PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- 4Qt. Galvanized Bucket
- Wooden bucket
- Leather fire-buckets
- Plastic bucket
- Helicopter bucket
- Buckethead
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Quakmybush  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the Leafs win a Stanley Cup in person
Marry the girl of my dreams
Own a Nissan 350/370z
Start a family and keep my family name going
See the Seahawks win a Superbowl
Visit as many countries as possible (Currently at 12)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like the idea of bucket lists. I just set goals throughout my life that are relevant to me and that are important at that time. There are no specific things I want to have done by the end, or at least not in the sense that I am going to regret never having done something when I die. I guess if I had to make a bucket list right now, it'd have to be:

- not die.

That's all.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new goal, one that gets added every year at about this time (clue: I've just been watching coverage of the London Marathon) - I want to get fit and take up running.

The problems with this goal are seemingly endless, but the most pressing:

1. I'm extremely lazy. Like, the laziest person I've ever known.
2. I hate physical exercise.
3. I'm extremely unfit - quite considerably underweight for my height (think Russell Brand) and completely lacking in any sort of endurance.

...that's quite a lot to overcome. Also, there's nowhere around here that'd be good for training - where I live is packed with tourists in the summer and there's nothing like a park, at least not one that'd be safe for someone to go running or even walking in without some sort of weapon. I don't like the idea of going to a gym (it didn't work out well when I went to the one at university - funny how demoralising it is to be surrounded by the guys from the rugby team!) but I'd have to get over it and get on with it.

So, yeah - I feel like writing about it here will be a good way to spur myself on to actually go and do it. I've been thinking of taking up cycling for a long time now, so it's not as if the whole "go do some exercise you lazy twat" thing is new. It's been done by less healthy people than me - in last year's coverage they highlighted some big fat guy who started his training six months before the marathon by jogging 600 yards from home to the pub...

As for where this fits into a topic about bucket lists: I guess running the London Marathon is a pretty good goal to have.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to run the London Marathon before I die.
I mean it will probably be the cause of death, but yeah.
I'm planning to either do next years or the year afters, just as an incentive to lose weight.
I've spoke to people who ran it last year, and I'm going to have to lose about 3 stone to even entertain the possibility, which sounds a lot, but its perfectly possible in about 6 months with a decent lifestyle change.

/ninja'd by thecaptain. Kind of, lol.
Fuck.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the front page announcement now: "Scorehero duo dominate London Marathon!". Let's do this.

In related news: I might just have persuaded my brother to go running with me. That'll be interesting...

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:

3. I'm extremely unfit - quite considerably underweight for my height (think Russell Brand) and completely lacking in any sort of endurance.

I think I win the underweight for my height award....
6'3".....140-145 pounds....
It's pretty impossible for me to gain weight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHammer417 wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:

Got you beat there I'm afraid. Same height, usually between 125-135 pounds. It's stupid really, I've been to a couple of doctors to see if there's any medical reason why I don't gain weight... apparently there's no reason at all.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't so much have a bucket list as I do a small list of goals for life.

- Get a PhD from an Ivy League (Preferably Yale)
- Be a college professor
- Have a bigger house than the one I've grown up in

Also less importantly
- Beat Hector Hard Mode on Fire Emblem on the GBA

I've been working at this last one since 4th grade... so close.

Also, as far as the weight thing goes, does 99 pounds at 5'8" win?

skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
As for where this fits into a topic about bucket lists: I guess running the London Marathon is a pretty good goal to have.

thecaptainof wrote:
I can see the front page announcement now: "Scorehero duo co-op FC London Marathon!". Let's do this.

Fixed.

A couple things I learned after running mine. You know how Yogi Berra said, "Baseball is 90% mental; the other half is physical?" That's kinda like marathon training. For the six-seven months of training, you're really pushing yourself to limits you never thought you could reach. I ran cross country in high school and I never ran more than 8 miles in a day. The training is really the hardest part. You have to constantly tell yourself to keep going, no matter how much it hurts. I was on the brink of hitting the wall during one of my long runs, and I ended having to walk/drag myself the last two miles, but I had to finish. If you train correctly, the race itself is relaxing and fun. And I can't tell you how cool it was to finish the last half of a mile with hundreds of people cheering and the Freebird solo playing at max volume!

The other thing is the amount of support you'll receive. A lot of people would inquire and comment about my training and really wanted me to succeed. I also wrote my name on my shirt, and I got A LOT of support during the race. Every time I'd run by a group of people they'd yell, "Go Pat! You can do it!!" etc. I had "Run for Dad" on the back of my shirt and a couple people (complete strangers) ran past me and said, "Your dad would be very proud of you." Everyone wants you to succeed, and its a great boost of confidence.

Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Got you beat there I'm afraid. Same height, usually between 125-135 pounds. It's stupid really, I've been to a couple of doctors to see if there's any medical reason why I don't gain weight... apparently there's no reason at all.

5'11 111 lbs. Body type is mostly genetic. For people like us to gain weight, we need to gain more adipose tissue, which isn't possible. We simply don't have the storage capacity to gain weight.
youhas  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have a surplus of adipose tissue which I will be happy to barter away for whatever you happen to have an obvious surplus of. Marmite or something, I dunno.

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
I don't really like the idea of bucket lists. I just set goals throughout my life that are relevant to me and that are important at that time. There are no specific things I want to have done by the end, or at least not in the sense that I am going to regret never having done something when I die.

Honestly, I think this boils down to a nomenclature issue more than anything else. I mean, when I think "bucket list", I imagine a conflation of:
- Things where I want to do something at least once, but I need to grow the stones to do it.
- Things where I want to do something, but it will entail copious training / practice / personal improvement to accomplish it.
- Things that are prohibitively rare / expensive / time-consuming actions, where I hope to save up the resources enjoy them at least once.
- Things that are uncommon and beyond the scope of my control, but that I hope to be lucky enough to experience anyway.

None of which strictly entail a sense of loss were you suddenly thrust into a imminent-death situation and unable to accomplish them. Though rather a lot of folks do not have laser-like eyes-on-the-prize focus; writing goals one has down can certainly "bring focus to the noise", if you will. Of all the myriad things you could do in life, it's nice to have an explicitly-stated subset. "These are the things I'm actively striving for - and if I let myself get caught up in selling my dreams short and faffing about with unrelated distractions instead, I'll be disappointed in myself."

For me, do I have a roster of (still to-be-published here) life goals I wish to accomplish? Yes, of course. If I were to see a meteorite screaming across the sky towards my head, apt to be killing me stone dead in 15 seconds' time, would I be swamped with sadness and regret at goals unaccomplished? Naw, not so much. I knew what I was hoping to do; I did as much as I could with the time and resources I'd accrued for myself; beating myself up for a bad roll of the dice serves nobody.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHammer417 wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:

Literally the exact same for me lmao. 6'3", 145 lbs. Built like a house, baby.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
Honestly, I think this boils down to a nomenclature issue more than anything else. I mean, when I think "bucket list", I imagine a conflation of:
- Things where I want to do something at least once, but I need to grow the stones to do it.
- Things where I want to do something, but it will entail copious training / practice / personal improvement to accomplish it.
- Things that are prohibitively rare / expensive / time-consuming actions, where I hope to save up the resources enjoy them at least once.
- Things that are uncommon and beyond the scope of my control, but that I hope to be lucky enough to experience anyway.

None of which strictly entail a sense of loss were you suddenly thrust into a imminent-death situation and unable to accomplish them.

Agreeing with this. I do have a mental list of things I'd like to do before my time is through but the emphasis is definitely on the "like to", they're far from being "must do this otherwise I'll feel like I've failed at life" sort of things. For the record, most of the things on my list fall into the second category quoted above: running a marathon, finally learning to play one of the musical instruments that are gathering dust around here, learning to drive, etc.

Writing it down is kinda helpful - I'm so easily distracted that I forget to do even the simplest of tasks if I don't do it immediately or write it down while I'm thinking of it... and even if I write it down, there's no guarantee that I won't put the piece of paper down somewhere and forget where it is.

(Incidentally: there's no such thing as a surplus of Marmite! On my list of reasons for and against going to live in America, the #1 item on the 'against' list is "I might not have a steady supply of Marmite and good British tea". No joke, no hyperbole. When I come over on holiday, I'm bringing some with me.)

But yeah, on the running thing: the official London Marathon training guide recommends starting out with walking or jogging for 30 minutes four times a week, then build up from there. My current lifestyle doesn't lead me to do that naturally (I'm technically still at university, but I've given it up and am just kicking around at home playing Minecraft and WoW a lot) but getting out walking always makes me feel good so there's no good reason not to try.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndestructibleSD wrote:
TheHammer417 wrote:
thecaptainof wrote:

Literally the exact same for me lmao. 6'3", 145 lbs. Built like a house, baby.
You make me feel like such an outcast. i am very overweight.

5'3" 175 pounds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: