ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Medical Question: Dangers of magnets by vital organs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OcosnTyrantis  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Medical Question: Dangers of magnets by vital organs? Reply with quote

Hey Scorehero, I'm going to a fancy dress party on Sunday as Tony Stark (Iron Man). I've got the outfit ready and I made the Arc reactor by myself by getting a circular LED light, putting layers of masking tape over it to shape where the light passes through and then covering it it blue sticky paper.

There is one thing I am concerned about, though. On the back of the LED light is a magnet. It's not a super powerful magnet, it's just one that would keep the light held to your average fridge.

As I'm going to be wearing this thing over my heart for a few hours, I just want to find out if there are any risks to doing this. Sources for information would be nice, too.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No danger. Nearly any retail store that you visit now has magnetic name tags for each employee that just as powerful as what you're going to be wearing. Wear it with pride (and leave a picture in Mugshots above, of course ;) ).

Edit: Unless you have a pacemaker, of course, in which case the question far, far exceeds my meager expertise.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've found, there seems to be a lack of research, but most sources are saying it's basically harmless unless you have some sort of pacemaker or other device used to keep your heart functioning properly. In which case, it would be obvious to avoid using magnets since magnets and electronics don't tend to get along well, but everyone knows that. I'd say go for it. Also, I'm sure everyone wants to see a picture of this costume because it sounds badass.

Sources:
http://www.medical-explorer.com/other_diseases.php?012
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081012110835AAzRM84
http://www.ehow.com/list_6040081_dangers-magnets_.html

EDIT: Lack of research regarding long-term effects for that matter. One night of awesomeness shouldn't be an issue.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you DO have a pacemaker though, the Tony Stark cosplay works even better. Fuck, if I had a pacemaker I would see if the doctors could get it to look like an arc reactor anyway.
OcosnTyrantis  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks guys. I don't have a pacemaker or any other mechanical works within me, so I should be fine.

Just so I don't disappoint, I'm going as Tony Stark, not in the Iron Man costume.

bclare wrote:
If you DO have a pacemaker though, the Tony Stark cosplay works even better. Fuck, if I had a pacemaker I would see if the doctors could get it to look like an arc reactor anyway.

BRB, giving myself a heart problem.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRIs have magnetic fields so powerful an oxygen tank can be lifted from across the room and fly towards them, but even those fields have very little biological effect on humans. Pretty much any magnet you can buy will be completely harmless as long as you don't put it near any sensitive electrical devices (cell phones, computer monitors, pacemakers, etc.).
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
MRIs have magnetic fields so powerful an oxygen tank can be lifted from across the room and fly towards them, but even those fields have very little biological effect on humans. Pretty much any magnet you can buy will be completely harmless as long as you don't put it near any sensitive electrical devices (cell phones, computer monitors, pacemakers, etc.).

Or eat it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: