ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Need to lose some weight. I need tips.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Need to lose some weight. I need tips. Reply with quote

Alright, so, currently I weigh 195. I've noticed that although my weight has essentially stayed the same for about 2 years, I'm seeing stretch marks appear on my stomach. My size 32 jeans barely fit me, and 34 is feeling a little tighter than it used to. I attempted to diet last year as some of you might recall, but it fell through after around 2-3 weeks. I have a VERY hard time sticking to any kind of diet or work-out routine. Everytime I do this, I end up losing around 10-15 pounds, quit, and gain ALL of it back. I'm sick of knowing i'm overweight, but nothing gives me motivation to fix it. For those of you that are skinny and fit and have worked to get that way, just not naturally having fast metabolisms, any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Should I go back to my old routine (which did actually work out really well at first, basically this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_r6Z2Zm6xs), or do you guys have something better I can try? Is there any way I can really motivate myself to really stick with it? I know the motivation comes from within, but I can't find it. So yeah, please help me out guys!

TL; DR: Read it please, i'd appreciate it.
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly you need to not view fitness as a chore. its a lifestyle choice, meaning it has to be something that you instinctively go to do, like playing video games. the best routine is the one that you will stick to. if you really need insight on motivation, id highly suggest Al Kavadlo's book 'A Zen Approach to Everyday Fitness'

for fat loss, id suggest fairly high intensity cardio and, of course, a good diet. there are 2 benefits to high intensity cardio rather than low intensity cardio. 1. it burns more fat and builds more muscle. 2. it takes less time and is far less boring. ok. i guess that's technically 4 but you get the idea. jumping rope is a great place to start. you want to maintain a brisk pace and ideally keep your legs together and straight. this will maximize the work put on your body and thus tire you out faster and give you better results. swimming is also excellent, especially if you need low impact (bad knees or what have you). sprinting is awesome if you can do it safely. go at 90% effort for about 20 seconds on smooth grass or a track or turf, then walk back, and immediately go again. do this 6~12 times. obviously this is an advanced workout and you should approach it with much caution. jumping jacks are also fantastic, especially low jumping jacks or 'low jacks' will really get your blood pumping.

jogging isn't that great overall, in terms of effort:returns, because its not nearly as intense and will not illicit the same levels of metabolic boosts and thus fat loss. also, it will not initiate the same level of muscular development. however, it can be good for conditioning if you are not ready for more intense stuff.

if you'll notice, the exercises i recommended work largely your legs but also the est of your body either as stabilizers or motivators. that is because when you work more muscles you need more blood flow and oxygen which in turn gives you more metabolic boostsnd thus fat burn. that is why you should at least add a rudimentary strength training regimen for your entire body. it is more efficient to work all of your muscle groups a little than one of them a lot. with that in mind, there are 4 types of exercises to focus on: push, pull, core, and leg. i will list here basic exercises for each one, and direct you to the fitness thread, where in the later pages i outline advanced progression that will challenge anyone.

basic push up (if here are too easy, diamond push ups)
basic pull up (if you can't do these, chin ups, if you can't do those, Australian pull ups aka bodyweight rows)
basic plank (great overall core exercise, mountain climbers are also an excellent basic choice. if you can do them, straight hanging leg raises are also awesome)
prisoner squat (if these are too easy, try Hindu squats and if you really want a good leg workout work ward pistol squats)

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
krisdaschwab912  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellipticals are my favorite weapon of choice, followed by going on really long walks. But what REALLY helped me lose weight in a hurry (I'm down from 232 to 178 in the last year, including at least 30 pounds in the last five months) is to put your food on a budget. I mean this literally. My cheapskate tendencies have caused me to lose weight more than anything else. Add the long walks and other forms of activity to the mix, and I actually look like not shit.
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.intense-workout.com

* Eat more of the right foods and much less of the wrong foods
* Drink lots of water and little/none of everything else
* Stay consistent with eating (eat roughly the same amount every day).

---- 80% of your health/fitness is comprised of your diet so the above should take care of most.

* Do strength training as it will burn fat during workout and after. It will increase your metabolism and your amount of muscle which also burns fat... so it will essentially allow you to burn more fat while doing your every day stuff.
* Do HI-IT cardio (mixture of highs and lows known as High Intensity - Interval Training).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's been attempting this same thing and he said one thing that's really helped in losing weight is eating tons of vegetables. If that's your thing it'd be worth a shot, you can eat a lot with a relatively low calorie intake. Of course couple that with exercise.
Pas26  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to be more active (because you probably know how to eat better already) is probably to find an activity you can do for an extended period of time without getting bored AND that keeps your heart pounding. So far, my personal favorite is to do 5 minutes of jumping rope followed by 1-3 songs on GH/RB drums. The drumming gives you a break from the jumping rope, allowing you to do more of it in a single day, and also helps you relax while keeping your body moving. The important part, like f4 said, is that you dont feel like it's a chore. Strength training is also very good, as it makes your body able to burn more calories once you start doing cardio (stronger legs muscles lead to more burned calories during walks).

That aside, the ultimate way is to find a low fat way to keep you from eating too much. For example, celery take more energy to break down in your body than it gives, effectively making it a negative calorie food. Chewing on this instead of chips will show a LOT in the long run (2 (big) bags of chips is about one pound!).

Finally, this is a very interesting video to watch.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
That aside, the ultimate way is to find a low fat way to keep you from eating too much.

Fat is not the enemy, sugar and starch (refined flour) is.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diet and exercise. The oldest and most fail-proof ways to lose weight in the book.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: