ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Advice on how to play The Way It Ends?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlottesophie  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Advice on how to play The Way It Ends? Reply with quote

I absolutely love the song and I am good at alt. strumming, however I can't get round the short pauses. Does anyone have any advice? I'd greatly appreciate any help, thank you!
nunovanhalen023  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of fast strumming with pauses is generally referred to by the community as burst strumming. You'll also see it frequently in the Dragonforce DLC pack.

Anyway, oddly enough, most people find it more difficult to have good endurance with burst strumming than they do with regular fast alt-strumming. Unfortunately, there are no easy ways to improve at this skill. My advice would be to warm up your strumming arm with some normal alt-strumming (Knights of Cydonia, perhaps) and then tackle a run of The Way It Ends. Play TWIE frequently, like one run every few days or so, and you'll see some gradual improvement.
nunovanhalen023  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of fast strumming with pauses is generally referred to by the community as burst strumming. You'll also see it frequently in the Dragonforce DLC pack.

Anyway, oddly enough, most people find it more difficult to have good endurance with burst strumming than they do with regular fast alt-strumming. Unfortunately, there are no easy ways to improve at this skill. My advice would be to warm up your strumming arm with some normal alt-strumming (Knights of Cydonia, perhaps) and then tackle a run of The Way It Ends. Play TWIE frequently, like one run every few days or so, and you'll see some gradual improvement.
ThunderShade  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If endurance is your problem, then yeah just play things like this a lot. Thrasher on the Rock Band side is a way more taxing song (especially on bass) so it's very good for endurance. I found playing the strumming sections over and over again from The Way it Ends very helpful for building enough endurance for the FC.

However given the phrasing of the question I'm going to assume it's burst strumming in general you're having trouble with. If you have Beast and the Harlot on GH2/GHSH/RB3 then that's a good song to get the hang of it. Other than that, practising the song on lower speeds is the best thing to do. It's worth noting that all the bursts are an odd number of strums long, so you end on down and up strums alternately.

It's also worth considering how good you are in general and whether you should try to improve in general first. I have nothing to go off of regarding your skill. I would say you should be able to five star pretty much everything else on disc except for TTFAF and maybe Raining Blood before trying to get combos on The Way it Ends.

Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endurance is the biggest key here. Also, try working on the timing. For most of the bursts it's 5-5-3. That's really all there is to it imo, good luck!
charlottesophie  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with endurance, just can't burst strum, it seems. But I can full combo things like Knights of Cydonia, lol.

Thank you guys!
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderShade wrote:

However given the phrasing of the question I'm going to assume it's burst strumming in general you're having trouble with. If you have Beast and the Harlot on GH2/GHSH/RB3 then that's a good song to get the hang of it. Other than that, practising the song on lower speeds is the best thing to do. It's worth noting that all the bursts are an odd number of strums long, so you end on down and up strums alternately.

I don't think bath helps very much for twie - twie is far more taxing. but on the other hand, yes bath should be easy if you're trying to fc twie.

I 'reset' every group and always started on a downstrum. this allows you to keep your hand going the same speed and makes it a bit easier technically, but i think it also requires more endurance from all the starting and stopping.

either way, yeah, just keep at it; you gotta play this one a lot to get the fc. also play knights of cydonia because building up the endurance for it is easier than twie, although koc is faster. it's because of all the stops in twie and that it lasts for so long.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
ArmourTheLlama  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without meaning to hijack a thread, I have a question related to this, cos I want to build my strumming speed/endurance - when my arm/wrist gets too tired and I can't hold combo any more due to fatigue, is it good to carry on and try to play through it? Is this beneficial or just bad practice?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArmourTheLlama wrote:
Without meaning to hijack a thread, I have a question related to this, cos I want to build my strumming speed/endurance - when my arm/wrist gets too tired and I can't hold combo any more due to fatigue, is it good to carry on and try to play through it? Is this beneficial or just bad practice?

Personally I find it good to try and play through for a few minutes afterwards at most but not much more because you don't want to strain yourself. In my experience endurance is more just about being able to keep playing. If you can generally keep playing for longer then you'll be able to keep combos for longer.

@f4phantom : I was suggesting BatH only for learning how to burst strum (it's where I first got the hang of it). I agree it's of no use for endurance though. Once someone has basic burst strumming down, then they can get endurance.

Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArmourTheLlama wrote:

Personally, while I was building up endurance, I would just play until I could keep combo's anymore. After awhile, it just...built up lol. Strumming is a bit of a strong point for me due to it I think. Also, using your wrist and not your arm is something a think a lot of people don't do enough of. Really using your arm is only useful if you're vibro-strumming imo lol.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDUD DUDUD DUD

Also keep in mind that the tempo changes during the verse and the bursts with the lowest note being green are a bit faster than the ones with the red bottom note.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: