Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
"You're going to be dead in about six weeks. Sorry about that."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCBetz  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have any children of my own or any significant other, and apart from a few thousand dollars in my savings account I really don't have much in the way of material possessions to worry about. So writing a will and making sure my possessions end up in the "right hands" wouldn't be a very pertinent issue for me, personally. Also, as of right now I don't have very many well defined personal goals or desires in mind so traveling around every which way and/or fulfilling numerous items on some sort of "bucket list" isn't too high on my list of priorities either.

I am pretty close with my family and my small circle of friends, so I would spend the majority of my time just hanging out with these people and whatnot. I'd probably take the time to write out a long letter thanking my family and friends for everything, and to try and console them and just make sure they don't worry too much about me (I'm not sure how successful I would be on that last part, but I'd give it my best try).

I'm not really the type of person who would plan a big or elaborate gathering, and being the introverted person I am who enjoys solitude, I might get a little tired of everyone after a while and desire to be alone. If that happened I could see myself traveling out to a secluded part of the western United States and enjoying some quality alone time for a while out in the open country. I would, however, make sure to get back home before I passed away because I would much rather die surrounded by the people I care about as opposed to dying alone.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really interesting, seeing how everybody would react to such a thing - some in ways very much in line with how I'd imagine my own actions, some fantastically divergent. Thanks to those who've commented; I look forward to others' takes on the matter as well.

f4phantom2500 wrote:
hmm, interesting...also a tad worrisome...i hope this isn't a thinly veiled confide...

Not to the best of my knowledge, no. If I turn out to be actually dying at some point, I'll attempt to keep everyone in the loop. (Also: "meditate with Buddhist monks; also, nail random chicks" is one of the more LOL-worthy sets of juxtaposed sentences I've seen in a while.)

PiemanLK wrote:
Wilson? Is that you?

Ha. This is one of those hypothetical situations I've punted around for years, but I knew someone would go in the "House"-related direction with it. Thank you for not disappointing, The Internet! (For what it's worth, having five months instead of six weeks makes this a really different question for me. But I digress.)

CamelTower wrote:
Plus, I guess personally I'd find out what happens after one dies, so I'd at least be discovering one mystery of existence.

That is one of the few silver linings of the whole death process, agreed. Whether there's a wackadoo afterlife or eternal nothingness or a "Please Insert One Token to Continue" message, hell, at least I'd know, even if I couldn't confer that knowledge upon anyone. And knowing is half the battle!

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take all my money out of my savings account, which is like 10k or some shit, and I would go to Vegas, and party as much as i could. I would try drugs that I would never think of trying now, which is like anything since I don't do them now. I'd just have a good time. Try to pick up as many chicks as possible since who cares if i get rejected because i'll be dead soon! And of course spend time with family a bit. And do that Carlin thing, cause that is badass.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you saying you'd write a letter/try and hurriedly get something done: Why not start now? It never hurts to be prepared for that sort of thing now, rather than at the 11th hour.

As for myself? That is an interesting question. I'd probably spend a week or so getting to grips with it, and letting the appropriate people know, although I probably would only tell my parents/brother. (no need to let my friends worry until the actual event).

The second week would be dedicated to listening to all my favourite albums/playing all my favourite games one last time.

The third week would be me attempting to see all my old friends as soon as possible and just generally having a good "last supper", as it were. (these weeks are kinda interchangeable)

The fourth week would be just wrapping up my final rites/penning a letter explaining my actions/motives. And I'd tell my brother all my passwords/important information, go outside (or make a trip to the Aurora Borealis depending how much I can scrounge together for it), watch a beautiful sunset, smile, place a gun in my mouth, and end it all. I'm not living those last two weeks as painfully and sadly as they will be. I'd much rather be remembered for who I was when I was alive, not as I was when I was dying.

Or maybe I'd be too cowardly to do it, who knows?
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Hobo111  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see:

I'd only tell parents and one or two friends. (Not like there's much more to tell <_<) My stuff would probably go to said parents and friends. I DEFINITELY would die in my own home, and not a hospital, I just can't stand those places. I'd probably spend most of my time writing a novel that can be published and give my parents some income. When not writing my novel or will, I'd be playing Rock Band if possible, to FC those pesky songs that I still need to do. Don't judge me, it's not like I have anything else to do! I'd also like to move out of my parent's house. And just for one last prank, when I would be on the brink of death I'd call Domino's, order a large pizza, and the delivery man/gal would find my dead body with a $10 in my hand. (If that wouldn't work, I'd play either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls when I died, and when I finally kicked the bucket, the in-game character would be killed, and YOU DIED would show up on the screen.) My death would be reported, my family would come and find my will, requesting that my body be either A: Thrown in the river, or B: Cremated. (Don't want to take up a plot of land for eternity!) I'd like for possibly no one minus family to attend my funeral, but obviously they'll probably invite everyone I've ever met, because "I deserve more than that." Actually, I'm supposing that they'll probably ignore most the things I put in my will, chalking up some of the more weird things (like giving $6.66 to one of my friends, who I've joked about being Satan multiple times) to me being batshit crazy. That's about all I can think of.

oh yeah also I would really like to listen to a vinyl of The New Romance before I died
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had lovers or enemies, my response would be different.

I would spend the first four weeks writing mercilessly 12-16 hours a day in an effort to create the most perfect novel I was capable of. There would be some underlying theme, perhaps something I wished society would become more aware of, or more attentive to, or militant against. Perhaps it would be the sense of entitlement that ultimaely polarizes our heirarchy of social classes, lending ever more wealth and power to those who view the difference as negligible in proportion. Then again, maybe it would be some Breakfast of Champions style satire of human folly, indicating our foolishness simply by describing us in a manner unbiased even by human experience.
Whatever it was, though, I would pour everything into it, with constant revisions. Then, during the last couple weeks, as my life was fading, I would set up such things as a proper will, and spend the last of my time perhaps watching some films or playing some video games I'd never had the time for. Once my time was drawing near, I would always rest with the manuscript right beside me or on my chest, in a sheet of plastic to protect it from any blood or vomit that might accidentally fly its way.
Of course there's no way to guarantee that the novel would be great, but it would sure as hell be the best thing I'd ever written... and it would spread. Once the story got out that someone was found dead with a fresh manuscript in their hands, everyone would want to read it. So maybe, if I was very careful in the execution of the plan and even more careful in the actual writing process, I would have planted an idea. And that's essentially my plan to make some small difference in the world.
Of course, it could all fail and I could die nameless, having never made a change... but that was a given from the start.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
(Also: "meditate with Buddhist monks; also, nail random chicks" is one of the more LOL-worthy sets of juxtaposed sentences I've seen in a while.)

bahaha, nice. i have no intention of foregoing the temptations of the flesh, no matter how enlightened i become ;).

here's how i'd see it going:

MONKS: we can show you: kung fu, enlightenment, celibacy

ME: well those first 2 sound pretty good...

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
The-B.O.D.  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh in a weird way I would be relieved. It'd relieve me of any chance of going on to live a life of failure and regret, and would allow me six weeks of time where I would lose all long-term responsibilities.
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
Maybe play through Final Fantasy IV one last time

You have the letters in the wrong order, you mean play through FFVI one last time .
sukergod  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MehPlusRawr wrote:
sukergod wrote:
Maybe play through Final Fantasy IV one last time

You have the letters in the wrong order, you mean play through FFVI one last time .

Shit, yeah I do actually. Id marry Celes if I could......dont know how well that would work out though
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Japan and play this game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakYOsbEyR8&feature=related
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-B.O.D. wrote:
tbh in a weird way I would be relieved. It'd relieve me of any chance of going on to live a life of failure and regret, and would allow me six weeks of time where I would lose all long-term responsibilities.

I don't think that's terribly outlandish. I mean, that's more or less some weird bastardized version of how I felt when I became unemployed. All these issues, all these quiet long-term weights saddled upon you, all these assumptions about what roles and orders you'd need to fulfill in the future, they all just kind of went sproing! - evaporated into the dust, liberation dumped into your lap. It's cathartic, on some level, not having to address The Future in any substantive way. To wit:

There's a girl I'm sweet on, but whom I don't really pursue because it has the potential to make every interaction within that social group awkward until the end of time. But if the end of time (from my vantage) is six weeks from now, and my imminent demise is going to rock that social boat infinitely harder anyway? What the hell: might as well give it a shot! (Six weeks of being in that shmoopy doe-eyed honeymoon phase of a relationship sounds so much more appealing to me than just about anything else, up to and including accruing as many pity-sex partners as possible.)

I'd definitely tell anyone and everyone I knew about my impending death. You never know what sorts of catharsis you can give people or vice versa, where they want to profess secret feelings for you, or apologize for something you'd long since forgotten that they said or did years back, or repay debts they feel they owe. Anything that reduces the psychological burdens on myself and those close to me has to be a mark in the positive column in my book.

I don't have anywhere I'd particularly care to be or any experience I feel compelled to fulfill. (My history of life experiences already reads like some improbable back-story you'd assign to the wacky next-door neighbor in a B-grade sitcom.) Oh, sure, there'd be dribs and drabs of that, just for the hell of it. Eat at a high-fallutin' steakhouse and order a cosmically expensive bottle of wine! Go to a fancy-dan restaurant from some culture I'm super-unfamiliar with and order the most terrifying thing on the menu! Get a ticket for one of those aggressively close right-behind-home-plate seats at a baseball game, where you can see yourself on TV all game! Bring a girl to the parking lot at the top of a local summit to make out with, 'cuz lord knows I didn't get to in high school! And so on. But my savings are robust, my tastes of opulence are relatively muted, and it's not like a have a wife or child to tend to; money would be pretty much a non-factor.

So by and large, I'd just spend as much time with friends and family as possible. I have almost no family and my friends are cast far and wide, so there would be logistical issues. Though at least my friends generally tend to be pretty clustered, so there'd probably be a lot of "OK, I'm going to be in City X tonight, so anyone who cares to say goodbye, you know where to be!" goings-on. (Like some sort of potentially morose band tour!) But at the end of the day, I pretty much want to just spend four weeks in party mode: getting drunk and playing Rock Band, being shown my friends' favorite movies whilst eating comically huge burritos - that sort of thing. Enjoying my remaining time with gusto. I richly enjoy spending time in the company of those whose who enjoy my presence.

I suppose I'd need to deal with explicitly penning a will at some point. I guess I'd put out a call to arms if anybody wanted anything in particular for sentimental reasons - family, then close friends, then more-distant friends being the pecking order. (Hey, if you want a semi-flaky GH3 Les Paul to mount on a wall to remember me by for whatever reason, it's not like I'm one to say no. I'll sign it with one of those industrial silver-ink pens and everything.) And you never know what people will want or deem memorable - "in my darkest hour, you helped mock Thir13en Ghosts with me, and it turned my life around, so if I could have your copy of the DVD...." I'd also kind of like to bequeath my XBOX Live account to someone, let me leave a stipend behind, and continue to be a DLC whore after my death, Tomb of the Unknown Rocker / Dread Pirate Roberts style, for my local consortium of friends to enjoy. That's the dumbest legacy I can think of leaving behind off the top of my head. Outside of that: enjoy this tragic windfall, Mom! Use things, sell things, do whatever you want! I will not care, on account of being dead! Please try to retire early!

(Seriously, I have so much stuff. After a brief-but-awesome list of objectively valuable holdings - hundreds of ounces of precious metals! a collection of certified rare coins! the aforementioned DLC-to-the-gunnels XBOX! - it turns into a slurry of semi-random physical possessions in a hurry. My aces-grade TiVo, my ION drumset, my still-pretty-badass giant plasma TV: all valuable, on some level, but probably not of any real use to my family, and of severely limited resale value. I apologize in advance to whoever'd have to deal with all this random stuff. I hope there are a number of random-friends takers willing to help anything I own of actual value get distributed hither and yon.)

I would also not especially care what happens to my physical body upon my passing, on account of being dead and all. Donate my body to science! Feed my corpse to bears! Have me taken to a taxidermist to be stuffed, then bring me out as a coat rack at your parties! (That last one has to violate umpteen different laws, but would be cool as shit, and I would lobby hard to let someone try to achieve those ends.)

And yes, there's probably a day to be burned getting my random password-based affairs in order, accumulating the logins to every last email address / forum / brokerage account / investment portfolio / trading house / whatever, such that whomever gets assigned mop-up duties has a slightly easier time of things. I know I've been on the other side of this in the past: "hey, Robert died four months ago, but we didn't figure out how to get access to all his online contacts to spread the word before now; sorry."

Not sure exactly how I'd play out the string during the last two weeks of bed-ridden pain. Probably by closing ranks for a bit: where I still want to have awesome social good times, but only the closest rings of my inner circle get to see me in my deteriorating state. This would probably entail a lot of dippy re-watching of favorite DVDs and things of that ilk. "Youhas fell over stone-dead whilst once again taking in Episode Four of 'Clerks: The Animated Series'" is not the sexiest obituary line going, but eh, I could live with it.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
but eh, I could live with it.
Kinda the point that you don't.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. That's a good question.

I would go to work and do my normal business for two weeks, and not pay any bills. I'd use that paycheck to enjoy the last month that I would have to live. Whether it be just kicking it with friends, or partying hard, trying things I haven't tried yet. I'd spend weekdays playing Atari 2600, trying to beat the Berzerk high score. When I would start to lose my strength, probably within the last week or so, I would see my daughter for the last time (being she still won't remember me, she would only be 7 months old at that point), and knock out my ex for being such a bitch and trying to make my life miserable. I'd get arrested, go to jail a couple days, then end up in the hospital before I die.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a controversial idea for multiple reasons but the general consensus seems to be that dying quickly is preferable to an agonizing descent. I'd thus not rule out the possibility then that instead of toughing my way through the last couple weeks, I could kill two birds with one stone and frame my worst enemy for my death. I'm sure I could be quite convincing.
That said, I have no real enemies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: