point out that people may say this in public to keep up appearances, but on the internet, where you can remain anonymous, some people may feel differently. And that's where this thread comes in.

Do you think it is wrong for a person to kill someone who has committed a serious crime, be it murder, rape, etc.? Or do you think that this action would be justified? I understand that this can be a situational question, so feel free to mention if your view depends on the actual crime committed, or something similar to that effect.

Personally, I'm a big fan of "an eye for an eye", so I would not feel remorse for the person who committed the original crime if they were to be sentenced to death or if someone acted out of revenge towards them. I don't think it is wrong for people who, frankly, deserve to die, to be killed. It's a harsh way to say it, but that's what I believe. And I just know I'm going to get someone who disagrees with me...

Note: this thread is not necessarily about the death penalty versus life imprisonment... but I have a feeling it will drift over there. Felt I should mention this now.

And just remember: let's stay civil.

[Edit] Disclaimer: I am honestly curious about ScoreHero's thought on this. I'm not trying to troll, or flame, or anything to that effect. I apologize if anyone feels I'm being too "harsh", but I don't feel it necessary to sugar-coat my thoughts in a situation like this.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most definitely think there are times when it's appropriate to kill someone. I'm planning to elaborate a lot on this later on because it's a topic I often think about (the debate, not plans to actually kill someone).
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to put my view point in here seeing as I fortunately have never had someone in my family raped/murdered so it's pretty easy for me to side with it being wrong to kill anyone no matter what they've done. That being said, I believe there's just too many variables in a murder to suggest that person be killed themselves with the hit of a gavel.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

No, my actual view is that if somebody is sentenced to life in prison, we should just kill them instead. This is because it is a huge waste of money to keep somebody alive in there until they die; just kill them early. For murder specifically: yes, kill them. Don't kill people and expect to not be killed, that's silly.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
Its hard to put my view point in here seeing as I fortunately have never had someone in my family raped/murdered so it's pretty easy for me to side with it being wrong to kill anyone no matter what they've done.

Ah, but I have never witnessed any of these things either, yet I side with the opposite view. I see what you're saying, though.

Vampyromaniac wrote:
I'm planning to elaborate a lot on this later on

O__O

Vampyromaniac wrote:
(the debate, not plans to actually kill someone).

oh
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it's interesting to compare to what Society will tell you is wrong, and what actually is wrong when contemplated in certain ways.

The killing of another human at times is hard to justify, and other times it may be easy to justify. This varies from person to person, but in my opinion it's impossible to say that the killing of another human is never justifiable (Even if society will tell you it is).
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raping the offender is not an acceptable punishment for rape, burning the offender's house and possessions is not an acceptable punishment for arson, so why should killing the offender be an acceptable punishment for murder?
prognostics  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what defines deserving to die?
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prognostics wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, killing another human being.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prognostics wrote:

This is also an interesting question for you OP.

Also, what about human life period. Because let's be honest, who really has the authority to decide who deserves to die any who doesn't? I'll admit that I don't.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prognostics wrote:

Excellent question. I suppose this is subjective. I would definitely say that murder falls into this category for most people, although for some people, more things may fall into this category. Anything from rapists to pedophiles to just being lazy and unproductive towards society.

For me, personally, I can definitely say murder falls into this category.

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Also, what about human life period. Because let's be honest, who really has the authority to decide who deserves to die any who doesn't? I'll admit that I don't.

I would say that the victim should decide what should happen to the offender, but I'll concede I haven't given this much thought. Not one single person should be allowed to make this type of decision in every situation - we can all agree on this, yes?
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

prognostics  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InflatablePie wrote:
prognostics wrote:

Excellent question. I suppose this is subjective. I would definitely say that murder falls into this category for most people, although for some people, more things may fall into this category. Anything from rapists to pedophiles to just being lazy and unproductive towards society.

For me, personally, I can definitely say murder falls into this category.

I mean, you're supposed to be making up for the crime. (Which is why I don't understand life in prison--that helps nothing). But if somehow you dying makes up for another person living I don't understand. I mean, I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

My english teacher has a button that says "The death penalty is dead wrong," but I'm not sure how true I feel. The person committing the crime should never have committed it, so maybe we have to do something unreasonable to make up for that?
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do only what society deems as criminals deserve to die? Or are there other people who the world would be better off without as well? It seems to me like the topic quickly fizzled out into "Death penalty, yes or no", when really the ending of human life happens (or could happen) in so many other contexts that it seems unfair to go at this with tunnel vision.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
fudrick  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
prognostics wrote:

Cops? Soldiers?

InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Do only what society deems as criminals deserve to die? Or are there other people who the world would be better off without as well? It seems to me like the topic quickly fizzled out into "Death penalty, yes or no", when really the ending of human life happens (or could happen) in so many other contexts that it seems unfair to go at this with tunnel vision.

Well, who do you think deserves to die, personally? Do you believe every human life is sacred, or there are people this world can do without? This point is subjective, it seems like you're reiterating the previous question of "what defines deserving to die?" without offering your own opinion.

With your opinion of who (if anyone) deserves to die, do you also think it is right for them to be killed? Do you believe in eye for an eye? Or do you acknowledge that they deserve to die, but should not be killed for one reason or another?

I understand this is very situational, so again, feel free to discuss certain instances where you would or would not be okay with such a decision.

fudrick wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
prognostics wrote:

Cops? Soldiers?

For me, personally: not if the situation calls for it - soldiers/cops are exempt in this case. If they commit first-degree murder and just happen to be a cop/soldier, that's different, but if their life is in danger while doing their jobs, appropriate action should be taken.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

Last edited by InflatablePie on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: