ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Trying to learn Tapping and failing quickly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaltarDraco  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Trying to learn Tapping and failing quickly Reply with quote

Okay, I only have Guitar Hero 3 and I am currently unable to complete the game on hard because One!

Turns out it requires a technique I thought was completely exclusive to expert difficulty, Tapping!

I've seen a number of tappable sections when using practice mode in expert difficulty at full speed and out of all of these, Monsters - Bridge 3 Blah Blah Blah appears to be easiest.

So I started on that on the slowest speed.

I think it goes something like this.

____

Number format as follows: 1 = forefinger to 4 = pinky finger, black is fret hand, red is strum hand and from left to right is green to orange.

My first strategy was 12123 but that was too confusing, the way it used both of my hands for tapping and only one from the left and my brain simply wouldn't make my cursing finger come off the when it was time for the .

So naturally I went for 11234 and this got me the furthest but I couldn't hit the with my pinky, the position of the strumming hand at frets is too unnatural for me to get this to work with all four fingers, only three.

And lastly I tried 11123 and this makes a lot of sense because of the way I usually play a lot of sections on hard and expert is 11234 because the forefinger is by far the fastest finger. But when it came to the , I found that I just couldn't do that.

And yes, I have read a lot of the tutorials on this but I simply can't get my fingering right.
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a section like the one in Monsters, you really only need one tapping finger. So simply anchor the lower note (Red, then Green, etc.) and tap with either (1) or (2) the higher note. (2) is more comfortable for me, personally. Just keep tapping the high note, shifting as the notes change. It may take some getting used to but it's way easier than keeping your fingers at 1(1234) or 12(123). Those kinds of fingerings are for much more complex sections, such as TTFAF intro.

Speaking of which, why do you need tapping for One on hard? Are you trying to pass it, 5* it, or FC it? Because you only might need tapping for the FC, and even that is not completely necessary.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
ArmourTheLlama  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying just to PASS it, tapping is not at all necessary! But tapping is fun to do so it is worth learning regardless ;) don't assign a finger to each fret, that's actually overcomplicating it - do as alex says, anchor lower note with left hand, tap higher with right, as simple as that

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
Speaking of which, why do you need tapping for One on hard? Are you trying to pass it, 5* it, or FC it? Because you only might need tapping for the FC, and even that is not completely necessary.
Pass it, so I can finally face Lou.
MaltarDraco  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexhaz64 wrote:
For a section like the one in Monsters, you really only need one tapping finger. So simply anchor the lower note (Red, then Green, etc.) and tap with either (1) or (2) the higher note. (2) is more comfortable for me, personally.
Okay, I will admit that was some good advice and I was able to FC (118/118) this section on slowest in about 30 minutes of practice (my last post was when I was I started practising with your technique) but this technique needs to stand up against slower and slow and then full speed and we will see how good your technique is at this on those speeds.
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaltarDraco wrote:

Save SP and activate when your in the yellow and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhYYZ wrote:
MaltarDraco wrote:

Save SP and activate when your in the yellow and you should be fine.

Pretty much. Hell, a full bar will get you fully through Fast Solo A, though I suppose you might want to hold on to some for the rest of the solo.

As for the other stuff, Alex already hit it bang on the money, and all you really need to do is adjust your speed with how fast the section is going. That, and practice a lot, but yknow.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
ihatebarracuda  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on GH3, you can tap faster than the section really is without breaking combo. Just spam the higher note as fast as you can without tensing up or getting sore.

For that section, I would play all the greens and reds with 1, always anchoring. And then I would play all the yellows, blues, and oranges with 2, just spamming. Except at the very end for the I would anchor the yellow with 3 and spam blue with 2.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ihatebarracuda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: