ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Really fast single notes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Really fast single notes Reply with quote

I was playing, among other things, Heart Full of Black the other day, and doing just fine when I hit that damn OOOOOOOOOOOOOO...OOO section. Though it's by no means the only one of it's kind, it's really screwing me up because I can fairly easily do everything else in the song and am just waiting for that one clean run. However, no matter what kind of speed I use, I never seem to be able to hit those oranges. Is there some kind of trick to being able to finish these sections?

I do have some musical background, and I understand the idea of subdividing, but I can seldom subdivide anything faster than sixteenth notes at a reasonable tempo. (Or anything more complex than a triplet, <3 those five-tuples...)

And yes, I alternate strum. I don't see how people don't alternate for a majority of the game.
eachann  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have a really hard time with things like that too... I can't do that string of oranges at all on Texas Flood hard, and I can't hit the notes at the end of Frankenstein hard either, even though they seem really easy, I miss half of them no matter what speed I strum.
rabies  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Heart Full of Black O notes are actually are 16th notes..straight up.
I find I hit those particular ones a lot easier when I tap my foot along with the beat...and just strum straight 16th notes.

The ones in Texas Flood are just pure evil. If I hit 100% of those, its pure luck
KetchuponEggs  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Really fast single notes Reply with quote

Azuarc wrote:
I don't see how people don't alternate for a majority of the game.

don't diss the downstrum.

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
catfish7  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just one of those things that takes practice. I can hit the Texas Flood string of orange pretty much every time now, but I'm still iffy on the Heart Full of Black string. It's all about rhythm, just get a good hold of the strum bar and strum your little heart out.
CrackerRiley  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Really fast single notes Reply with quote

KetchuponEggs wrote:
Azuarc wrote:
I don't see how people don't alternate for a majority of the game.

or the upstrum (with my middle finger) yes i am a freak
Azuarc  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Really fast single notes Reply with quote

KetchuponEggs wrote:

I selectively downstrum, but alternate is the norm, and quite honestly, nearly any time you're playing anything more involved than quarter notes, I simply *can't* not alternate. (The exception being sections of eighth notes that have a 3-3-2 pattern or something like that, such as in a few of the phrases of Unsung.)

As for Heart Full of Black being sixteenths, I went back and otherwise FC'ed the song, but botched the fast notes. I was counting 1e+a2e+a, but wasn't helping in the least.
ES942  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for all the really fast notes all in a row (HFOB, TF, SCM, FOTW) try to memorize the colors. pay attention to the targets at the bottom of the scrolling note chart. the timing window in this game is generous enough to give you a little extra space. if you can see the notes coming behind the target, then you are strumming a little too slow. if they aren't showing up at all behind the target, then you are strumming right. just try to start as slow as possible.
Huwonk  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this same exact problem. I can hit the fast notes in Texas Flood, but I ALWAYS miss a few in Heart Full of Black and also Spanish Castle Magic. I'll try what ES suggested...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
for all the really fast notes all in a row (HFOB, TF, SCM, FOTW) try to memorize the colors. pay attention to the targets at the bottom of the scrolling note chart. the timing window in this game is generous enough to give you a little extra space. if you can see the notes coming behind the target, then you are strumming a little too slow. if they aren't showing up at all behind the target, then you are strumming right. just try to start as slow as possible.

This is EXACTLY what I do on those parts and it works very well. The key is just not to start out too fast... I find it much easier to see if you're playing too slow (the notes lag below the target line) than to see if you're playing too fast.
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, try breaking that whole group of 16th notes mentally into sections (via measure by measure). If you look at it as one whole group of fast notes , it can be overwhelming. This idea is useful in many sections of various songs. Another thing I found helps in this part is accenting downward each time you're playing another note along with the orange note (i.e. at each place where the vocalist yells "Show me!"). I found that this helped to break it up into sections....and remember, you really don't have to strum here as fast as you think you do.

If you're still confused, start the song at the beginning, but don't really bother to play well... just get a sense of the beat. Then, try to hear in your head what 16th notes would sound like with that beat. Hope this helps.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the VGSPlayer. Turn on the 'clicking' for every note and play the song over and over between those measures.

You will eventually train your brain to follow the beat if you hear the clicking pattern enough times. Your strumming hand will then want to follow the clicking beat instead of just visually guessing.

Also, the game is more lenient (with the windows around the notes) if you strum the correct total number of notes in a measure. If you need 8 Orange 1/16ths and you happen to add an extra one in the middle of the run it really gets confused and rejects a lot of correct strums. I've strummed the final note about two circular notes-lengths after it had passed but because I played the total number of required notes, it didn't give me the dreaded "plink". Sometimes the sound of the note gets cut but the combo isn't broken.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
ES942  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone seen the full vid of who was in my room last night? those look faster than fly on the wall
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES942 wrote:
anyone seen the full vid of who was in my room last night? those look faster than fly on the wall

i have not seen this full video...is there a link that i may be able to ascertain this video or am i on my own on this one?
ES942  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's arguably the best song announced so far.

Who Was In My Room Last Night
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: