ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Update: New Server and Revitalization of the "2009 Rewrite"
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCirri  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Update: New Server and Revitalization of the "2009 Rewr Reply with quote

Alright everyone, time for a major update here..

It's been more than 6 years since our last server move, which if you were around you may recall the donation drive that was capped off by a very generous $2000 donation from Alex Rigopulos (Harmonix CEO) making that move possible. A few years later in 2009 I detailed big plans for a rewrite to modernize, internationalize and expand ScoreHero. As you may know for several reasons those plans never got far off the ground, and I apologize to all who were anxiously awaiting to see progress.

My time the past several years has been split between Rhythm Authors work and other projects / side jobs to keep bills paid, but I've always been frustrated that ScoreHero has remained at standstill during that time. With RBN slowing down and the companies no longer sustaining operating costs, I had to make a decision. I could keep ScoreHero running as is on minimal expense while pursuing other work more heavily, or invest in an ideal environment for the rewrite and plan for future growth.

After thinking about how much the ScoreHero community has meant to me over the years, and the potential to rebuild and expand that great friendly/competitive atmosphere, I've decided to pursue the rewrite. I've ordered a brand new dedicated server both more powerful and expansive than the current one while still managing to reduce operating costs. I've spent the past several weeks updating all system software to absolute latest versions, installing new desired packages for the rewrite and fixing all existing deprecated/incompatible SH code. The database engine has also been improved, and at this time I'm happy to announce I'll be starting the server migration midday tomorrow.

I will be taking the site offline while I export and move the database over to the new machine. That should only take 2-4 hours, and once I confirm the data is properly imported I'll update scorehero.com to point to the new machine. That update could take 24-48 hours to fully propogate across the Internet (so they say - typically it's far faster than that), but once it's running I'll redirect traffic from the old server so that you'll arrive there either way.

To everyone still keeping ScoreHero alive, we'll soon be up and running in a fresh environment! I've tried to prepare all existing code, but considering how much underlying software has been updated I don't expect everything will function perfectly right away, so please report any issues as you find them after the move and I'll track them down as quickly as possible.

Moving forward with the rewrite, feel free to ask questions and I'll try to post more frequent updates as plans progress. I don't have a timeline yet as my priority so far has been getting the new machine prepped for production, but I will ask for user feedback on key decisions and aim to set and meet milestones. I'll also likely be seeking help with development and graphics work (and testing further down the line).

So stay tuned for updates, and thanks for all your support over the years!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: JCirri821 Wii Friend Code: 1455611809021899
S4VN01  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. You are awesome.
I don't know about you guys, but I as a player of video games - and therefore a musician - am certainly enamoured of the prospect of, next time I begin to play Horrible Night, sitting down with a wide grin on my face as I rub my hands together in glee and shout out to the world "I know your secret! You're in a deceptive time signature!" before failing to hit any notes at all because the song is still balls-out hard.

My Youtube! My Youtube for GD:RB! My Twitter!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: S4VN01
Moomoomoo1  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still a thing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S HAPPENING.

Last edited by louster200 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
crash13  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exciting!
PiemanLK  

I hope the 2009 rewrite will make it easier to beat toymachine's post count
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
CHawk  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
I hope the 2009 rewrite will make it easier to beat toymachine's post count

think again
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unrip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, wow. Can't wait to see what comes out of this, and I should dust off my fake plastic instruments and remember just how bad I was at these games.

I need to not go a year and a half between visits to this site... >_<

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

embarrassing post im editing months later

Last edited by Southparkhero on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angels2003  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorehero
0v3rki11  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this real life? What... what's happening? Can this really be?

I still need a GH game >.<
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angels2003 wrote:
scorehero

weback
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting! Haven't been much of a participant on here in years but I'm glad to see there's still plans for the site. Feels like it's almost time to break out instruments again and get back into the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> ScoreHero Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: