Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Photographic Childhood Memory Anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Photographic Childhood Memory Anyone? Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone else has a condition similar to mine. Well, if you want to call it a condition. I don't have a photographic memory as in remembering everything I read or see, but as for every day to day living, my brain seems to keep it all in a metal box. I seriously remember days that most people probably wouldn't i.e. taking a bath in the sink as a baby, weeks of when I was 2, a huge portion from when I was 3, and then just about every day when I was 4 until now.

I obviously don't remember EVERY day, but I can remember quite a bit and in great detail such as weather, clothes being worn, who was there, etc etc. I even tried to test myself one day and pulled out random dates from as far back as 1988 to see how well I could remember. To my surprise (some dates took a little longer than normal to remember), I could remember either the date, or at least the week in which that date took place. I think there might have been one or two days where I could only remember what happened in that month.

I was just curious if anyone else on these boards had this. My step-dad envies me because he can't hardly remember a single day of his childhood My brothers really can't either. My mom remembers a lot, but she said not even close to what I can recall (like the layout of the house we lived in until I was two....this blew her away).

So, share SH
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why this isn't in the rant thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm insanely jealous tbh I just remember a few details here and there.
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard somewhere that it was basically impossible to remember anything from before the age of 3 or so? Just wondering if there's any other possible explanations for your memories, or if you really do have that good of memory...
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
Davers  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
I thought I heard somewhere that it was basically impossible to remember anything from before the age of 3 or so? Just wondering if there's any other possible explanations for your memories, or if you really do have that good of memory...

There are special circumstances from what I've read. I remember so much from when I was two, it's unreal. And the reason I know I was two was because of the fact that it all happened in the house my parents built and then moved out of before I turned 3. I can literally rattle off a good handful of events that took place there (which includes the sink bath but I honestly don't have a clue how old I was, I'm assuming 2 even though that seems old). There have been cases where people remember a lot of their childhood like this, but I've never heard of anything under the age of two being able to be recalled.

It's quite interesting. I honestly believe that my memory is what causes me to dream non-stop when I fall asleep. Multiple, vivid dreams every night. And lots of times, memories of OLD will make an appearance. Just my subconscious bringing it out I guess. I didn't have a bad childhood. My parents were absolutely great to me. So dreaming of old stuff like that isn't from suppressed bad memories. But it might be what helps keep it all alive in my head.

Maybe I should go see a doctor about it and ask them their opinion.

EDIT: Did a quick read on early memories. Says that most people can't remember before the age of 2.5 years due to the brain not being fully developed. And most cases of people that do remember between 2.5-3 years, remember because they were told about an event and formed a false memory from it. I really don't think that my memories are false since what I do recall would never be something anyone would tell me and cause me to create a false memory from it. Could be wrong though. But the fact that I can recall the layout of the house (this was a few years ago when me and my mom were talking about it) is still pretty impressive in my eyes. I definitely need to study up on this a little more.
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
alexhaz64 wrote:

There are special circumstances from what I've read. I remember so much from when I was two, it's unreal. And the reason I know I was two was because of the fact that it all happened in the house my parents built and then moved out of before I turned 3. I can literally rattle off a good handful of events that took place there (which includes the sink bath but I honestly don't have a clue how old I was, I'm assuming 2 even though that seems old). There have been cases where people remember a lot of their childhood like this, but I've never heard of anything under the age of two being able to be recalled.

It's quite interesting. I honestly believe that my memory is what causes me to dream non-stop when I fall asleep. Multiple, vivid dreams every night. And lots of times, memories of OLD will make an appearance. Just my subconscious bringing it out I guess. I didn't have a bad childhood. My parents were absolutely great to me. So dreaming of old stuff like that isn't from suppressed bad memories. But it might be what helps keep it all alive in my head.

Maybe I should go see a doctor about it and ask them their opinion.

EDIT: Did a quick read on early memories. Says that most people can't remember before the age of 2.5 years due to the brain not being fully developed. And most cases of people that do remember between 2.5-3 years, remember because they were told about an event and formed a false memory from it. I really don't think that my memories are false since what I do recall would never be something anyone would tell me and cause me to create a false memory from it. Could be wrong though. But the fact that I can recall the layout of the house (this was a few years ago when me and my mom were talking about it) is still pretty impressive in my eyes. I definitely need to study up on this a little more.

That's pretty insane. I have one memory from when I was around 2/3 that I can recall and others from when I was 4-5 that I can remember with pretty decent detail. Usually it's just dates that impacted me somehow though.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Photographic Childhood Memory Anyone? Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
Just curious if anyone else has a condition similar to mine. Well, if you want to call it a condition. I don't have a photographic memory as in remembering everything I read or see, but as for every day to day living, my brain seems to keep it all in a metal box. I seriously remember days that most people probably wouldn't i.e. taking a bath in the sink as a baby, weeks of when I was 2, a huge portion from when I was 3, and then just about every day when I was 4 until now.

I obviously don't remember EVERY day, but I can remember quite a bit and in great detail such as weather, clothes being worn, who was there, etc etc. I even tried to test myself one day and pulled out random dates from as far back as 1988 to see how well I could remember. To my surprise (some dates took a little longer than normal to remember), I could remember either the date, or at least the week in which that date took place. I think there might have been one or two days where I could only remember what happened in that month.

I was just curious if anyone else on these boards had this. My step-dad envies me because he can't hardly remember a single day of his childhood My brothers really can't either. My mom remembers a lot, but she said not even close to what I can recall (like the layout of the house we lived in until I was two....this blew her away).

So, share SH
I've heard of it. I saw a few people that have that condition on TV a while back on one of those shows like Dateline, maybe it was Dateline. I don't remember, so clearly I don't have this condition lol.. The people they showed had it even more than you, they could remember absolutely 100% every single thing they did and saw on every day with no gaps at all. There was one guy who was a sports fan and they would just pick random days from decades ago and he would not only list off the scores but individual plays in each game in order.

Most of them actually hated it and thought it a curse. You might think its nice to remember good things, but its much worse not to be able to forget bad things.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think tragic things or some big event happening when you're around 2-3 would mean you would remember it right? Not for me. =P Apparently when I was 2 I tripped and almost bit my tongue in half. I don't remember this at all. Not one detail of where it happened, how, or anything. All I have is the scar on my tongue. I definitely don't have whatever you have Davers. XD

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Ninmi  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
Apparently when I was 2 I tripped and almost bit my tongue in half.

God, I can only imagine the amount of blood from that. Must've been a horrorshow.

I on, the other hand, have the very opposite of a photographic memory, as my dad likes to call it "teflon memory". It really bugs me that I can barely remember anything post 5-ish years ago. And it annoys me how everyone downplays their memory, and because of that, no one takes me seriously when I say I really do have a terrible memory. Short term and long term. And if I do remember something from my childhood, I can't tell if it was a dream or an actual memory.
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Photographic Childhood Memory Anyone? Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I've heard of it. I saw a few people that have that condition on TV a while back on one of those shows like Dateline, maybe it was Dateline. I don't remember, so clearly I don't have this condition lol.. The people they showed had it even more than you, they could remember absolutely 100% every single thing they did and saw on every day with no gaps at all. There was one guy who was a sports fan and they would just pick random days from decades ago and he would not only list off the scores but individual plays in each game in order.

Most of them actually hated it and thought it a curse. You might think its nice to remember good things, but its much worse not to be able to forget bad things.

I don't think that's quite what he's talking about. I think the term "photographic memory" doesn't really apply here, as he just remembers things from his childhood really well. iirc the term photographic memory is even being debated as something that exists, as true photographic memory is so rare. I doubt Davers could draw an exact replica of his kitchen, even if he remembers bathing in the sink, and the layout of the house. Just seems like an extremely good memory in the general sense.

That being said, I'm still skeptical that your memories are entirely real, Davers. :p I'm sure you'd be amazed at how much memory can be constructed from things outside the actual experience. Like maybe seeing pictures from your childhood gave you a picture of each room in the house, and that combined with vague childhood memories created an actual memory of the blueprint of your house? I'm probably just making stuff up for all I know, but even if that was the case, I think any memory from that age is impressive, regardless of how vague or vivid it is. :p

EDIT: Ok I reread the OP and I think most of what I just said can be ignored. Way too tired and stressed to think atm. -_-
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earliest thing I can remember from my life is me waking up on a gray couch in my old house sometime in spring of '96 (I was two years old at the time). A gray corduroy couch. And I remember my father leaving for work in his police uniform since he used to be a lieutenant at the time. My mother had brought me some cheerios and I was watching Blue's Clues on the television in my living room. That's not what mystifies me though. It leaves me wondering: Where was my mind before that, and what was I thinking of? Was everything just black? Where was my life before life?

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
You'd think tragic things or some big event happening when you're around 2-3 would mean you would remember it right? Not for me. =P Apparently when I was 2 I tripped and almost bit my tongue in half. I don't remember this at all. Not one detail of where it happened, how, or anything. All I have is the scar on my tongue. I definitely don't have whatever you have Davers. XD

I had a blocked tear duct when I was a few days old. They unplugged it with a metal wire up my tear duct. Mom thinks they did it to me awake, because I was screaming.

Extremely glad I don't remember that.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious, davers, do you remember how old you were when you first started questioning your own existence? like, why you're here and what it was before you were born? your memory was clearly developed early on, so it would be interesting to know if you contemplated these ideas at such a young age that it was relatively shortly after you were actually born.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f4phantom2500 wrote:
curious, davers, do you remember how old you were when you first started questioning your own existence? like, why you're here and what it was before you were born? your memory was clearly developed early on, so it would be interesting to know if you contemplated these ideas at such a young age that it was relatively shortly after you were actually born.

For some reason, shortly after my little brother was born (I was three), I started having these thoughts that this was my second life. lol Apparently, in my mind, I had lived another life up until I was 18 and died. I very much recall telling people this too. Of course, at my age, people probably just thought it was cute and funny. I never really started wondering about my existence until I was in Kindergarten. I never really voiced my opinions, but they did exist when I would lie in bed at night. Matter of fact, my brain was just as active back then as it is now when I'm lying in bed.

Also, I was just thinking about this the other day, but I was trying to remember when it was that I realized my older brother was mentally handicapped. He's not obviously handicapped in the fact that he's crippled or anything like that. He's just mentally slow. Most people would never guess anything was wrong (we have to tell people because sometimes he does act weird and people freak out about that). My mom didn't explain it to me until about the 2nd grade. But I remember realizing he was slow before I was in school. I was more or less the "big brother" to both brothers (and still am). So there's a possibility that this kind of responsibility at such a young age helped develop my mind more quickly and maturely.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
For some reason, shortly after my little brother was born (I was three), I started having these thoughts that this was my second life. lol Apparently, in my mind, I had lived another life up until I was 18 and died. I very much recall telling people this too. Of course, at my age, people probably just thought it was cute and funny. I never really started wondering about my existence until I was in Kindergarten. I never really voiced my opinions, but they did exist when I would lie in bed at night. Matter of fact, my brain was just as active back then as it is now when I'm lying in bed.

that's pretty intense, man. there have been times when i recall what felt like a forgotten memory, but i eventually realized that there's no way it was part of my life. but i knew it was more than just a dream; it felt like thinking of the "good ol' days", only it couldn't have been my life. for example, i remember being in this home, it felt like "my" home, the vibe i get from it is very sherlock holmes-ey. i can recall the general layout, and the general appearance of the main room. it's trashed, much like my room now usually is, only this mess is from papers everywhere. like someone {me?) had been doing research and just left documents strewn about. there's very much a red velvet theme going on, gold (colored?) victorian style chairs...and i get the distinct impression that the time period is sometime in the mid-late 19th century; i'm not quite sure if there was electric lighting or i simply had quality lamps, but there was no tv because it did not exist. it's probably nothing but if nothing else it's fun to think about.

Quote:
Also, I was just thinking about this the other day, but I was trying to remember when it was that I realized my older brother was mentally handicapped. He's not obviously handicapped in the fact that he's crippled or anything like that. He's just mentally slow. Most people would never guess anything was wrong (we have to tell people because sometimes he does act weird and people freak out about that). My mom didn't explain it to me until about the 2nd grade. But I remember realizing he was slow before I was in school. I was more or less the "big brother" to both brothers (and still am). So there's a possibility that this kind of responsibility at such a young age helped develop my mind more quickly and maturely.

possibly, but it sounds like that event was a result of your development, not the other way around.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: