ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Summer Olympics 2012 - Opening Ceremony tonight!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davers  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Oscar Pistorius run the 400m is absolutely amazing. So glad they let him run it. Shows the Olympics are definitely a love for the sport.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
So the Brits seem to have had a bit of a day.

Jess Ennis romped it, Mo Farah timed it to perfection and nobody else went after Greg Rutherford. And then there was rowing and cycling and more rowing.

I wondered if the weight of expectation on Jess Ennis would be too much, with her being the face of the Games an' all. Stupid to worry, she's amazing. All round, a great day.

We're not talking about penalty shootouts.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
pizzzapizza  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Phelps is retiring from the Olympics did any1 hear that?

makes me feel sad right now because can be compared to him
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizzzapizza wrote:

I don't see what's so sad about it. The guy is 27 years old, he will probably never again be in as good of shape as he has been, and his whole life has basically been dedicated to the sport. He's had such a stellar career, and he's pretty much set for life. I think he's earned his retirement.

So I guess track events are starting now? I think I might actually make an effort to watch those (especially excited for Usain Bolt :p)
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
pizzzapizza wrote:

I don't see what's so sad about it. The guy is 27 years old, he will probably never again be in as good of shape as he has been, and his whole life has basically been dedicated to the sport. He's had such a stellar career, and he's pretty much set for life. I think he's earned his retirement.

So I guess track events are starting now? I think I might actually make an effort to watch those (especially excited for Usain Bolt :p)

thing is, swimming is really easy on the joints unlike, say, running, weightlifting, gymnastics, etc...personally i don't see a reason why he couldn't come back in 2016; he will only be 31. i think it's a little bit of 2 things. 1, he may think that, in 4 more years, he may not be able to dominate as he does today. hell, even now he's not as dominating as he was in beijing. of course, with enough dedication and training i think he could get back to his former peak. i'd heard that kinda let himself go and only seriously trained for london for the last year and a half. if he really prepares for rio he could definitely do well...but that's part 2. i think the expectations and stress of his position made him depressed and i think he is just tired of dealing with it and wants to move on to other things in his life. it's not like he has anything to prove and i'm sure that he could literally retire and do nothing except enjoy the rest of his life and he would be fine. but, with someone like that, he will likely take on another venture. i heard he might try to get into acting, that'd be interesting.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
bclare  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude has done nothing but swim for his entire life, 27 years is enough for him to want a change. He's broken every record, there's no reason he needs to stick around swimming more. He has a lucrative career ahead of him as a celebrity celebrity; he'll write a sappy memoir or two (well, someone else will ghostwrite it for him), he'll get on Dancing with the Stars, he'll still have endorsements from Subway plus whatever else. I wouldn't begrudge him for choosing that life, at least he became famous because he had an incredible talent at something.
ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt takes the 100m Men's final with a staggeringly quick 9.63. The worrying thing? He was slow off the mark. I think he could go for a sub 9.5 on his best day.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else think the .1 second false start time limit should be adjusted? What happens when a world-class athlete is able to legitimately do it in .09? I personally think it should be changed to about .08. That small amount of time does make a difference for the 100m, and more importantly we won't be shitting on any player who happens to have unprecedented reflexes. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I really hate to see players disqualified for false starts when they began well after the gun was fired.
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame Powell pulled up during the final, because realistically that was going to be an entire field of sub-10 times in the final which is a crazy thought. Ah well, at least Usain Bolt didn't actually slack off this time which is all I'd hoped for out of the final.

Anywho, that wasn't why I came to post, I just wanted to share this hilarious article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10825019

Now, I know Australia are struggling like hell to win gold medals at these games thus far, but that isn't the way to improve their tally
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usain Bolt has straight up class and respect for his fellow athletes. Amazing guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxN825ALFUw
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Does anyone else think the .1 second false start time limit should be adjusted? What happens when a world-class athlete is able to legitimately do it in .09? I personally think it should be changed to about .08. That small amount of time does make a difference for the 100m, and more importantly we won't be shitting on any player who happens to have unprecedented reflexes. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I really hate to see players disqualified for false starts when they began well after the gun was fired.

They were talking about this sort of thing when Linford Christie got disqualified in the 1996 final for a reaction time of about 0.0976 or something - with the start being so significant, was it beyond the realms of possibility that somebody could potentially mentally train themselves to get out that fast? Which shows the problem; there is literally no way to distinguish between reaction and anticipation. Ultimately, the average reaction time in the 100m in pro sprinting is about 0.14s, not particularly close to 0.1, and there's scientific backing to say you can't get that low without anticipating (the speed of sound is the first variable that needs to be considered).

TLDR; it's probably fine as it is. The rule itself probably needs changing, but since it's the way it is because of the demands of American TV audiences that's not going to happen any time soon.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually awake in time to see if Valerie Adams would successfully defend her Shotput crown (and thus give us Kiwis our 4th gold), only to see Ostapchuk throw like a woman possessed. You know you've done well when you beat Adams' best with 4 of your throws in the final, considering that this ended up being her first loss in apparently 21 events and 2 years. Good stuff. She wasn't the only world champ to fall in the field today either which is honestly always fun to see.

Next on the to-see list for me: Sally Pearson hopefully winning the 100m hurdles. I'm almost certain Australia will riot if she doesn't win that, given how harsh the media/public have been about their swimming performance.
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
Benster26  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:

They were talking about this sort of thing when Linford Christie got disqualified in the 1996 final for a reaction time of about 0.0976 or something - with the start being so significant, was it beyond the realms of possibility that somebody could potentially mentally train themselves to get out that fast? Which shows the problem; there is literally no way to distinguish between reaction and anticipation. Ultimately, the average reaction time in the 100m in pro sprinting is about 0.14s, not particularly close to 0.1, and there's scientific backing to say you can't get that low without anticipating (the speed of sound is the first variable that needs to be considered).

TLDR; it's probably fine as it is. The rule itself probably needs changing, but since it's the way it is because of the demands of American TV audiences that's not going to happen any time soon.

Even turning a stopwatch on and off in less than 0.1 seconds is very, very hard so I highly doubt that anyone could legitimatley react to the gun in less than that time. However, I don't see a problem, with an athlete anticipating it and going. Surely the gun is the same time after the read-set every time =, so I'm sure most athletes try and anticipate the gun to a certain extent, no?

Back on the 11th!
Benster26  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:

Even turning a stopwatch on and off in less than 0.1 seconds is very, very hard so I highly doubt that anyone could legitimatley react to the gun in less than that time. However, I don't see a problem, with an athlete anticipating it and going. Surely the gun is the same time after the read-set every time =, so I'm sure most athletes try and anticipate the gun to a certain extent, no?

Back on the 11th!
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benster26 wrote:
Kinitawowi wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:

the way i see it you'd be taking a pretty huge risk if you were anticipating it because of course you could go before...so in my mind if you can get off the block in such a short time it should be legit. they *could* have the athletes wear a small earbud to hear it, which would eliminate any delay caused by the speed of sound.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: