ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Arrested Development

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disturbedfreak  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Arrested Development Reply with quote

Who else is happy they brought the show back for a fourth season? Has anyone else watched it, and what do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 6158928254521041
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All time favorite show, I have seen the original 3 seasons probably 7-10 times all the way through (with many random episodes reaching even higher view counts) It was so densely packed with jokes, references, and self-aware humor that there are still things I discover when I rewatch the show. The pacing was simply unmatched, and seeing the interactions between all the characters really gave the show some of its magic.

...and therein lies the problem with the new season. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved it. It is definitely Arrested Development, with many hilarious moments throughout, and as dense and interwoven as any of the first three seasons. In fact it might even be the most complex and layered season yet. However that doesn't necessarily mean it's as funny, or simply as good as the first three seasons. The pacing of the show was noticeably slower, for starters. While I love more AD, the longer episodes mean more time committed to jokes, more exposition, etc. Sometimes this lessens the comedic impact, honestly. Additionally (though I know it was the only way the actors could do the show) the focus on one character per episode loses some of the charm of the first three seasons. There are less interactions between family members, one of the best sources of comedy in the original seasons. Additionally we get a large helping of each character's quirks and personalities, which is definitely an overdoes compared to the snippets and small scenes' worth we got before. There are definitely some benefits to the new format, especially in terms of complexity and interweaving episodes, but I feel that overall it hurts the quality. It's just not as funny as it used to be. Still great, better than almost any other TV show out there. But not as good as it could have been.

tl;dr: The new season is great. Dense, funny, and just a joy to see these characters again. But it is slower, darker, and not quite up to par with the first three seasons. Overall worth seeing, especially for fans of the show.

PS: I hate Debris >.>
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that the season is set up like a circle, and there isn't much of a discernible "beginning" so to speak. They revisit the moments right after the end of season 3 several times, for instance. Once you gain some footing in this "circle" you start to piece everything together like a puzzle. It's some of the most involved TV watching I've ever done. The only reason I didn't finish it in one sitting is because I didn't want it to end. Some people complain about the pacing and say that it's slow, but after finishing the season and watching the first 3 episodes over again (I remember thinking the first 3-4 episodes were pretty slow, then it felt like it picked up) and I definitely enjoyed them a lot more the second time through. I think this might be the solution to some people's problem with pacing. Once you finish up the season, watch the episodes you found to be "slow" over again. Some characters lines just feel like they have totally different meanings upon multiple viewings. Then again, I know there are people out there that just AREN'T going to like it... or are always going to say it's not as good as the first seasons. Opinions. :P

For the record I'd probably say 4>3=2=1

Seasons 1-3 had characters and episodes scattered here and there that I either find annoying or just generally dislike. In 4, I disliked less characters, and even if I found a new character annoying the way the story was told just consistently put the show on a new level for me.

PS pretty sure her name is spelled Debrie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: