Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A Sticky Situation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: A Sticky Situation Reply with quote

Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I have a problem (not looking for relationship advice, keep reading), I've never been involved in anything like this and I am looking to just get opinions/advice etc. A bit of background, I'm 21, she's 17 (age of consent), we've been dating for 7 months now. Okay, here's the problem ... her mother. She is an overprotective, irrational, disrespectful, manipulative, lazy, and most importantly, abusive mother. Today marks the 5th time I've gone to pick my girlfriend up from her house, and she's in tears because her mother beat the shit out of her. It's getting progressively worse, as today was the first time I saw legit. marks on her. The mother also did it in front of other family members. Now I know what you're thinking, call social services. My girlfriend's step dad is a cop, and the mother abuses his power to get what she wants. (Yes it pisses me off too that he doesn't step in and stop her from abusing my gf). She has told me to my face, "call social services, she'll be sent right back here where she'll get punished even more". My girlfriend turns 18 in July and would like absolutely NOTHING more than to get out of the hell that she calls "home". My girlfriend is supposed to go to the community college a half hour away. She wanted to dorm there ... the mother said no, because "I'm your mother and what I say goes". Not a real reason like "We can't afford it" (which would be horse shit, because both parents get 6 figures). We're also thinking that when she turns 18 to get an apartment. Problem is if she moves out, her mom may stop paying for everything, which would also eliminate any insurance she may have as well as not paying for college. So it's just, my girlfriend doesn't deserve to keep living in the house and getting abused. It's hard to get her a decent job that would help pay (at least part of) an appt. since she's still 17.

I'm really trying to just think of a way where we can get her out of there, and still find a way to at least get some financial help towards college and possibly the appt. This is a situation that I've never experienced before, so I was wondering if anyone had any similar situations or could provide some insight. I'm gonna go ahead and say there's probably more details that I could add, but I tried to keep this straight to the point for everyone.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way she could live at your house, or would "Crazy bitch" mother come looking for her there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLKDragon wrote:
Is there any way she could live at your house, or would "Crazy bitch" mother come looking for her there?

Yes she would come looking for her, and I currently live with my parents so that isn't really an option right now either =/ Even though she spends most of the time at my house trying to stay away from her own. If she got an apartment I would kinda move in (not fully as I need to maintain my health/dental/etc. insurance) and help pay the bills somewhat. Our main concern is if she moves out like that, that her mom may not pay college tuition.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a last resort for college, she could always take the loan route. But everything you said points to she needs to leave, and fast. The sooner you hook her up with an apartment (and possibly a job if she doesn't have one), the better for you both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLKDragon wrote:
As a last resort for college, she could always take the loan route. But everything you said points to she needs to leave, and fast. The sooner you hook her up with an apartment (and possibly a job if she doesn't have one), the better for you both.

This. And I would recommend that if she deals with this again, she should go to the hospital and make a case out of it.
dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a local cop can control things like this.

Honestly, I would call social services, but considering the predicament you're in, I don't really know. Its impossible to reason with a crazy bitch :/
bclare  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragoninforcer wrote:
I don't think a local cop can control things like this.

Yeah. Unless he's the fucking sheriff of the county, you can absolutely go over his head. You and the gf need to talk to social services, explain to them the situation and get as high up on the chain of command as possible, as quickly as possible.

If she moves out and gets an apartment, her mother would still know (or figure out) where she lives, especially if she's still depending on her parents in any way for finances, like for school. Moving out is just avoiding the problem, that won't make it go away.

Also, you said she can't move in with you because you live with your parents. Have you discussed this with your parents? It's reasonable to assume that your parents wouldn't automatically be okay with your 18 year old girlfriend moving in, but do they understand what her home situation is like? If so, then they may be more willing to let her move in, show them that it would be for her benefit, not just so you can get laid or something.
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently her mom apologized today, and by apologized, I was told she cried for two hours and apologizing. I was at work while this happened so from the brief things I was told, she apologized, admitted she was wrong, admitted that she has an anger management problem, and promised to start treating my gf like an adult. Personally, I don't believe it. I have about as much faith in it of the bills going to the playoffs next year, which is, it's possible, but I really don't see it happening. This was the first time I was told that she had apologized so, maybe that's a plus side? I don't know. I'll just have to play it by ear for now and I'll update with more when more stuff happens.

RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it with a grain of salt. Her mom may just go back to the old ways, so always be on the lookout.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with RLK, more than likely she'll slip into her old ways again. Acknowledging that she has control and anger management issues but not doing anything more than saying "I won't do it again" works about as well as throwing a paper towel over a fire.

And even if she does miraculously change her ways I'd still suggest doing everything in your power to try moving her out of there over time, she doesn't need to be in that environment.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll slip back. People do not change who they are just like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried talking to the mother one on one about this? That may help something. But yeah I'll echo everyone else in that, while her apology may be sincere, it doesn't change what she's done.
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's an update.

Today her parents surprised her with a PS3 and Skyrim, and also bought her little sister an Ipod 4.

To me, this feels like they're trying to buy her love, she kinda suspects that as well. Also we're both kind of annoyed that they can just kinda shell out money randomly for those kinds of things, but "can't afford for her to live 30 minutes away at college".

Those are just my thoughts.

Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:
Well here's an update.

Today her parents surprised her with a PS3 and Skyrim, and also bought her little sister an Ipod 4.

To me, this feels like they're trying to buy her love, she kinda suspects that as well. Also we're both kind of annoyed that they can just kinda shell out money randomly for those kinds of things, but "can't afford for her to live 30 minutes away at college".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ich35JX4zPc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:

Ya that's a rather obvious ploy to say the least. I would like to reiterate the point earlier about getting her out of their the first chance you get. It seems like she's now trying to be her friend rather than her mother (not that it sounded like she had the first idea about parenting in the first place) and that's not going to do anyone any good either.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: