ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Unable to start my computer after installing a new video card.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Unable to start my computer after installing a new video car Reply with quote

Since my computer had no video card, and because I wanted to get a few PC games, I decided to go out and buy one. With a friend we read the card's manual and prpceed to install it. Once that is done, I plug my monitor into the DVI output of the card and start the computer. Everything seems to work fine, except for the resolution which, was smaller than usual, but I guess that was normal since I hadn't installed the drivers yet. So I put in the Installation CD that came with the card and followed the instructions to install the drivers. Once that is done, it asks me to restart the computer, so I click yes. While restarting, the thing froze on the loading pafe that comes before the "User Choice page". I tried restarting it again but it would never get past that point. I tried removing the video card, after which the computer was able to start. I removed the drivers from my computer and tried reinstalling the card, but now I can't even get the computer to boot once in order to reinstall the drivers, it freezes at the same place everytime.

I don't really know what is happening. I'm thinking maybe it could be a problem with my power supply not being good enough to power the card or something. If that's not it, then I am clueless. Here are some infos that might be useful for those that could help me:

Motherboard: Intel DG35EC
Power supply: CoolerMaster RS-460-PMSR-A3
Video card: Zotac GeForce GT430

Thanks for helping if you can!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver that ships with a video card is almost always out of date by the time it reaches the consumer. You should consider getting the latest one from the manufacturer's website.
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the thing is, I can't even boot Windows with the card installed on my motherboard now, so I can't reinstall the drivers/install thoae from the website. And if I try to install them before plugging the video card in, it tells me that it doesn't detect any harware compatible with the drivers and it won't install them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take the card out, uninstall the driver and install the latest one? If it never boots when the card is in, make sure you're not missing something like any additional power cables the card may or may not require (I've seen video cards that make you connect a mini molex cable for additional power). If nothing flat out works, call the product support because it may be a faulty card.
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Remove the video card from the computer, boot back into Windows using the onboard.

2. Remove all drivers on the computer for the video card you put in.

3. Download the video card drivers, for the card off of the company's website.

4. Install video card.

5. Run the drivers you downloaded.

6. Game away!
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
1. Remove the video card from the computer, boot back into Windows using the onboard.

2. Remove all drivers on the computer for the video card you put in.

3. Download the video card drivers, for the card off of the company's website.

4. Install video card.

5. Run the drivers you downloaded.

6. Game away!

Thanks for the suggestion! Internet just came back today, so I could try using the Drivers from the company's website, but it didn't work either, because I still couldn't boot the computer with the card installed into my computer. (Still froze on the same screen as before.) And it won't let me run the drivers without the card installed on the computer. So unless I missed something while removing the previous drivers...

Here are some pictures:

Screen where it freezes everytime
What's written under my power supply. (I used Paint to write some values over the picture, because we couldn't really see anything.)

And here are the minimum system requirements specified on the side off the video card's box:

-PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0-compliant motherboard with one dual width x16 graphics slot.
-Minimum 300W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 22A)*
-Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon XP class processor or higher.
-200 MB available hard disk space.
-1 GB memory (2GB recommended)
-Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP Operating System (32 or 64-bit)
-CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive

*Note: Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor.

So, as far as I know, the only thing I might be lacking in this is the current rating of 22A for the 12V, which is apparently 18A for my power supply. Could that be it? :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

312 watts isn't particularly high, but you could be right about the amount of juice available for 12v. If you don't have another PSU to try, you should probably contact the tech support for the card to confirm the requirements. If it's not the PSU's fault, and Windows cannot boot when the card is in (driver installed or otherwise), the card might be faulty.
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
the card might be faulty.

It was lol. After asking help from my brother's friend, who works with computers at his job, he checked around and told me it was probably that, so I got it replaced today at the store and the new one worked right away. :P I also got him to reformat my computer because it was starting to act weird (programs crashing for no apparent reason) so now I have a clean and well updated PC that can play some games, awesome.

Thanks for the help guys!

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Glad it all worked out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: