Smoking and Anti Smoking Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:
Bout to start a smoking thread?

I'd be ok with that. :p ( (Anti) Smoking Thread perhaps?)

My dad has quit multiple times, but never for longer than six weeks or so. I don't really give him crap about it usually, but he knows I don't approve and he knows it's no good, but he's got an addictive personality. (he was a gambling addict, stayed clear of that for a good five years, and hasn't got back to his old habits even though he's gambled a few times in the past year or two)

Joe, it sounds to me like you're just making excuses. None of those are good reasons to throw away your health (and money) by taking up the addiction. Stop making excuses and quit before it's too late (if there's such a thing)
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
arvain  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:

Why not Could be a motivation for people who try to quit smoking I guess...

JOE2210 wrote:
I can't just say "Right, I need to go get some thinking time, back in 10" or "Just grabbing a donut to ponder shit over", yet I can say "fag break, back in a bit" and it's fine.

I see It's ok for me, I say nothing, go grab myself a glass of water and spend 5 minutes chatting with someone... People usually don't drink enough water. At least I don't, so I'm fixing that.

JOE2210 wrote:
his whole point

I think I can understand. But I can't approve ._. what I also read is that you acknowledge you started smoking for the wrong reasons (not that there's any good one) and that you see yourself quitting

JOE2210 wrote:
Mum is a hypocrite and would probably disown me for smoking more than she would if I was hooking up with guys every night. Oh how I love her hypocrisy.

Wow, wtf Mine would be so mad xD I mean I'm 25 so she couldn't do much about it, but yeah she'd be worrying to death... And she already stated long ago that if I were to start smoking, it would be dumb as hell : I was asthmatic. Kinda less now, I guess it's going away. It wasn't too bad in the first place anyway. Owell.

Bclare, hooking up (in general, with anyone) is ok if you're taking proper precautions, of course haha
Whitt333  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
singemfrc wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:

I'd be ok with that. :p ( (Anti) Smoking Thread perhaps?)

My dad has quit multiple times, but never for longer than six weeks or so. I don't really give him crap about it usually, but he knows I don't approve and he knows it's no good, but he's got an addictive personality. (he was a gambling addict, stayed clear of that for a good five years, and hasn't got back to his old habits even though he's gambled a few times in the past year or two)

Joe, it sounds to me like you're just making excuses. None of those are good reasons to throw away your health (and money) by taking up the addiction. Stop making excuses and quit before it's too late (if there's such a thing)

I have the occasional cigar for a momentous occasion, but I never intend to smoke a cigarette in my life. Such a bad thing to get into, expensive too.

I'll just keep my liquor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Smoking and Anti Smoking Thread Reply with quote

Well, we will just carry this on from the Rant Thread.

I agree, they are just excuses Alex, but I live off of excuses.
Yes, it's expensive but to be honest, it's not the worst thing I waste my money on. A packet of cigarettes is £3.50 for 10, which is about the same as a venti hazelnut latte from Starbucks. Both do the same function of allowing me to excuse myself from the house and have some alone time, but the pack of cigarettes lasts me a week and a bit.

Looking at my usage, I've realised I have peaks and troughs in how much I smoke. Obviously being at home is a big factor, because I get endless shit for asking to go out and have some time on my own (which as a 19 year old man, I find ridiculous) and I do tend to smoke in times of stress (exams, at work etc.). In fact, almost everyone I know who smokes, started because of stress.
The culture of smoking is a lot different here too, I read on Reddit that in the US, the CDC found that more teenagers smoke weed than tobacco. Over here, weed barely exists without tobacco because you usually mix it in a joint. Then there's the social aspect, a lot of people here consider themselves "social smokers" where you'll be at a club, and you need to get some breathing room and a bit of space, so people will go out to the terrace or the garden or what have you. Problem is, you never get fresh air at those places because that's where people smoke, so the thing that happens is you bum a cigarette from a friend who smokes and you pass the time with it while you get rid of your headache from listening to Sandstorm Extended Club Mix for the 8th time.

I can see myself quitting after the exams, yes, but not eliminating the social smoking aspect of it because it is SO ingrained in UK culture. I'd like to know about what the culture around smoking is in other countries because from what I'm inferring that despite the laxer laws on where you can smoke in the US, it's more culturally rejected.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
bclare  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvain wrote:
Bclare, hooking up (in general, with anyone) is ok if you're taking proper precautions, of course haha

Of course, that was my point.

I don't smoke because smoke itself bothers me; I mean my lungs, not in some sort of emotional or psychological way. I have quite a few friends that smoke and I make sure they're aware how I feel, both about not wanting to have to inhale their smoke and not wanting them to die early deaths from lung cancer or emphysema, but in the end that's their choice. It's definitely a situation where I would hold a significant other to a higher standard. If I had a girlfriend who smoked I would be a lot more invested in getting her to quit (I'm not one for hookups, so girlfriend = serious relationship with the potential to be long-term, thus necessitating interest in the person's long-term health)
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking in the US these days is actually a lot more taboo than it used to be. Sure you can smoke just about anywhere except inside public buildings, but it really isn't socially acceptable most of the time. It sounds like in the UK smoking is no different than drinking, but here in the US it's really something people tend to be ashamed of. For good reason too, imo.

Anyone think that a ban on cigarettes would ever work? I mean I know economically it wouldn't be the best move, but in the long run it would probably save the country a lot of money in medical expenses.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't work any more than the prohibition of alcohol did.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:

Anyone think that a ban on cigarettes would ever work?

Same way Marijuana is now: Sure, you can make illegal all you want, but people are still going to have access to it pretty easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
Smoking in the US these days is actually a lot more taboo than it used to be. Sure you can smoke just about anywhere except inside public buildings, but it really isn't socially acceptable most of the time. It sounds like in the UK smoking is no different than drinking, but here in the US it's really something people tend to be ashamed of. For good reason too, imo.

Anyone think that a ban on cigarettes would ever work? I mean I know economically it wouldn't be the best move, but in the long run it would probably save the country a lot of money in medical expenses.

See, in the UK you can't smoke anywhere considered "enclosed". That includes bus stops with roofs, shopfront overhangs or anything with more than one wall and a roof.
There's no real shame about it over here, I will often see people walking down the street with cigarettes. I'm very conservative about where I smoke (away from others, next to a bin so I can put the end out, not near where anyone will have to walk through a cloud of smoke) but there are people here, and surprisingly the majority of smokers, who don't give a fuck. And that concerns me.

I am a little ashamed, but not massively. More embarrassed about having to admit it. Ashamed is too strong a word.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
It sounds like in the UK smoking is no different than drinking, but here in the US it's really something people tend to be ashamed of. For good reason too, imo.

I think the differing opinions on drinking and smoking are interesting.
At my college (obviously, lulz, etc.), drinking is this holistic amazingly wonderful thing, where people are determined to get people who don't drink to drink and that you can't have fun at parties without drinking. (I've noticed a similar feel amongst marijuana smokers.)

Of these same people, there's probably 10-20% who smoke, and you can tell it's mostly a completely different atmosphere. A good amount have disdain for their habit with some trying to quit, while the others are indifferent at best.

This brings up a few questions: Have cigarettes as a whole been stigmatized time and time again where they have simple become ingrained in our minds as bad? If so, why does alcohol get so much praise despite its bad effects?

I think that this has a lot to do with how we're taught not to drink and drive and not drink too much at once, but drinking often or ever isn't as stressed (unless you become an alcoholic but that doesn't happen to anyone ). The anti-smoking propaganda is more simply - don't smoke, you will get addicted, and you will suffer. Speaking of which, there is the whole addiction thing of how physical addictions are probably stronger, occur more quickly and are harder to deny, which would make starting smoking more dangerous than starting drinking.

My point overall, I guess, was simply that the difference in health effects of cigarettes and alcohol is far smaller than the difference in opinions of the two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people smoke around me, so I haven't looked much into how smokers were perceived... None of my friends (or their boyfriends) smoke either, so I wouldn't know about acceptable / or not.

Also, I do like the idea of a ban on cigarettes, not only because it would save a lot of medical expenses like you said Alex, but also because (at least in France), people oooooooovercomplain all the time that "bawww too expensive, bawww a new increase in the price of cigarettes baww baww" etc etc so it would stop all that bawing...

Don't get me wrong, people would immediately something else to complain about : "bawww we're not allowed to do anything nowadays baww baww unazi, baww" and other nonsense. Not to mention all the employment issues related to this (tobacconists, factories making cigarettes, tobacco farmers, etc) which, admittedly, we don't need here .__. in the US either I guess.

At the end of the day, on the paper it's a good idea, but too much money is involved there, and governments don't see on the long run They base their decisions from one election to the next haha ! Kinda sucks, but I don't see it changing anytime soon...

Fun fact : my coworker (the one who started smoking) told me a few months ago how much her husband is smoking... We spent 2 minutes calculating : 3000€ / year (1€= 1,334$ iirc these days).... a nice trip to a tropical island could've been planned with all that money !

I like to tell smokers how much money they're spending (more like wasting) on cigarettes ! Makes me so glad that I don't smoke ! But someday I will try to put like... 5€/day in a big ass jar for a year, and then do something with all that money (kinda dumb since it's better to leave your money on your account, but you get the idea).
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother and a few of my friends smoke, and I really don't think it's a big deal. We all have vices, we all have things we probably should be doing or we spend money on things others don't think are worth spending money on. It's their choice, and I'm not one to tell people what to do with their lives. As far as social acceptance of smoking around me, my university has a rule where you can only smoke in places specifically designated for smoking, which makes it easy to avoid it if you want to, but very few people outwardly demonize those that smoke. Funny thing about that, though. I don't smoke, but the smoking huts are some of the easiest places to find people and socialize, so I'm in them all the time. I guess it's just like any other activity a lot of people do.

arvain wrote:
Also, I do like the idea of a ban on cigarettes, not only because it would save a lot of medical expenses like you said Alex, but also because (at least in France), people oooooooovercomplain all the time that "bawww too expensive, bawww a new increase in the price of cigarettes baww baww" etc etc so it would stop all that bawing...

Because that worked splendidly for prohibition every time it was tried. No one made alcohol anymore and everyone decided to stop drinking because the government told them to. (postscript: Oops, apparently singemfrc already mentioned that, my bad.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyCherub wrote:
arvain wrote:

Because that worked splendidly for prohibition every time it was tried. No one made alcohol anymore and everyone decided to stop drinking because the government told them to. (postscript: Oops, apparently singemfrc already mentioned that, my bad.)

Because he totally said that it would work splendidly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:

Because he totally said that it would work splendidly.

Acknowledging that navycherub basically repeated singemfrc's point in a more contentious way, I'd prefer if we all just focused on smoking or prohibition or whatnot instead of getting into something personal.

Last edited by blingdomepiece on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThunderAlex  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Iceland made cigarettes prescription-only last year... so that could be similar to completely banning them? However, I find that idea ridiculous. Smoking isn't the same as alcohol or drugs - it doesn't alter your thought process. It's okay that smoking is forbidden in closed public places, but banning it entirely would just be stupid. It can't harm anyone except the smoker himself.

As for how smoking is viewed in my country (Bosnia), we have A LOT of smokers. And cigarettes are relatively cheap, you don't have to be 18 to buy them (Yes, even a 7 year old kid can just freely go into a store and buy a pack of cigarettes) and it's not banned in closed public places. Also, I don't really understand why anyone would be ashamed because they smoke... Anyone care to explain?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 438237975587
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: