ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How to not choke?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YouJustWanna  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: How to not choke? Reply with quote

FCing songs is the most annoying thing ever! I cant FC a song without getting like 3 chokes on it.
Cliffs of Dover-miss in the last chorus
Dont Hold Back-miss in the 3 note chord spam before last chorus
Down n Dirty-miss at the very end of solo 2
Do it again- Miss 3 sections from the end
Cowboys from Hell-miss on the section after the solo
BatM-miss in outro
the list goes on.........

Its getting out of hand. How do you guys do it? I feel like there's a trick to not thinking about the song and just hitting it. Any tips would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow out, man.

In all honesty, the best way is to relax while keeping focussed, and keep trying. A choke is a sure fire indicator that the FC is possible, so keep working on it.
Shaffx95  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- practice
2- practice
3- practice

And then, relax.
I remember that when i FCed Cowboys From Hell, i tried to keep focused during the song. After i passed the solo, i was like "fuck yeaa, oh shit, i dont believe this", but i still didn't "lose the focus", and somehow i didnt miss notes (i was sure i was going to choke)

The Rock Band Master FC Breakdown Project: RB1 RB2
My Youtube Account: Click Here
lordvader178  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill the fuck out lad.

Seriousy, for me I start to sweat once I FC a hard part, then I pay TOO much attention to the rest of the song, causing me to miss.

Tell yourself you are gonna miss. That way it'll be less likely. It actually helps. I put on a carefree attitude so it's like "Oh wow I just hit the hard part, I know im gonna miss after, ugh". Then when I dont its like cool beans.

Just relax your sacks after you do something amazing and you'll be fine.

YouJustWanna  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrgg lol I hate choking. I usually have the "Oh cool, i fc'd the solo, I know i'm gonna miss," attitude, and i still miss.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else has said, it all comes down to staying concentrated. I've noticed that on most tough songs I don't even take breaths after hitting the really hard section (I about passed out after my first BiM FC haha). You don't have to go to that extreme, but make sure you're not constantly thinking "omg omg omg I just hit that" when finishing up the rest of the song.

lordvader178 wrote:
Seriousy, for me I start to sweat once I FC a hard part

I start to sweat before the hard part even starts. I hate being a nervous fuck...

Accomplishment Thread - Nothing new... lol. | Youtube | S11 - GH2X Squeedlies Champion!
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, uhh, I FCed up to One Last Solo of Cliffs of Dover something like 15 times before eventually FCing the song. <_<

One thing that's helped me a bit (as far as physical things go) is aiming a fan at my hands. Not having them get all sweaty helps me strum better and fret more accurately, and something about being a little bit cold helps me concentrate better.

Mentally ... I dunno. I play tennis, which is (it seems) fairly well known for having the ability to choke (similar to golf), and I've never had issues choking. I think part of that is about concentration - when I'm up 6-3, 5-2 in that final, I'm not thinking about the end result; I'm focusing incredibly hard on playing just the next point as itself. The same thing could work out for not choking on FCs; just focus on each little thing, try not to let your attention wander to "oh hey cool I'm FCing this" or whatever.

Maybe this is the opposite of what people need, though; given that some people have said they need to be UNfocused to FC things, that could be the case. That works for me with old FCs of medium-difficulty songs (like the other day I FCed Nothing for Me Here as a warm-up song without thinking too hard about it) but not with new FCs. When I FCed Before I Forget my friend starting talking after I FCed the bridge, and I yelled at him to shut up because I needed to concentrate on the last chorus and the outro.

tl;dr: concentrate or not, it's up to you, concentration works better for me
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
YouJustWanna  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
Yeah, uhh, I FCed up to One Last Solo of Cliffs of Dover something like 15 times before eventually FCing the song. <_<

One thing that's helped me a bit (as far as physical things go) is aiming a fan at my hands. Not having them get all sweaty helps me strum better and fret more accurately, and something about being a little bit cold helps me concentrate better.

Mentally ... I dunno. I play tennis, which is (it seems) fairly well known for having the ability to choke (similar to golf), and I've never had issues choking. I think part of that is about concentration - when I'm up 6-3, 5-2 in that final, I'm not thinking about the end result; I'm focusing incredibly hard on playing just the next point as itself. The same thing could work out for not choking on FCs; just focus on each little thing, try not to let your attention wander to "oh hey cool I'm FCing this" or whatever.

Maybe this is the opposite of what people need, though; given that some people have said they need to be UNfocused to FC things, that could be the case. That works for me with old FCs of medium-difficulty songs (like the other day I FCed Nothing for Me Here as a warm-up song without thinking too hard about it) but not with new FCs. When I FCed Before I Forget my friend starting talking after I FCed the bridge, and I yelled at him to shut up because I needed to concentrate on the last chorus and the outro.

tl;dr: concentrate or not, it's up to you, concentration works better for me

Okay man, thanks. I'll just try to concentrate really hard. I should probably go in and practice the parts after the solo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way. My best FC is Dancing Through Sunday, but I've choked on songs like Psychosocial and Spirit of the Radio so many times I stopped trying.
Usually on every song I play I miss 1 note. I was going through Metallica songs yesterday and I got -1's on Blood and Thunder, Beautiful Mourning, and Ace of Spades, and none were in difficult parts.
*sigh*

YouJustWanna  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhiem wrote:
I feel the same way. My best FC is Dancing Through Sunday, but I've choked on songs like Psychosocial and Spirit of the Radio so many times I stopped trying.
Usually on every song I play I miss 1 note. I was going through Metallica songs yesterday and I got -1's on Blood and Thunder, Beautiful Mourning, and Ace of Spades, and none were in difficult parts.
*sigh*

I have a minus 3 on Beautiful Morning and a minus 1 on AoS. I feel your pain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tought myself not to get excited, until the end of the song where i just take a deep breath in relief. I've had some miserable chokes myself, everyone does, and no matter what everyone is going to have it happen to them OFTEN. When i FC a hard part in a song that i have maybe a 5% chance of hitting I just act like i hit any other part. I won't even think about it. otherwise I'll tense up in excitement and nerves will get to me.

WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALWAYS Practice the DAMN outro!
Even if it's easily as shit just practice it a couple of times so that IF you FC the solo you really know what to do.

A good example is The Spirit of Radio.
The end strumming is hard when you are stressing out because you hit the solo so learn it until you KNOW what you should do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you hit the hard part in a song, don't think about it. I have a nervous habit of whammying REALLY hard on every hold note after the hard part and sometimes it makes me miss *looks at Trogdor* so if you do something like that, try... not to.

Just act like you can hit it all the time and it doesn't matter if you miss. Put it in your mindset. DO NOT THINK YOU WILL MISS. You will miss.
JagerbombsFTW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always seem to choke 14 spirit of the radio chokes 9 still i rise chokes 2 hard to see chokes and a stricken choke after solo that hurt alot
lilo95  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously there's no actual way to avoid this, but a useful thing to do is simply take this section into practice, no matter how easy.

Play it through 10-20 times. If you miss one little bit once, play it through about 10-20 times, or else you'll get to that bit in the song and think, "OMG WHAT HAPPENENS IF I MISS A NOTE LIKE I DID THE SEVENTEENTH TIME I PRACTICED IT."

The advice given above is all good as well, just stay calm and play it through, and if you do happen to choke, you still have your life ahead of you to FC this song

Best of luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: