ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Software project: DJ Hero in VR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
technotic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Software project: DJ Hero in VR Reply with quote

Hi all,

First time here. Wow, I had no idea this community existed. I'm only 13 years late I will be sure that if I get banned, it will be such a unique form of idiocy to have a rule named after me. Onto my post ..

I was (still am) a huge fan of the DJ Hero franchise. I was ranked #24 on the Xbox live leaderboards and was in the top 5 for several songs (2nd for Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See). I went through 3 of the special jay-z / Eminem decks, fixed multiple decks multiple times, blah blah blah.

The past few years, I've really got into virtual reality. Primarily the Oculus platform. It's also easier to target in Unity due to their great SDKs. I'm a mediocre developer but have been learning quite a bit more and trying to deep dive lately. I decided I want to create a DJ Hero esque game in VR. The interactions will be interesting to overcome but I have a pretty good idea on how to get that.

I am posting here because this seems to be the last remaining stronghold of potential DJ Hero fans. Yes, I intend to read through all the info I can here. It appears DJ Hero uses the FSB format and there are plenty of tools for that, but when developing something new, the freedom to adopt an existing format or develop one most appropriate. I'll have to look into the FSB format deeper. There's no royalty issues with the tracks lined up for a Proof of Concept demo. No copyright infringements, etc. However, whatever I use or develop for creating the official tracks, I want to also make available an official custom track creator and full custom track integration. Community track packs for multiplayer and community competitions would be great. When a developer opens up to giving freedom to the community to create, it's much better than community having to hack together things and limit the community by technical ability to use the hacky software.

Anyway I am posting this because I'm hoping to find some people who might be interested in contributing input, ideas, technical knowledge, or anything else. There's no rule that quite covers this so hopefully it'll be allowed to stay for the spirit of the project and the community of people here who would have useful information or ideas more than any other community.

To be clear, I'm not exactly sure who or what I'm looking for. I'm throwing this idea out here and am curious what types of responses I get. Technical knowledge is very welcome, of course, regarding input on either creating a format or using an existing (or even a stripped down existing). Ideas are great. Even ideas on the user input as I'm not hard set on mine. Hand tracking isn't yet reliable enough IMO to use without frustration, which leaves the use of controllers. But you'd have to have some knowledge or experience of VR controllers to know their limits and capabilities.

I'm planning on using Unity, because I've never touched unreal and I'm not writing it in cpp I mean, visual basic is tempting tho...

I'm not even at alpha stage yet and I'm completely open to any input. And anyone who might want a more hands on or direct contribution path and and has technical knowledge of existing software or can contribute technical knowledge and considerations, or if you can envision a product from a game designer perspective, feel free to dm me.

Again, I hope you let this post stay. Thanks for reading!

technotic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: