Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Science Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boss1592  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: The Science Thread Reply with quote

hello my fellow scorehero's and heroines

i dont know about you guys, but i love science. so i decided that i would make this thread, for those of you who, like me, just want a place to chat about the wonders of life and the mysteries of the universe. queries, questions, quasar's, quarks and quantum mechanics, feel free to discuss all of it right here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE.

This is quite a broad topic for a thread, and I don't want to pigeonhole the initial discussion into just my favourite areas, so I'll let someone else start. Count on me checking this thread fervently and constantly, though.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have to post here.

Science, fuck yeah. Getting me girls since...

I mean, science, fuck yeah!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
boss1592  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE.

This is quite a broad topic for a thread, and I don't want to pigeonhole the initial discussion into just my favourite areas, so I'll let someone else start. Count on me checking this thread fervently and constantly, though.

it is kinda broad, but i thought "theoretical astrophysics" didnt quite have the same ring to it. i guess i'l kick off with some science news. near the end of may, CERN's large hadron collider managed to create quark-gluon plasma, which is the second most dense matter in the universe, following black holes. we're also getting closer to finding the higgs boson, after this came through a week ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14266358
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
OneStrangePlayer  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
Oh, I have to post here.

Science, fuck yeah. Getting me girls since...

I mean, science, fuck yeah!

It's okay, when you get older you'll figure out that girls start looking for brains or people with impressive careers... looks like you're screwed for either of those

Anyway, back on topic - I just created an account after 2/3 years of inactivity for the sake of this thread

FUCK YEAH SCIENCE

inb4 i dont understand a single thing you guys talk about
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneStrangePlayer wrote:
looks like you're screwed for either of those

Thanks man. Oh and,

OneStrangePlayer wrote:

Same goes for you then, probably.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
OneStrangePlayer  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
OneStrangePlayer wrote:
looks like you're screwed for either of those

Thanks man. Oh and,

OneStrangePlayer wrote:

Same goes for you then, probably.

Highschool science vs University science I think there's a bit of a difference is there not :o

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was going to make a History thread. And maybe a English thread. And while I'm at it, maybe a Math thread. But w/e, you know. :P

Oh, and I know nothing about Science. techmology <3

- Saru is a genius
- BT doesn't exist
- 9001 is fucking paranoid
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Saru786 Wii Friend Code: 5710861160111753
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saru786 wrote:
You know, I was going to make a History thread. And maybe a English thread. And while I'm at it, maybe a Math thread. But w/e, you know. :P

Oh, and I know nothing about Science. techmology <3

There's already a math thread. http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83420

I really enjoy learning about science a lot. I'm more of a math guy, but I really like to just know facts about science. Physics is really interesting, but I certainly don't like being tested on it lol.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subatomic physics is about the only area of science I know literally nothing about. Certainly not an expert on anything else, but I at least try to follow what's happening in most scientific disciplines whether through my course (straight bio) or general research. Quantum and subatomic physics, on the other hand... completely clueless
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science? This is very relevant to my interests.
So, Higgs boson at 2 sigma certainty from CERN? Taking bets on whether it will reach 5 sigma?

I'm gonna say no, when your result doesn't match the GeV range you estimated, and you get 2 disturbances, I'm not sure if it will get all the way to 5 sigma.
Anyway, I'm hoping the LHC causes the Standard model to become totally obsolete so I can say I failed physics because I was a forward thinker, not because I was awful at anything other than decay and standing waves lol.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be being an idiot here, but does sigma in this case indicate stdev or something else entirely? Not gonna lie, I was never any good at stats

EDIT: I really don't want this thread to be locked, can we keep it on topic?
JOE2210 wrote:

Last edited by Yewb on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Qarx  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee! I changed my avatar in celebration of this thread!

Now who's ready to make some science?

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Yippee! I changed my avatar in celebration of this thread!

Now who's ready to make some science?

Ok now, who's gonna play Caroline?
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science has always interested me, specifically anything to do with Astronomy. Stars, Planets, Galaxies, Clusters, Comets, etc.

Sadly, I don't understand most of the technical stuff that is related to that field. Which sucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: