Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Otakon 2006
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Otakon 2006 Reply with quote

When: August 4th - 6th
Where: Batimore, MD

For those of you who don't know, Otakon is a huge annual anime convention that takes place in the Baltimore Convention Center. I'm not really an anime fan, but I attended last year with a bunch of friends to check it out and had a blast.

They've got a huge gaming hall area (where I spent almost all my time) with DDR, Beatmania, and many other games including GH this year. This year there will be two 5th mix DDR arcade machines set on free play. Last year GH was there only as a demo, which makes me think this year there could be a playable demo of GH2! (but don't quote me on that).

They run many gaming tournaments also. Last year I took part in the DDR and WC3 tournaments. I emailed Otakon a few days ago to ask if they have plans for a GH tournament, and to see if they're willing to let me manage it. When/if they respond, I'll post the details of the rules and times for signups and the tournament itself.

Those of you in the area should definately consider coming, I'll be wearing my scorehero t-shirt so everyone can spot me (since no one else has bought one yet). Matt will also be coming down from Connecticut (or Vermont?), so this is your chance to share your hatred in person where he's powerless and can't moderate your sentences .

The best way to go is to pre-register on their website www.otakon.com to guarantee yourself a ticket and to reduce the enornous 2-3 hour lines to get your ticket (there's still a line for pre-regs, but it's much shorter than the general line). The cost is $60, but the event has so much to offer for 3 days you can easily get your money's worth.

If anyone is already planning on going let me know. Hopefully I'll see a bunch of you there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time?

I am coming back from vacation on the 4th, so I might not be able to go, on the the 5th I am doing a father-son baseball game, so again, depending on the time of day I might go, and on the 6th I going to Ozzfest in the Nissan Pavilion in VA, so I won;t be able to go. Also, the drive for me is about an hour so unless I return home early on the 4th or go to Baltimore early on the 5th, I can't go, sadly.

Maybe next yer they will have both GH I and II, so I might meet you then, you will have to post when it is though.
KetchuponEggs  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, you mentioned SH shirts...where can i get one? >.>

as for going there, i'm not well known on these here forums yet, but i might go...haven't been to an anime con in a few years.

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KetchuponEggs wrote:
J, you mentioned SH shirts...where can i get one? >.>

as for going there, i'm not well known on these here forums yet, but i might go...haven't been to an anime con in a few years.

Glad to hear it.

There's a link in the Store page to the SH merchandise. But you can also use this link.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galgo wrote:
What time?

They haven't posted the full schedule yet, but last year it was like 8am-2am each day, so basically they only shutdown for 6 hours each night.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, if I can convince my parents to drive me (I only have a learner's it would easier to convince them if I could drive there myself) I would be able to go both after I get home (maybe if I am not tired from the trip from South Carolina) and before the baseball game, probably not befre Ozzfest because it starts at 10AM.

Edit:Also, if the way to Ozzfest was not the complete opposite direstion I could try to convince my plas to leave a couple hours early to make a pit stop in Baltimore.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five days until it starts. I still haven't heard back from them about the GH tournament, and I'm doubtful I will. But if I hear anything I'll update you.

The official Otakon schedule was recently posted here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds really awesome... I definitely wish I lived closer.
JCirri  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from the first day of events. I saw the AMV contest and spent a lot of time in the gaming area. There are two GH setups near the front desk area. Both are setup in multiplayer; one has speakers, the other is much harder to hear. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no GH tournament. There's a 5th mix DDR arcade there but the line was so rediculous all day that I never bothered to play.

I played a decent amount of GH the time I was there but didn't see anyone from here and there really wasn't much competition, but it was fun to play with big crowds.

Location: The Hall of the SH Council... watching... (not really)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made sure to show off, right?
Matt  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sad I got stuck in Vermont. Stupid full time job...
JCirri  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's kind of difficult to show off in multiplayer when my opponent breaks combos all the time and makes it sound like crap.. but I did my best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it the first or second one?
tommy2000  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, i wish i lived in America...kind of... no one holds anime conventions in Ireland. I went to the Playstation Experience 2 years ago and it was dreadful. I swear all the games i'd already played on the OPS2 demo disc. It was very disappointing. Plus the bus driver got lost on the way home... Oh well.
rabidkimba  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JCirri, I think we played a game on Saturday afternoon while I was playing on one of the tvs for a while. You told me about the site afterwards, so here I am! I know I don't have any scores in yet, but I'll get cracking...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: