ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Strumming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConsciousOne  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Strumming Reply with quote

Ok Normally i have always strummed one way except for the really fast stuff. Lately though I watched a video where this person strummed up and down for everything, fast or slow.

I have been practing up and down sturmming for everything lately, the only problem with it is some things are harder where i have to hit a bunch of different notes.

Do most of the top finishers up and down strum for everything? And after time and practice does it feel just as natural?
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you alternate strum the entire time, after about a day or so of solid play, it will become natural for you to do it. at least it did for me.
JDOmnislash  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
if you alternate strum the entire time, after about a day or so of solid play, it will become natural for you to do it. at least it did for me.

That's about how it worked for me too. Just keep at it for a long period of time and it should stick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for songs to help alt strumming, CbFH, TBW, Guitar Hero, etc will definately help with the alt strumming process
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
If you're looking for songs to help alt strumming, CbFH, TBW, Guitar Hero, etc will definately help with the alt strumming process

I would definitely go with the first two, but the only time I alternate in Guitar Hero is when the really fast Y notes come on. I would much rather recommend TbW or CFH to work on alternate strumming.
popemobile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BATM is another good song to work on alt strumming
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bark is a good song for alt strumming, but is a little too hard for some. I can't believe i totally forgot about the ultimate alternate strumming song....Unsung. there you go, all your problems are solved, just play unsung hard for about an hour or two straight and if you still can't get alt strumming right, then i'm afraid you'll be playing for another 3-5 hours straight with it
popemobile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
bark is a good song for alt strumming, but is a little too hard for some. I can't believe i totally forgot about the ultimate alternate strumming song....Unsung. there you go, all your problems are solved, just play unsung hard for about an hour or two straight and if you still can't get alt strumming right, then i'm afraid you'll be playing for another 3-5 hours straight with it

I actually do the whole song single strumming, not very hard
thekovinc  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popemobile wrote:
Fly1ngV wrote:

I actually do the whole song single strumming, not very hard

Me too... No alt strumming on Unsung at all for me.
Fly1ngV  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't imagine anyone playing it the entire way through single strumming it. i feel way too uncomfortable single strumming on ILRR, much less unsung and mark and cowboys....
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly1ngV wrote:
i can't imagine anyone playing it the entire way through single strumming it. i feel way too uncomfortable single strumming on ILRR, much less unsung and mark and cowboys....

I've always played Unsung downstrumming...granted, I can't play it more than twice in a row before my arm dies on me, but I always strum too fast when I alternate strum on it. So I guess I never really learned how to do it for that song.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just switch around from alternate to single strumming during a song. I alt strum the main riff or BatM but then single strum the rest; I alt strum the main riff of CBfH and single strum the rest; and I alt strum a couple riffs of TBW and single strum (although painfully) other parts. I just use whatever technique keeps me a longer streak.
silencer  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downstrummed every song through the game.. except expert TBW. I just couldn't beat it without alternate strumming. That song has put me in the mood to do the time to work on my alternate strumming.. still working on it, but all my other scores posted are still with downstrumming only.
JHetfield0816  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a side note...but a lot of times it helps if you pay attention to whether you begin and end certain passages on a downstrum or on an upstrum. If you're having trouble with a certain section with your right hand and you don't know why, try switching it up and start a section upstrumming where you usually start down. For example...I had some trouble with The Breaking Wheel a while ago where I started the beginning downstrumming, and then ended up on an upstrum at the beginning of the G-Y whole chord fast riff thing. But then, when I started the beginning of the song on an upstrum instead of down it fixed the entire problem.

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character." - Arnold
tommy2000  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what i do. I'm not sure about changing the way i start, but i always notice whether i finish on an upstrum or downstrum so i don't get confused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: