SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
BigFatBob's Quest to Become Un-BigFat: Week 45
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Youhas;Bob
Weighing once a week is ideal imo, because cutting 500 calories from your diet per day will shave off exactly 1 lb./week if you were at a plateau when you began. Be sure to do it in the morning before breakfast and after your morning pee if possible to keep everything standard, but still be prepared for occasional slightly anomalous results.

Also bear in mind that healthier food does not necessarily mean lower calorie food. Things like rice and pasta can sneak up with surprisingly high calorie counts, whereas things like ketchup might be lower than you'd expect. Calories in vs. calories out is the only thing that will ultimately determine your weight change, so bear that in mind.
laupow17  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also trying to lose weight. I am not terribly overweight, but I have about 20 pounds to lose to become thin again. I've gone from 170 to 165 in the past 3-4 weeks weeks, but my goal is 150 and I know the last 10 are going to be a bitch.

What really is helping me though is actually counting the calories I'm eating. I've heard about 75% of weight loss is tied in to diet (exercise being the other 25%), and I never realized how many calories I was consuming just from snacking until I kept a tally.

On my android phone, I use a neat little app called Calorie Counter by FatSecret (funny name, I know) that allots how many calories I'm supposed to consume a day (taking into consideration my height, sex, and current weight) so that I can still lose weight, and all I do is punch in the food I ate. The app has a lot of foods already programmed in so all you have to do is search for the food item and it adds it to your daily allotment. It's a great app (super easy to use, intuitive interface). I don't know if the app is available only for android phones, but if you have a smartphone at all, I'm sure you can find a lot of similar apps.
FC 40 Expert GH3X songs [X] #40, Monsters
FC 50 Expert GH3X songs [ ] 49, Pride And Joy
FC 20 GH1X Songs [X] #20, Sharp Dressed Man
FC 25 GH1X Songs [ ] 23, The Breaking Wheel
My Accomplishment Thread
^^Please, please tell me what you think I should go for next! =)

Last edited by laupow17 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Calories in vs. calories out is the only thing that will ultimately determine your weight change, so bear that in mind.

Eh, not exactly. Calories, as listed on food labels, are an archaic unit of heat. Calories are useful because they let you compare the energy content in different types of food (fat, sugar, carbs, protein) in one number. However, your body doesn't process every calorie the same way.

In short, cutting back on calories is good but more than just that you want to make sure the calories you take in are good calories, so avoid fatty and sugary foods mostly.

Also, this hasn't come up yet but I feel like mentioning it anyway: high fructose corn syrup is pretty much identical to cane sugar in the way it's processed by your body. It's unhealthy to have too much of either, but HFCS isn't worse than sugar (as many people seem to believe).

I'll also give a totally serious plug for Weight Watchers here. Even if you don't want to actually pay them to join, you can get most of the relevant info for their diet plans online. Basically it's counting calories, but also including fat, protein and fiber. It's not foolproof but it's better than just counting calories.
Dodongo  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck man, I'll be watching this thread closely. Skipping a day is always tempting, but it's never worth it. Even small caving to temptation will do damage to the psyche, even if it's just a biscuit or something like that. Stick to your plan and you'll do well.

R.I.P. Sikth. We Love You.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Gwylum Wii Friend Code: 429613877062
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newuser1234 wrote:
Pas26 wrote:
You WILL want to, eventually, skip a day. Dont. Skipping one is the first step toward skipping a whole week, then falling back into old habits. +lots of awesome advice

this is definitely the best piece of advice. think about how easy it becomes NOT to do something once you stop. even if you need help getting motivated to exercise one day, just post here and i'm sure someone will be around to help you out Good luck!

When I was training for a marathon, I found have two-three rest days during the week was very beneficial. The workouts varied in intensity, from very long distances to brisk walks. I don't know what the proper method for weight loss is, but if you do try to work out everyday, I would recommend switching up the muscle groups you work on.

Pas26  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
newuser1234 wrote:
Pas26 wrote:
You WILL want to, eventually, skip a day. Dont. Skipping one is the first step toward skipping a whole week, then falling back into old habits. +lots of awesome advice

this is definitely the best piece of advice. think about how easy it becomes NOT to do something once you stop. even if you need help getting motivated to exercise one day, just post here and i'm sure someone will be around to help you out Good luck!

When I was training for a marathon, I found have two-three rest days during the week was very beneficial. The workouts varied in intensity, from very long distances to brisk walks. I don't know what the proper method for weight loss is, but if you do try to work out everyday, I would recommend switching up the muscle groups you work on.

What I actually meant is to not skip training days. Having rest days is important, and you should follow them, but skipping one of your predetermined workout day is bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
What I actually meant is to not skip training days. Having rest days is important, and you should follow them, but skipping one of your predetermined workout day is bad.

I agree with this. I find if I skip a day I'm likely to blow the whole week. I have done two things to help me be more diligent:

1) I have everything I need to train at home (in cases where I do not have the equipment I have substituted other exercises; people who are into design should love working out because there's so many possible choices).

2) I take a "better than nothing" approach; if I don't have the time or just don't feel I can do the full workout, I will pick the 1-2 things I will feel the most guilty about skipping and work those areas.
skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:

Oh, my bad. Yes, Definitely agree with you here. DO NOT skip work out days.

dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus. After reading all of this, it makes me realize that I really need to get into better shape. I'm around 200 lbs, and thats like 30 lbs i gained in a year.
I've been trying to go to my local YMCA to get into shape, but then eventually go "eh, maybe tomorrow". Don't. I realize I should be goin and getting into shape. I've always been built big, but for muscles, not fat.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, because now I am going to start getting into shape. My goal is to lose 50 pounds AT LEAST by summertime. Time to get off my computer and go outside, i guess . Good luck, everyone.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragoninforcer wrote:
Thank you all for sharing your stories, because now I am going to start getting into shape. My goal is to lose 50 pounds AT LEAST by summertime. Time to get off my computer and go outside, i guess . Good luck, everyone.

You want to weigh... 150? I really hope you're really short, otherwise that just seems like being a little UNDERweight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
dragoninforcer wrote:

You want to weigh... 150? I really hope you're really short, otherwise that just seems like being a little UNDERweight.

I'm 5'5 and I'm in high school. Wii Fit called me obese, so 150 is pretty average for me.
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
dragoninforcer wrote:

And losing 50lbs in just over 5 months seems like a bit of a Tall order

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever happens happens. I'm just trying to lose weight.
bclare  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:

To be fair, I weigh about 130 so if I got to 150 I would be getting tubby, or very muscular. I'm 5'8" or so.

Clearly I'm not exactly someone who needs to lose weight, but I've also decided to commit recently to eating a bit more healthily, by cutting down on candy and soda.
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragoninforcer wrote:
Wii Fit called me obese,
Wii Fit also doesn't know shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: