ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Differences between an average, an expert, and a pro expert player.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andelous  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Differences between an average, an expert, and a pro expert Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Well, I put up this topic to talk about what you all think about the differences between these 3 categories of player. I just want to know how precise my guesses are. Any other ideas are welcome. (These ideas are based in my experience, focusing on Guitar Hero 3)

Average player: Can beat all songs on medium (4 and 5 *'s) and some on hard (3 *'s). Probably a more advanced player can beat most songs on hard with 4 or 5 *'s and just a few on expert (3 *'s). They do not have knowledge about star power paths nor advanced skills for hammer ons or pull offs.

Expert player: His skills are advanced, but those may be better (For example, timing, hammer on's and pull off's). He can beat most of the songs he plays on expert, reaching a maximum of 5 stars in the first 3 or 4 tiers. From there and on, the scores only reach 3 or 4 stars.

Also, this player can beat some songs that require a bit of more advanced skills, such as Cult of Personality, Raining Blood, Impulse, etc. But only with 3 *'s, or 4 maximum. The toughest songs such as TTFAF, or TDWDTG cannot be beaten by this player.

His knowledge about paths and timing with Star power is quite low or inexistent.

Pro expert player: This is the final category, and also two subcategories may exist...
Quote:

Strong pro expert player: This is already a pro player in two ways: Knowledge and skill.

For knowledge, I think is basically in Star power paths. This helps him to get higher scores in combination with his skill. Also, this player probably may start using both hands in certain situations, for example "They're hammer ons" in TTFAF.

The songs considered to be the toughest such as TTFAF or TDWDTG can be beaten, with scores reaching 3 or 4 *'s. Also, this player has some FC's on easy tiers of the list.

Strongest pro expert player: This is the final category of my list, and this player may be considered a god between us.

This player has vast knowledge about star power paths and also has developed his own techniques, such as using both hands, for certain songs (For example, Soulless 2, 3, and some other customs). Also, he has a lot of FC's (20+) and ALL songs are 5 *'s at least, including TTFAF, TDWDTG, Fury of the Storm, etc... You get the point... Really tough songs.

Is hard to find a song this player can not beat.

------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing... I think is a good idea to measure the level of the player using an ELO rating system. My guesses about the ELO rating of each level are written below:

| Average player --------- Under 1200 ELO rating
    | Advanced player ------- From 1200 to 1600 ELO rating
    | Expert player ----------- From 1600 to 2000 ELO rating
    Pro expert player:
    | Strong ------------------- From 2000 to 2400 ELO rating
    | Strongest ---------------- 2400+ ELO rating

And that's it, if you have suggestions about some details I'm missing or that could be added, leave a comment.

Sorry for any grammar, spelling or vocabulary mitakes; I am not a native english speaker. Thanks
SlasherManEXE  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean that a lot of the players here have an ELO of over 9000?

Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:

Basically this to be completely honest.

No but seriously, I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but it really is hard to quantify skill, especially when it's all relative. Interestingly enough, the "average" player actually can't even play medium. In fact, I believe it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of people that ever played a Guitar Hero game never even made it past easy. Furthermore, this may also, for lack of a better word here, insult people who are at a certain skill. There are plenty of people that can only 3 star expert songs that would be considered by 99.9% of the population as being a God at the game, but according to this they're not really good relatively. I dunno, I just don't think it's a good idea to apply a rating system to players. If you think you're not good personally, then okay. Maybe you've trying to improve, maybe not. It's not for me to say. If you think you're good, then hell yeah you're good! Again, that's not for me to say (though a lot of people will). since everything is relative, only YOU can determine where you are skill wise.
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By this scale I'm in the top group, and there are definitely a couple tiers ahead of me!

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
andelous  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradmasta wrote:
SlasherManEXE wrote:

Basically this to be completely honest.

No but seriously, I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but it really is hard to quantify skill, especially when it's all relative. Interestingly enough, the "average" player actually can't even play medium. In fact, I believe it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of people that ever played a Guitar Hero game never even made it past easy. Furthermore, this may also, for lack of a better word here, insult people who are at a certain skill. There are plenty of people that can only 3 star expert songs that would be considered by 99.9% of the population as being a God at the game, but according to this they're not really good relatively. I dunno, I just don't think it's a good idea to apply a rating system to players. If you think you're not good personally, then okay. Maybe you've trying to improve, maybe not. It's not for me to say. If you think you're good, then hell yeah you're good! Again, that's not for me to say (though a lot of people will). since everything is relative, only YOU can determine where you are skill wise.

We all do have different points of view, and the list I made was not intended to measure the skill of any person. It was made to measure the skill of someone who likes and plays Guitar Hero.
Midnight-Rider  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay all I can say is I've generally considered myself a fairly okay but not standout guitar/bass player. Vocals is mainly where it's at for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MidniteRidr2
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tiering where I match the criteria for top rank is inherently flawed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just need to add another tier: "Scorehero" which is divided into maybe 2 categories: the 5* everything and FC about half of each game, and the FC almost everything in existence category - split into 2 sub categories: the ones who are too lazy to path, and the ones that FC and play for score

Warhiem  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:
We just need to add another tier: "Scorehero" which is divided into maybe 2 categories: the 5* everything and FC about half of each game, and the FC almost everything in existence category - split into 2 sub categories: the ones who are too lazy to path, and the ones that FC and play for score

I like this!! I fall in the bottom of that but that's exactly my skill

Captainoffun22  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be the Expert player, but i can beat TTFAF on Smash hits but not GH3.
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I was using star power paths for FCs of middle-of-the-road and easy songs before I could get better than three stars on TTFAF.

The "ScoreHero" ELO scale would have to be entirely separate from the "casual" ELO scale, not that I support the idea at all but there you go.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: []
*loves dragons*
stuff i've done, insanely out of date
conlan22  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ELO is used for ranking competitive sports so giving ELO ratings for single-player mode doesn't really make sense you could do ELO for pro-faceoff though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
Whitt333  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:

Even here, there are a ton of people that can FC 80-90% of the songs in any given game, but will never be able to FC something like TTFAF.

The average Scorehero person is probably in the 99%+ range for best players of this game, but there is a HUGE skill difference between 99% and 100%.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I qualify as
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Mxtchell PSN Name: Mxtchell_ML
SlasherManEXE  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't even FC Satch Boogie, I would put you in the Mediocre category below Average. Lafflafflaff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: